• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Remove Fantastic Four #48 CGC 8.0 from case to have Stan sign it?

29 posts in this topic

definitely not.

Books do deteriorate even in a CGC slab, you more than likely will not maintain your grade. And look, I hate to say this, because I love Stan. He is a living legend and one of the people I admire most in the entire world, but The Man is getting too old to sign. Most of the Stan sigs I've got back in the last year are a mess. Scribbles, fingerprints, etc. You can't fault him because he's signing hundreds of books at a time, but the window is closed. Also, if you want to send it away, prepare to not see your book for 6 months and have 0 idea where it is until it just shows up at your doorstep again someday. Not a great feeling. That is unless you find a facilitator who let's you submit under your own account. I've enjoyed working with Anastasia's Collectibles in the past.

If you really want to do it. Get it done in person. Wait in the line. Meet The Man. Thank him for his contribution to our favorite hobby and watch him sign your book. Its an experience you'll never forget

I am in the NO camp also, simply because i don't like signatures done with sharpies. I have only had two books signed, and that was in the days when you could go to the artist's house and they would sign the books for free. I bought this at a SD Con 20 years ago. I did not have it signed, it came that way, and at no extra premium. Stan's sigs are way too common and I think the sharpie sigs destroy the cover of the book, even neatly placed. Luckily this book was signed before the advent of sharpies... Today, if ANY artist or creator volunteered to sign one of my books for FREE with a sharpie I would run like hell...away from them... lol

351ipsl.jpg

If you really want to do it. Get it done in person. Wait in the line. Meet The Man. Thank him for his contribution to our favorite hobby and watch him sign your book. Its an experience you'll never forget

Exactly.

Everyone will have an opinion about this, but it should really come down to you. Do you like signed books? Do you feel like it detracts the look of or destroys the cover?

For me, I really enjoy getting a book signed by someone involved in the creation of that book. Comic books and comic book covers are art to me. So, I feel like its having an artist sign their work. Also, in the cases where I get it done myself, it is an experience for me. Something that I will remember.

Why do we NEED to have a comic book signed? (this is not meant to be debated, I know some people prefer to have a comic signed), but what about the alternatives:

They make awesome prints/posters of covers, characters, collages etc, that fit nicely into frames that you can put on your wall. You can keep you 50+ year old book in the same nice condition, and have Stan sign a high-res print of FF 48. Frame it, and enjoy. You still have your 8.0, without risk of a bad sig or damage in handling. You get to meet Stan, you get his signature, and you minimize the risk.

In last month's comiclink auctions there were two identical grade books with same page color, one was SS with Stan Lees sig the other a regular blue label. The blue label sold for a few hundred MORE than the SS yellow book. Seems that most buyers prefer the regular blue labels. I will try to find it later if anyone wants proof.

In last month's comiclink auctions there were two identical grade books with same page color, one was SS with Stan Lees sig the other a regular blue label. The blue label sold for a few hundred MORE than the SS yellow book. Seems that most buyers prefer the regular blue labels. I will try to find it later if anyone wants proof.

Imagine that...Stan's signature actually lowers the value of a book... lol

I know I prefer the blue label. I can't stand most of what I see from Stan's signature.

While I admire the collectors that truly love getting their books signed I think the majority of these signatures are simply flippers wanting to cash in. There is an E-Bay seller with a number of DC books signed by Stan. I contacted him and his reply was people still buy the stuff. Ridiculous.

I am in the NO camp also, simply because i don't like signatures done with sharpies. I have only had two books signed, and that was in the days when you could go to the artist's house and they would sign the books for free. I bought this at a SD Con 20 years ago. I did not have it signed, it came that way, and at no extra premium. Stan's sigs are way too common and I think the sharpie sigs destroy the cover of the book, even neatly placed. Luckily this book was signed before the advent of sharpies... Today, if ANY artist or creator volunteered to sign one of my books for FREE with a sharpie I would run like hell...away from them... lol

351ipsl.jpg

You went to Stan's house? :o

Hello All,

Should I remove my Fantastic Four #48 CGC 8.0 from its case to have Stan sign it for a Signature Series label? Opinions?

I will never understand the obsession with having books signed. In my opinion it's destroying the book, regardless of who's signature it is. I watched a video of The Man signing an AF15 and it was like watching someone burn it. Again, Stan Lee is a personal hero of mine but I'd rather find a photo of him working in the studio in the early days and sign that. But there are others who strive to have him sign every book in their collection.