• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody recognize this or know anything about it?

9 posts in this topic

I don't usually purchase newspaper cut outs but this was so cool I just had to. The previous owner knew nothing about it so I was wondering if anyone knows what newspaper it came from and what year it is from. It is definitely the coolest newspaper cartoon I have ever seen.

FootballCartoon%20001_zpsvx9r20q6.jpg

Jenkins Jr., Burris (1897 - 1966)

Burris Jenkins Jr. was the son of a prominent Kansas City minister, war correspondent and newspaper editor. Jenkins Jr. was a popular sports cartoonist, whose work appeared in the New York Journal-American from 1931. His humorous published verses were also popular. Although best known for his sports themes, Jenkins was also a skilled courtroom illustrator and editorial cartoonist. He was fired from his first job at the Kansas City Post for a series of pessimistic Christmas cartoons, a firing which prompted his father's resignation from the same newspaper. Among his best-remembered cartoons are his angry piece on the discovery of the dead Lindbergh baby, and his sentimental image of Babe Ruth's farewell to Yankee Stadium.

This cartoon originally appeared in the New York Journal-American in 1940 and was reprinted in many other papers. I think it was drawn to poke fun at the All-American college football selections.

They would be hard to beat with Superman. I don't think they would need Dagwood to ever come off the bench!

Here's the uncut cartoon.

burris%20mythical%20team_zpsclpql30r.jpg

I don't usually purchase newspaper cut outs but this was so cool I just had to. The previous owner knew nothing about it so I was wondering if anyone knows what newspaper it came from and what year it is from. It is definitely the coolest newspaper cartoon I have ever seen.

FootballCartoon%20001_zpsvx9r20q6.jpg

Very cool! I want one (thumbs u