• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you pay for this dealer overstock?

142 posts in this topic

Whether you are a collector or a dealer - how much would you pay for this collection? Obviously the buyer would be able to look thru all the books and tell grades but lets assume the Silver-Age books are VG/FN and the Bronze/Copper books are VF. From what you see in the pictures how much would you offer for the batch (shipping is free in this scenario). All keys and most semi keys have been picked out and the set constitutes what you would see at most tables at a small Con.

Collection%201_zpsntprfaud.jpg

Collection%203_zpswrjvdng1.jpg

Collection%202_zpsip852lxf.jpg

Collection%204_zpsu4x7iv7l.jpg

I've declined picking up the collection but I'm curious what other people in the industry would offer for the set.

Hmm, looks to be about 2000-2100 books total in 14 short boxes. Assuming if the SA section is about half that, BA/CA half this. I'd say $2500 upward to open in offer? (shrug)

That is coming from the photo, not in person to check them out all.

Hmm, looks to be about 2000-2100 books total in 14 short boxes. Assuming if the SA section is about half that, BA/CA half this. I'd say $2500 upward to open in offer? (shrug)

And that's from a strictly dealer (seller) standpoint correct? I think it will be interesting to see how much the three different perspectives (sell them all, sell most and keep a few or keep them all) come up with a number.

What would be your range be - $2,500 to start off and would go up to $3,000 in negotiations based on what you can see?

And that's from a strictly dealer (seller) standpoint correct? I think it will be interesting to see how much the three different perspectives (sell them all, sell most and keep a few or keep them all) come up with a number.

What would be your range be - $2,500 to start off and would go up to $3,000 in negotiations based on what you can see?

Yes, pretty much that. I would go up to $3,000 if I know more by viewing in person. And a dealer have to factor the burden of hauling 14 boxes around, and time in selling whatever can be sold to people at cons. Most dealers like to get some keys mixed in. The less fewer keys are in, they offer less.

If I see some that I need to keep for my own collection. Yeah, price might bump a bit. It all depends on someone wanting so badly. Grades, how good the covers, page quality, etc are all factors playing in there. From a collector's perspective.

Yes, pretty much that. I would go up to $3,000 if I know more by viewing in person. And a dealer have to factor the burden of hauling 14 boxes around, and time in selling whatever can be sold to people at cons. Most dealers like to get some keys mixed in. The less fewer keys are in, they offer less.

If I see some that I need to keep for my own collection. Yeah, price might bump a bit. It all depends on someone wanting so badly. Grades, how good the covers, page quality, etc are all factors playing in there. From a collector's perspective.

That's funny - I offered him $2,300 pretty much sight unseen ($1 a book you can't really go wrong with a bunch of Silver-Age in the batch). He said he turned down a $3,000 offer from a dealer who got a chance to look thru the books but he wants over $4,000 for the batch. I can't see going over $3,000 with no keys so I passed. Glad to hear you and I are pretty much on the same wave length. Curious what other people think.

I was at Oh joy another 1Cool dealer thread.

I would assume you would pass on the deal without keys included but I'd be interested to see what kind of offer you would make. But I'm more inclined to expect a "I'm not here to give you info or make you money" kind of response.

Of course I don't want to take away from everyone's time to give Gabe advice.

Whether you are a collector or a dealer - how much would you pay for this collection? Obviously the buyer would be able to look thru all the books and tell grades but lets assume the Silver-Age books are VG/FN and the Bronze/Copper books are VF. From what you see in the pictures how much would you offer for the batch (shipping is free in this scenario). All keys and most semi keys have been picked out and the set constitutes what you would see at most tables at a small Con.

Collection%201_zpsntprfaud.jpg

Collection%203_zpswrjvdng1.jpg

Collection%202_zpsip852lxf.jpg

Collection%204_zpsu4x7iv7l.jpg

I've declined picking up the collection but I'm curious what other people in the industry would offer for the set.

I would love to find that collection available locally for sale.

As to price I can see 2500-3000.

