• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM "Whitman" copies being sold as variants - legal?

182 posts in this topic

Yeah hobby was pretty blatent. Return to this thread and explain yourself! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Maybe he was simply reiterating Hobbes' point-of-view. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"I believe it is the buyer's responsibility to educate themselves. The dealer puts a comic out at a particular price and someone buys it. I don't believe the dealer is abusing anyone or taking advantage of anyone."

"If the buyer did not take the time to research the book and come to some sort of educated decision then the buyer deserves what he gets."

Hey thats one of those "variants" yeahok.gif I will be listing soon tongue.gif

Hmm maybe i'll secon thought those giveaway comics i want off you *cackle* I jest! No way am i ever buying off hobgoblin unless i know 100% what im talking about.

Yeah hobby was pretty blatent. Return to this thread and explain yourself! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Maybe he was simply reiterating Hobbes' point-of-view. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"I believe it is the buyer's responsibility to educate themselves. The dealer puts a comic out at a particular price and someone buys it. I don't believe the dealer is abusing anyone or taking advantage of anyone."

"If the buyer did not take the time to research the book and come to some sort of educated decision then the buyer deserves what he gets."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif That's true to a point, except where the dealer crosses the threshold of affirmative misrepresentation. Then it's not caveat emptor, it's fraud. I agree with Hobby that it is the buyer's responsibility to educate themselves, but that does not mean that shady dealings should be tolerated...let alone condoned.

OK, I am sickened by a tactic that sellers are using. They are advertising their Amazing Spider-Man, or other Marvel title, comics as being Whitman variants even though they are simply the regular direct editions. AFAIK, there are NO distinguising marks on the direct edition comics that went into the Whitman 3-packs. Please, someone correct me if I amwrong in any way. Now, if I am not wrong, is it morally legal to sell such items as being variants? Wouldn't it be keyword spamming to use "Whitman" in eBay auction listings? Buyers are actually paying premiums for these comics because they think it is a variant. Also, if others are doing it, is it OK for me to do it? I got plenty of the issues in question so perhaps I should do the same? Thoughts?

Don't lie about your comics to make more money.

Hobbie, showing your true colors, eh? Scumbag.

No, I don't sell my books. But he's not really doing anything illegal. They are Whitman books, and he's calling them that. And all my books I bought in 3-packs do look slightly different than the direct editions, so they're technically variants.

I'm just saying, those of us that know better aren't going to fall for such [#@$%!!!]. FFB screwy.gif

1. I'm just saying he's technically not doing anything illegal. Being sneaky, yes. I don't like what he's doing any more than you all. But Taste asked if we thought it was illegal, I basically said no.

2. I'm not a shill of anybody. I have never been banned from these boards.

PS. I've seen much worse [#@$%!!!] on eBay that people get tricked into over bidding for. Yeah, it sucks and it's a dirty trick, but people are dumb enough to believe it and bid high. I say if they are that stupid, let them get jacked. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, all you people slamming me for this. Just realize this.

I don't sell books on eBay. And if I did, I wouldn't attempt to mislead people. Don't go judging me by thinking I'm the guy selling these books in question just from a statement I make. Because that's way off.

PS. I've seen much worse [#@$%!!!] on eBay that people get tricked into over bidding for. Yeah, it sucks and it's a dirty trick, but people are dumb enough to believe it and bid high. I say if they are that stupid, let them get jacked. confused-smiley-013.gif

Problem is, I would not call uneducated or uninformed as being stupid. Sure, maybe people should not bid large amounts of money on items they do not possess expert knowledge about, but I'm sure we've all bought various things before without a full understanding of the risks, where we have relied on the hopefully honest dealer's word that it was a legitimately advertised product.

Problem is, I would not call uneducated or uninformed as being stupid. Sure, maybe people should not bid large amounts of money on items they do not possess expert knowledge about, but I'm sure we've all bought various things before without a full understanding of the risks, where we have relied on the hopefully honest dealer's word that it was a legitimately advertised product.

