• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF1 stolen from safe

54 posts in this topic

Yikes. I know a boardie who lives in East Van and has nice books :eek: Hope its not him and that the books are recovered soon, whomever they belong to.
:wishluck:

100 lb safe don't seem all that safe. I mean can't most anyone pick that up with some effort. Now I would think 2-3 hundred pounds is safer. You would have to crack that on location.

Exactly. My gun safe is about 1200 pounds, and it's anchored to the floor with 6" lag bolts. If somebody gets it out of the house, I'd be more impressed than upset.

Sorry to read this. Too much of this kind of stuff has been happening lately. Seems like a new theft from a store or a collector every week...

I almost wonder if all the media attention something like this gets is a bad thing. Any crooks watching the news are sure to take notice of anything comic related when they B&E a house after hearing about this heist.

If they didn't know old comics were valuable, they do now (though different media outlets have reported the value of the FF1 anywhere from 5k to 500k).

There is also a comic show in the area this weekend. Hopefully the VPD will be passing around descriptions of the stolen comics to dealers at the show in case the thief is foolish/dumb enough to try unloading them there.

Sorry to read this. Too much of this kind of stuff has been happening lately. Seems like a new theft from a store or a collector every week...

I almost wonder if all the media attention something like this gets is a bad thing. Any crooks watching the news are sure to take notice of anything comic related when they B&E a house after hearing about this heist.

If they didn't know old comics were valuable, they do now (though different media outlets have reported the value of the FF1 anywhere from 5k to 500k).

I own a brick and mortar Videogame store and we buy and sell. People bring me all kinds of things unrelated to videogames hoping for a quick buck.

The idea that people looking for a quick buck might not think comics are valuable is laughable. The opposite is true. Most people not in the hobby assume all comics are valuable. Honestly, if you really want to thwart a thief then leave a few long boxes of worthless comics out in the open right next to your safe. One can only carry so much right?

For extra points stick some high price tags on these worthless books. Then write some notes with black magic marker on the box itself about the contents inside. Paid $22,500 on March 12th 2012 for uncanny X-men #500 etc. Now if that doesn't slow them down then you can always add a crate or two of old records. All records are made of gold it seems.

I hope this isn't anyone here's books! Here's hoping the VPD get them back home safe and sound ASAP.

http://www.cknw.com/2016/10/19/valuable-comics-stolen-from-100-pound-safe-in-east-van-home/

Why does anyone think a small safe is actually....safe.

We just had Peter / Comics4less have his safes stolen. Again, carried right out of his warehouse.

Bolt them down folks. If you take the time to buy a safe, don't cheap out. Spend the extra bucks, buy a good one and bolt it down.

Whoa, this is way too close to home. I've been meaning to upgrade my security but this just moved it up the priority list.

It would be just awesome if the tool walked into the comic show this weekend and tried to sell it....

Seems to me, it get more often we are seeing a lot of stolen comic books in the GA or SA levels by thieves lately. That is scary to think as collectors ourselves. Now this one right here near me?

The thing about the safe having this book inside. Didn't we had a thread talking about rust on staples going fast to decompose into dust? I wonder if the collector was aware of that, and had taken precautions to that? I hope so.

The thing about the safe having this book inside. Didn't we had a thread talking about rust on staples going fast to decompose into dust? I wonder if the collector was aware of that, and had taken precautions to that? I hope so.

True enough. Gotta be careful storing your books in improper safes (tsk)

What a horrible article. Copies of Fantastic Four #1 in various grades are up for sale at almost any given time, so we're supposed to look at copies of one for sale as being suspicious? :screwy: The article is totally useless and gives NO information about how to identify the stolen copy. The article references what the CGC 9.6 copy sold for, but for all we know this copy is coverless. Some indication of slabbed vs. non-slabbed, grade, etc would have been useful.

The article is totally useless and gives NO information about how to identify the stolen copy. The article references what the CGC 9.6 copy sold for, but for all we know this copy is coverless. Some indication of slabbed vs. non-slabbed, grade, etc would have been useful.

I agree. The article is no help at all. There's possibly 100's of copies of FF #1 in the Vancouver area. The book is not rare. It's just tough in high grade. I kept skimming the article looking for something to identify this copy by.