• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filler, Upgrader, or Hoarder?

26 posts in this topic

Let's say you want an example of a particular artist... maybe even on a particular book/character. You find a decent page and check it off the list.

Then, you find a better page from that same artist and same book/run.

What style collector are you?

Do you say, "I have my example. I have moved on to other things on my list." ? (The Filler)

Do you buy the better page and flip the old one soon-ish? (The Upgrader)

Or do you keep both and keep looking for more from that run? (The Hoarder)

Hoarder/Upgrader. What I mean is I will buy the page and then hang onto both, but I am not actively searching for more pages. If I come across one, that's awesome. If however a page comes along that I really really want, then the under-example page is my first thing to go if I don't have the available capital.

I would say I'm a fusion of filler/hoarder.

I try to get at least one page for a certain character, by a certain artist, but will also go after another page of the same thing if I like it enough, even if it means not being able to check something else off the list.

Let's say you want an example of a particular artist... maybe even on a particular book/character. You find a decent page and check it off the list.

Then, you find a better page from that same artist and same book/run.

What style collector are you?

Do you say, "I have my example. I have moved on to other things on my list." ? (The Filler)

Do you buy the better page and flip the old one soon-ish? (The Upgrader)

Or do you keep both and keep looking for more from that run? (The Hoarder)

I have a list but not in a "checking off boxes" sense. I have a core list of what I like and I buy as many as I can from what I like. I have never sold so I think I am a hoarder by default in the context of this thread.

I think at the beginning I started out as a filler by default, as stuff I wanted seemed hard to come by. As time went on I guess I'd fall in the hoarder category as I don't really like the idea of selling one piece to obtain another- only to later regret selling the piece, never to lay hands on it again. I do sell stuff but it is not real often.

All of the above, it depends on the title/run.

Malvin

Agreed. For some artists/titles I'm happy to have an example. For others I need a few more

You still have your example from Preacher, right Michael?

I've been able to find a couple.

It's just taking me some time to figure out which one to let go of ???

I would say every page is different. A particular project/run isn't just a slot to be filled - every page is different and within a run I may love some and not enjoy others. If I really enjoy the art and can afford it, I try to get it. Diversity is prioritized sometimes because I would enjoy getting something different than what I already have (rather than loading up on pages which all have a similar style/feel), but it's all an individual page assessment for me.