Not me confused-smiley-013.gif I usually always converse with an eBay seller if I have even the slightly question about what I'm bidding on.

Not me confused-smiley-013.gif I usually always converse with an eBay seller if I have even the slightly question about what I'm bidding on.

I'm not just talking Ebay, but everything we purchase in our lives. We all buy lot's of stuff. We are also not experts in everything. Sometimes we just take the dealer's word for it, whether it's a store, a car lot, a street vendor or a plumber. The more involved you get the more you learn, but I wouldn't call beginners stupid, just newbies. Hopefully newbies don't get burned too badly or they'll never trust again.

OK, I am sickened by a tactic that sellers are using. They are advertising their Amazing Spider-Man, or other Marvel title, comics as being Whitman variants even though they are simply the regular direct editions. AFAIK, there are NO distinguising marks on the direct edition comics that went into the Whitman 3-packs. Please, someone correct me if I amwrong in any way. Now, if I am not wrong, is it morally legal to sell such items as being variants? Wouldn't it be keyword spamming to use "Whitman" in eBay auction listings? Buyers are actually paying premiums for these comics because they think it is a variant. Also, if others are doing it, is it OK for me to do it? I got plenty of the issues in question so perhaps I should do the same? Thoughts?

No, I don't sell my books. But he's not really doing anything illegal. They are Whitman books, and he's calling them that. And all my books I bought in 3-packs do look slightly different than the direct editions, so they're technically variants.

Really? How do they look different?

This is an excerpt from Doug Sulipa's market report:

sulipa.jpg

Really? How do they look different?

This is an excerpt from Doug Sulipa's market report:

sulipa.jpg

"uniformed buyers?" confused-smiley-013.gif so for cops and armed forces folks, these things are worth sumpin?

1. I'm just saying he's technically not doing anything illegal. Being sneaky, yes. I don't like what he's doing any more than you all. But Taste asked if we thought it was illegal, I basically said no.

You seem to think that Marvel books in Whitman 3-Packs are somehow different from regular Direct Market copies. They're not. Does that mean that you are stupid and deserve to get "jacked"?

You seem to think that Marvel books in Whitman 3-Packs are somehow different from regular Direct Market copies. They're not. Does that mean that you are stupid and deserve to get "jacked"?

No because I'm not bidding on these stupid books. makepoint.gif

You said:

And all my books I bought in 3-packs do look slightly different than the direct editions, so they're technically variants.

So you have bid on SOME Whitman variants, right? Want to tell us how your copies look different from regular direct market editions?

Also, the original question wasn't about you getting screwed. Taste was asking whether people thought it was ok to sell regular Direct Market books as Whitman variants when they aren't Whitman variants. You said (paraphrasing) "Sure, and if an ignorant buyer gets screwed, good for the seller."

makepoint.gif

confused.gif So if you were bidding, you'd deserve what you get, is that basically what you're saying?

Btw, I have some coverless comics from the Shrunkenhead Pedigree that I'd like to sell you for the low low price of 8x guide. I'll even make, er, give you a 100% authentic pedigree certificate. Clearly you're an insufficiently_thoughtful_person if you pass on this once in a lifetime opportunity.

You said:

And all my books I bought in 3-packs do look slightly different than the direct editions, so they're technically variants.

So you have bid on SOME Whitman variants, right? Want to tell us how your copies look different from regular direct market editions?

Also, the original question wasn't about you getting screwed. Taste was asking whether people thought it was ok to sell regular Direct Market books as Whitman variants when they aren't Whitman variants. You said (paraphrasing) "Sure, and if an ignorant buyer gets screwed, good for the seller."

makepoint.gif

I've never bid on any "whitman variants" on eBay. I never claimed to have done so. Any books I have bought from 3-packs I bought at the store, so maybe they weren't Whitman. But they are different from the direct editions nonetheless (because they're newsstands makepoint.gif)