As usual you fail to see the big picture.

I would ask is this purchase a smart use of your capital?

If he is been sitting with it for awhile what makes you think you can sell it?

Your charming personality? Price point?

You've spoken before of being a flipper yet you look at this stuff and see what?

You think $2300-2500 of your $7K budget is smart buying "common" box stock inventory?

As an online comic dealer I would decline to bid on a collection like this. Looks like bulk silver in common grade, and bulk bronze copper in common grade.

Trying to turn a profit on inventory like this is like pushing mud with a broom, it just smears and in the end you have a bigger mess than what you started with.

As usual you fail to see the big picture.

I would ask is this purchase a smart use of your capital?

If he is been sitting with it for awhile what makes you think you can sell it?

Your charming personality? Price point?

You've spoken before of being a flipper yet you look at this stuff and see what?

You think $2300-2500 of your $7K budget is smart buying "common" box stock inventory?

Fair enough questions.

I'd think at $2,300 it would be a great use of my now $12k in available capital (especially if the $3,000 offer is legit since I think I know the other guy and he usually is frugal). I wouldn't call myself a key only flipper in that I will make bulk buys if the price is right (made two big collection purchases last year). I'd say there is good profit to be made at the $2,300 - $2,500 range but no way I'm touching it at the $3,500 - $4,000 range.

Definitely interested to hear what others feel would be a good price for the set based on their situation - thus the thread.

As an online comic dealer I would decline to bid on a collection like this. Looks like bulk silver in common grade, and bulk bronze copper in common grade.

Trying to turn a profit on inventory like this is like pushing mud with a broom, it just smears and in the end you have a bigger mess than what you started with.

Yea - online only sales would be tough for this kind of bulk books. But if you can pull out the top 30% and sell them and then blow out the rest for $1 a piece at a couple local shows (which I'd think would not be tough with the decent quality of the books) you would be way ahead with the $2,300 price tag.

Yea - online only sales would be tough for this kind of bulk books. But if you can pull out the top 30% and sell them and then blow out the rest for $1 a piece at a couple local shows (which I'd think would not be tough with the decent quality of the books) you would be way ahead with the $2,300 price tag.

I kinda see your view point, however you must factor in your cost of acquiring a customer. That includes what your time is worth and expenses. That cost is likely higher than the value of this collection, thus you have a negative value.

And what of those 30% is going to quickly get your money back?

No keys, common issues that won't sell on a website, convention costs, time to recoup capital outlay.

What do you estimate the 14 boxes retail at doing your 30%/$1 blowup analysis? I'm sure when you were looking at them you were doing the math in your head.

What is "Good profit" to you?

No you wouldn't. You'd be out both your capital and - more importantly - your time. That sort of inventory is everywhere, and at a buck a book you're overpaying. Yes, there's some good stuff in there, but you're going to sell the good stuff and be stuck with the dregs. You will double your money, but it will take you a long time and will be a hassle.

If you need some run inventory spending $1 a book would work. Judging by the pictures it's all low to mid grade and every easy to sell book has been sold. There's probably 500 books in there that'll wander out at $5 to $10 each and a lot of $1 books.

I think you answered Bob's question for me. I had 2 or 3 short boxes (250 - 375 books) in the $5/$10 range with a few $20 books like the early ASMs which always seem to sell. Silver Avengers always seem to be $5 to $10 and fairly easy sales. Hulks and most of the Silver and early Bronze X-Men are easy $5 - $10 sales depending on grades. If you can pull in $2,000 from the top 4 short boxes then the remaining 10 short boxes will mostly be profit. Then you can blow out the rest for $2,000 in $1/$2 boxes and some online sales. I'd put anticipated sales in the range of $4,000 (with a bit of time invested) which is pretty much what he wants for them. Is $1,700 - $2,000 profits (before fees) worth it? Would be to me especially if the grades are a bit better than VF for the later Bronze/Copper books.

Just read FD's comment and I agree doubling your money is probably the high end expectation and will take some time. How much would you offer - if at all? $500? $1000?