• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCS consignment?

18 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has sold comics through a consignment type deal with their local shop. It seems like this could be a good deal for both sides - the shop can sell a book it doesn't have in stock and make money off of it, while the seller might be able to make more on it selling this way vs selling online. I haven't tried to sell books online, so maybe I'm underestimating the upside of selling this way - but seems like it could be a hassle with no ebay rating, packaging for shipments, returns, loss claims, etc.

I did a search on the forums, but didn't turn up much about consignment - but wondering what would be a fair % split. Is a 75/25 split reasonable? Would a shop sells a $100 book to earn $25? Just wondering if anyone has heard of this type of deal - seems like it would make sense for someone looking to only sell a few pieces that they don't want to hold...

I'm pretty sure almost any shop in the world would consign your books at a 75/25 split and you should broach the subject with the LCS that you are thinking of working with.

Good luck.

Jim

Does guardian comics? I have a few longboxes of $1 books I could put out :baiting:

I did it once with my LCS, but I am a regular costumer there, so not sure if this is the everyday deal. He took 10% of the sale value of the book. His logic was if I sold it on eBay they would be taking the same amount, and this way I did not have to deal with shipping etc. I though that was more than fair.

I've done this with a 90/10 split. It work out ok. Make sure you keep good records and make an agreement about when they will notify you as to a sale. LCS owners are busy and in my case, I had to go in each week to check and see if anything sold.

I recently approached two shops in Vegas. Both have very few good back issues and my offer was to rotate 25-35 SA/BA books every two weeks. One store was sort of interested but wanted 35% of the sale price and wouldn't be responsible for any shrinkage. He said he would price them

very aggressive so that I'd get close to eBay prices to me.

The other shop said they would take five books, valued at $100 or more but wanted to keep them until they sold or six months.

I concluded it's simpler to send the books to Mycomicshop.

At my LCS, there's about 12 longboxes of dollar comics that are consignment for one person. They take up a lot of space, and they're only a dollar a piece so the store takes 50%. Which I think is fair, since it takes up so much space and they're so cheap, and most of it is junk. If I had that many comics, I'd jump all over that deal.

I did it once with my LCS, but I am a regular costumer there, so not sure if this is the everyday deal. He took 10% of the sale value of the book. His logic was if I sold it on eBay they would be taking the same amount, and this way I did not have to deal with shipping etc. I though that was more than fair.

Thanks everyone for the feedback - we've been regulars at this shop for a couple years, so I think I could work out a deal like this. I didn't want to walk in and offend or give away too much of the cut either.

I have a shortbox of comics on consignment at a LCS. I have a pretty good relationship with the owner in that I have known him nearly 30 years.

We are doing an 80/20 split, as he felt 10% wasn't worth his time ( I agree ). We also limit the value of the books to more than $50.00 as he didn't want to deal in $5 - $10 dollar stuff. We currently also capped the upper end of the value at around $300.00.

I make a list of all the books I have given to him and he signs it.

So far it is a pretty good relationship, he has sold several of my Planet Comics under copies, Hulk variants, and plenty of other $50 comics.

Don't you mean Co-signment?

You d*ck!

You too Metal!

Both of you beat me to it. lol

:facepalm:

Do we have to have that nightmare spill over into Comics General, as well?

lol

;)

years ago I did a consignment deal with a local shop with magic cards standard 75/25 split - this was way back when Legends and 3`rd series were out and prices were all over the board - anyway it was just a 2 row shoebox with a few hundred singles ..... 1`st month he wrote me a check for over 2K and needless to say within a few weeks he had his own Magic singles in the store and " didn't need mine " anymore