• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you pay for this dealer overstock?

142 posts in this topic

I did it 15 years working two jobs.

I have 3 kids, one in college.

Its called Hard work, having a good business plan, having working capital, support of your wife and family, networking and knowing how to run a business.

No short cuts.

There you go, you had another job!

As a side note, what would you pay for someone to freshly bag/board, and put in order 7 long boxes of silver and bronze books? That has to be worth something here, nice neat runs in clean supplies.

have your kids do it (assuming nothing is high grade). Make it a competition. Give a prize, a prize that doesn't cost anything, like 2 extra hours of video games or something. Loser gets half an hour of extra video games.

When I look at a larger collection like that, I pay what I could sell things for immediately. So if there are 40 comics there that I know I could sell at my next con for $800 (either retail or wholesale), that's what I offer.

Then I pull out the other comics that I want to keep in my stock -- for this, maybe 2-3 boxes worth. Then I bulk wholesale the rest, and that is my immediate profit.

There is nothing in that collection (I'm assuming) that is ultra-hot or you could sell right away, so I'd be very wary of offering the guy anything.

I mean, I recently sold my convention stock (and overstock) when I moved from Chicago to Philadelphia.

I based my price on a percentage of my wall books and my quick sell/hot books plus 10 cents each for everything else (which included 8+ long boxes of Gold/Silver/Bronze plus many Coppers/Moderns).

I mean, I recently sold my convention stock (and overstock) when I moved from Chicago to Philadelphia.

I based my price on a percentage of my wall books and my quick sell/hot books plus 10 cents each for everything else (which included 8+ long boxes of Gold/Silver/Bronze plus many Coppers/Moderns).

I hope you stuck it to Hector :wishluck:

I have been full time since 2008

And you don't mess around with $5 comics! (Ok, maybe you do, I don't know, but you keep them out of the way)

Oh, he does...and they're beautiful :cloud9:

I've declined picking up the collection but I'm curious what other people in the industry would offer for the set.

So what is being shown here is very much like what I did very well with selling at New England shows from 2008-2012ish.

So how did I do it?

Easy - every buy I made, material like (most of) this was free. I would pay something approaching retail value for the top X books in the collection, and this stuff was in the noise. This left me the ability to sell this stuff at $5 and under, mostly $2 and under.

Now what happened to me when I sold bronze books that cheaply (organized, bagged an boarded) is that the same stuff would disappear over an over. So a collection like the one pictured has a lot going for it. There are a lot of Spideys and Xmen. So it would certainly be worth $1000 to fold it all into the base $5 and under stock I used to bring to shows. But not much more than that, to play the "long game".

If I did not have a show stock to fold it into I would pass unless it was bulk priced.

My $0.02.

I've declined picking up the collection but I'm curious what other people in the industry would offer for the set.

So what is being shown here is very much like what I did very well with selling at New England shows from 2008-2012ish.

So how did I do it?

Easy - every buy I made, material like (most of) this was free. I would pay something approaching retail value for the top X books in the collection, and this stuff was in the noise. This left me the ability to sell this stuff at $5 and under, mostly $2 and under.

Now what happened to me when I sold bronze books that cheaply (organized, bagged an boarded) is that the same stuff would disappear over an over. So a collection like the one pictured has a lot going for it. There are a lot of Spideys and Xmen. So it would certainly be worth $1000 to fold it all into the base $5 and under stock I used to bring to shows. But not much more than that, to play the "long game".

If I did not have a show stock to fold it into I would pass unless it was bulk priced.

My $0.02.

And that makes a lot of sense.

When I buy a collection my offer is based on what will sell quickly and will return my capital plus a profit - ideally setting up at 1 or 2 shows. Then I can price the rest at whatever I have to to generate quick sales.