• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Despise of Hobgoblin Thread !!!

96 posts in this topic

Yeah, it's a tough racket indeed. Publish or perish and all that. The job market is getting a little better than it was 10 years ago, though.

The dissertation is going to focus on various strains of renaissance occultism...I'll be looking at a lot of texts that usually fly under the radar of your everyday english literary studies. Currently collecting the research for the first chapter, which is about "the secret lives of alchemists." Come to think of it, I think I sent you a book awhile back on alchemy in exchange for some comics, yeah?

Yeah, you did. As I was typing I realized that we had had this discussion before via PM. foreheadslap.gif

Okay, well, I've had my fun for the night. I always love calling it a night after reading posts which make me shoot my glass of milk through my nostrils. 27_laughing.gif

Peace.

Milk...it does a body good. No guarantees on grammar though confused-smiley-013.gif

Ease up...take a walk...clear your mind... we'll be here to torment you when you return! devil.gif

THESE SONGS SUCK!!!!!

Don't make me pull out the Adverb song. frustrated.gif

Too funny....I have the School House Rock DVD for this and my 3-year old son plays them every night foreheadslap.gif

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here!!

Three is a magic number....

THESE SONGS SUCK!!!!!

Too funny....I have the School House Rock DVD for this and my 3-year old son plays them every night foreheadslap.gif

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here!!

Three is a magic number....

VERB! That's what's happenin'!

I can take a noun and bend it...give me a noun! yay.gif

THESE SONGS SUCK!!!!!

Lolly Lolly Lolly get your adverbs here

Lolly Lolly Lolly got some adverbs here

Come on down to Lolly's get the adverbs here

You're going to need if you write or read

or even think about it.

Got a lot of Lolly jolly adverbs here

Anything you need and we can make it absolutely clear

An adverb is a word

(That's all it is, and there's a lot of 'em)

That modifies a verb

(Sometimes a verb, sometimes)

It modifies an adjective,

Or else another adverb

And so you see that it's positively

very very necessary.

Father, son and Lolly selling adverbs here

Got a lot of adverbs and we make it clear

So come to Lolly

(Hello, folks. This is Lolly Senior saying

we have every adverb in the book.

So come on in and look.

Hello, folks. Lolly Junior here. Suppose

your house needs painting. How are you going to

paint it? That's where the adverb comes in.

We can also give you a special intensifier so

you can paint it very neatly or rather sloppily.

Hi. Suppose you're going nut-gathering.

Your buddy wants to know where and when.

Use an adverb and tell him.)

Get your adverbs

Use it with an adjective it says much more

Anything described can be described some more

Anything you'd ever need is in the store

And so you choose very carefully

Every word you use.

Use it with a verb it tells us how you did

Where it happened where you're going

Where you've been

Use it with another adverb at the end

And even more

How where or when, condition or reason

These questions are answered

When you use an adverb

Come and get it!

Quickly quickly quickly get your adverbs here

Slowly surely really learn your adverbs here

You're going need 'em if you read 'em

if you write or talk or think about it

Lolly ... Lolly ... Lolly (etc during voice over).

(If it's an adverb we have it at Lolly's!

Bring along your old adjectives too, like slow, soft and sure.

We'll fit them out with our -ly attachment

And make perfectly good adverbs out of them)

Get your adverbs here!

Lots of good tricks at Lolly's so come on down!

Lolly Lolly Lolly

Adverbs deal with manner, place, time

Lolly Lolly Lolly

Condition, reason

Father Son and Lolly

Comparison, contrast

Lolly Lolly Lolly

Enrich your language with adverbs

Lolly Lolly Lolly

Besides, they're absolutely free!

Lolly Lolly Lolly

At your service!

Indubitably!

grin.gif

That's not the one I was thinking of...

There was a link to the previous drama (ie Khurst34's interesting pricing analysis). He left for about a week and then came back as Hobby.

Moderns pricing

"Peace boards. I'm off. Have fun being dickheads. I NEVER said anything about things being worth whatever you want them to be. Stupid . Homes and cars depreciate in condition, which is why the value goes down. But comics books don't if you keep them in the right conditions. So why do they suffer the rath of depreciation as well? I'm just asking you to reflect on that point. Peace out."

That's the one. I read that thread slack jawed with awe.

The one where he said that items are worth whatever the seller thinks it's worth even though in a free market, the sale would be a drastically lower level? poke2.gif

That's not the one I was thinking of...

There was a link to the previous drama (ie Khurst34's interesting pricing analysis). He left for about a week and then came back as Hobby.

Moderns pricing

"Peace boards. I'm off. Have fun being dickheads. I NEVER said anything about things being worth whatever you want them to be. Stupid . Homes and cars depreciate in condition, which is why the value goes down. But comics books don't if you keep them in the right conditions. So why do they suffer the rath of depreciation as well? I'm just asking you to reflect on that point. Peace out."

That's the one. I read that thread slack jawed with awe.

The one where he said that items are worth whatever the seller thinks it's worth even though in a free market, the sale would be a drastically lower level? poke2.gif

Exactly, reading it, it was a lot of this 893whatthe.gif, this 27_laughing.gif and more of this 893whatthe.gif

"I took tech writing, it was a requirement. It was the easiest class I ever took.

For engineers, all you really have to know when writing something is to discuss what you did, how you did it, and what happened. Read some scientific journals and you'll know what I mean. I bet you could catch several gramatical errors in just about every article. A thesis or dissertation is no different. It may be for other majors. I'm sure you can't get away with such things when writing a dissertation for a PhD in sociology, but engineering, it doesn't have to be perfect."

Hobby, Hobby, Hobby....I have no beef with you on the boards, enjoy your freedom of speech. BUT, I just cringed while reading your previous statement about engineering. Engineering is all about perfection, or at least the attempt to be as perfect as possible. Engineering is about public safety. If you lose the trust of the public then that little piece of paper that you picked up in college is worthless.

If the wording or grammar in your design/report is incorrect then the person who is reading/interpreting it could make a mistake of disasterous proportions. Writing a report that can be understood by the average Joe is a major consideration. Who's constructing all of the buildings, dams, bridges, etc?......Not the engineer, he's the idea man. It's those "unskilled" construction workers that are doing the actual work. I put unskilled in quotes as the workers skills are actually highly defined and far from unskilled. If you as an engineer can't get your concept correctly across to the people implementing it...well...then you are not meeting your end of the bargin.

All that being said...the posts made on a internet bulletin board obviously don't need to be perfect. Casualness and slang is the norm here, so feel free to make as many mistakes as you please. But, don't equate such mistakes to being acceptable in the real business world.

Please accept any grammar or composition mistakes in this post with understanding. All that professionalism talk is true. But if I ain't a getting paid fer it then the hek wit all u peoples. stooges.gif

Brian Cantrell, P.E.

Tennessee Tech - 86

This thread is coming along nicely. I figure Hobby will be off the boards very shortly. I give him a couple months.

893whatthe.gif........so your plan has come together then....... ........ hail.gif

gossip.gif"....envelopes.....lots and lots of pretty white envelopes...." ....... devil.gif

This thread is coming along nicely. I figure Hobby will be off the boards very shortly. I give him a couple months.

893whatthe.gif........so your plan has come together then....... ........ hail.gif

gossip.gif"....envelopes.....lots and lots of pretty white envelopes...." ....... devil.gif

screwy.gif

screwy.gif

Check your mail.