• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS (3/22/19)
2 2

292 posts in this topic

Saw it last night, I’d say it was a fun summer movie. They still could edit out probably 45 mins to an hour of the ‘human story’ and just let the movie be what it is...cool monster vs monster action cinema. 

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It is looking like the Monsterverse Franchise is a case of diminishing returns for now.

Godzilla_BO190728a.thumb.PNG.b128142e540eb27ddf33e42210913af6.PNG

Hopefully, with the upcoming Godzilla vs Kong they target a massively solid film.

I’m a little surprised by this. Ugh, kids these days don’t know what they are missing out on...

...or is it parents don’t like the violence of monster movies?

I was disappointed with King of Monsters though. Both the last two Godzilla movies would have be much much better if they simply did the monster fight scenes in the day time. The scenes were just to dark. I really hope that is not the case with Godzilla VS Kong.

Edited by Xenosmilus

Finally bought/saw this yesterday. Very mediocre.

Way too much human BS. Just let the freaking giant monsters brawl.

Not a fan of the MUTO still being alive. Would've been better if Godzilla murdered the last 2 on Earth. Also doesn't make sense that it bows to him at the end, when it did nothing of the sort in the 2014 film.

The entire 'development' and use of most human characters was completely stupid. I do love that Watanabe's character sacrificed himself to feed Godzilla. That was a really good scene IMO.

The CGI was great. I have heard otherwise, but it all looked relatively perfect. I was disappointed that Mothra died. I was also disappointed that her string didn't kill Rodan. A lot of nonsense story-wise in this movie.

Overall a 3.5/5, I guess. The fact that the "Alpha Signal" didn't trigger Kong also makes no sense. And what of the other 10 or so titans that weren't in Boston taking a bow...?

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Finally bought/saw this yesterday. Very mediocre.

The big question is was it better than X-Men: Dark Phoenix?

I haven't seen either one yet, but both are upcoming on my que for this summer.

Which one should I see first?

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I haven't seen it...

I do recommend seeing King of the Monsters, regardless of its flaws. It was relatively fun.

It just doesn't feel as good, or as "fun", as the 2014 movie was. While Godzilla had a lot of human perspective, it didn't push a human-controlled agenda. King of the Monsters relies far too heavily on the human element to move the plot. It doesn't feel natural or 'realistic'.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

the 2014 movie

I loved that 2014 movie because of Bryan Cranston. I wasn't one of those dudes who got disappointed because Godzilla showed up in the end. I seriously had friends that were affected by Fukushima in Japan, so Godzilla 2014 hit home with me.

Kong Skull Island was ok, but I was comparing it to Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Fair enough I will check this out first over X-Men: Dark Phoenix.

CC

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

:roflmao:

I'd like to know how Toy Story 4 compares to Avengers: Endgame. Because - you know - my time is very limited and I can only watch one film. So I have to force them into a match-up. Especially both being team films.

:nyah:

:baiting:

There are any number of reasons as to why the film stumbled, among them competition from Avengers: Endgame and Aladdin, the above-noted mixed reviews, the five-year-gap between installments (which did nothing for Pacific Rim: Uprising or The LEGO Movie 2), and the underestimation in audiences' interest in a "Godzilla versus monsters only your super-geek friends have heard of" sequel. But, just as Marvel (and DC Films) have allowed superhero movies to dominate by virtue of approximating rival genres, so too might Godzilla: King of the Monsters have ironically been stymied by five years' worth of buzzy successes within the specific realm of monster movies. King of the Monsters wasn't remotely the only game in town.

In the five years between Gareth Edwards' Godzilla and Michael Dougherty's Godzilla: King of the Monsters, we've had two huge Jurassic World movies ($1.671 billion in 2015 and $1.31 billion in 2018) and one ill-received Pacific Rim sequel ($275 million in 2018, all from Universal and Legendary. But Warner Bros., both with and without Legendary, has also offered a handful of popular, well-liked and comparatively more crowd-pleasing monster movies within the last five years. Kong: Skull Island ($568 million in 2017), intended as a prequel to Godzilla and King of the Monsters, blended big movie stars (Tom Hiddleston, Sam Jackson and Brie Larson) with broad-daylight action and more conventional monster mash action.

Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema's Rampage ($428 million in 2018) offered Dwayne Johnson and a host of colorful character actors facing off against three giant, city-destroying beasts (a giant gorilla, a giant crocodile and a giant wolf) amid a big-scale part-campy/part-scary (but in a kid-friendly fashion) action romp. And Warner Bros.' The Meg, arguably the first Hollywood/China co-production to score huge on both shores ($144 million domestic, $153 million in China and $530 million worldwide in 2018), offered Jason Statham and Li Bingbing doing battle with a giant shark in a kid-friendly action romp. To the extent King of the Monsters was merely "okay," it was outclassed by recent kajiu-type movies from its own studio.

Prestigious cast (including Kyle Chandler as the ultimate Gary Stu, along with Ken Watanabe, Millie Bobby Brown, Vera Farmiga and Zhang Zyi) aside, it lacked the butts-in-the-seats/added-value element stars of The Meg, Rampage and Skull Island, while also lacking the IP value of a Jurassic Park movie. Nor did it have the colorful human characters (John C. Reilly's World War II vet in Skull Island, Jeffrey Dean Morgan's cowboy government agent in Rampage, Bryce Dallas Howard's "doing it backwards and in heels" heroine in Jurassic World, etc.) that provided entertainment value even when the monsters weren't mashing. More so than its peers, King of the Monsters bet everything on "Do you want to see another Godzilla movie?"

We'll see if Adam Wingard’s Kong VS. Godzilla can restore Legendary and WB's "monster verse" to its “$525 million-plus on an over/under $175 million budget” glory next March, presuming it doesn’t get delayed.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

my time is very limited and I can only watch one film

Honestly, my time is very limited. Still haven't seen one Tom Cruise Mission Impossibe movie or John Wick Trilogy(which I should). Only saw one Harry Potter movie and still have not seen James Bond Spectre and Incredibles 2. I also haven't watched Game of Thrones since season 4. It`s hard for me to keep up with all this stuff.

I plan to see both the new Godzilla and X-Men movie but I wanted to see which @theCapraAegagrus recommended first because they both got mediocre reviews. I absolutely hated X-Men Apocalypse and had hoped he would tell me  X-Men: Dark Phoenix is better than that.

Loved Logan and X-Men Days of Future Past but most X-Men movies can be a hit or miss.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

11 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Honestly, my time is very limited. Still haven't seen one Tom Cruise Mission Impossibe movie or John Wick Trilogy(which I should). Only saw one Harry Potter movie and still have not seen James Bond Spectre and Incredibles 2. I also haven't watched Game of Thrones since season 4. It`s hard for me to keep up with all this stuff.

I plan to see both the new Godzilla and X-Men movie but I wanted to see which @theCapraAegagrus recommended first because they both got mediocre reviews. I absolutely hated X-Men Apocalypse and had hoped he would tell me  X-Men: Dark Phoenix is better than that.

Loved Logan and X-Men Days of Future Past but most X-Men movies can be a hit or miss.

Oh, I get it about time management. Even with all your posts about 'Marvel dominates and wins'. :baiting:

Watch what you want. But it is funny. :foryou:

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i can't get into Godzilla movies like i could when i was younger but i know they are usually a good money making movie  ! especially when you factor in Asian audiences ...

I thought Godzilla KotM was good. Not as powerful as I expected from the trailers. But with all the films out now, 'good' ain't bad.

But when I watched Shin Godzilla recently, I can see why people talk this film up. Not only is the Big Monster the focus, but also the humans and how modern bureaucracy would disrupt taking action against a crazy situation like this no matter how big the threat. You see in-fighting between the government departments, changes in leadership causing further delays and even the humans overwhelmed in seeing this massive creature tearing up their country. I was surprised how much I liked it.

But I will still take big monster fights any day, if the film can pull it together in a great way.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Oh, I get it about time management. Even with all your posts about 'Marvel dominates and wins'. :baiting:

Watch what you want. But it is funny. :foryou:

It`s funny that you seemed to be protecting Dark Phoenix X-Men for some reason?

I haven't watched it or the Godzilla movie. I will have my blunt reviews at the end of the month about both of them.

Love ya always. CC

:foryou:

4 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It`s funny that you seemed to be protecting Dark Phoenix X-Men for some reason?

I haven't watched it or the Godzilla movie. I will have my blunt reviews at the end of the month about both of them.

Love ya always. CC

:foryou:

No, I am just sick of the silly tearing down of films even before they come out. Or in this case, the details started leaking out how this was tampered with due to the acquisition. So it makes it VERY EASY for the already-negative to pile on even more and dance around the campfire.

If that's funny, then I guess I'm laughing. But not, as now we have another wasted comic book film due to studio tampering. That to me is a huge missed opportunity.

Edited by Bosco685