• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Wolverine 10 (Sabretooth vs Wolverine) lose a lot of steam?

47 posts in this topic

Is wolverine alive yet? Or still encased in adamantium?

I think he's still encased

but I figured wait until Logan's birthday comes around and Sabretooth might crack him out for a whoopin'

Yeah. Sabretooth is still "inverted" after the AXIS "event" and on Magneto's Uncanny X-Men team. He's kinda acting like the 80's Wolverine to a degree with being a lot more gruff, instead of playing Daddy Wolverine like Logan had for the past decade after he became an Avenger & had a bunch of kids running around.

And real Wolverine is still an adamantium statue sitting somewhere. No real idea of where it is currently though (probably some super secret vault or something, considering that Kitty could just kinda phase into it & yank his body out of the casing or Mags could peel it off of him & they could hand wave "oh, he was dying so badly from the hot metal that his healing factor went into overdrive & now he's awesome again" and boom, wolverine is back)

I feel like this book used to be more in demand. ?

The book did seem to be much hotter in the 90s when Iron Fist 14 took off.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to get now than in the 90's for sure

That's the problem with hot Moderns from a valuation point of view.

Similar to new cars, generally they all tend to depreciate in value as time goes on. :tonofbricks::(

If people made a "The official Wolverine#10 Appreciation/Discussion Thread" or a "Celebrate Sienkewicz!" thread, I am sure the boards could pump it back up.

There is only so much "investor" money around to push books up, and someone needs to shine a spotlight on something to trigger the rush, to reduce the available inventory, to get the big bounce.

A book like Wolverine #10 will never be hard to fine, so you'd have to "value add" it by talking about having it 9.8, or some 10.0 selling for $20,000, or find some sort of "error" variant for people to chase.

Long term "collector" minor keys like Wolverine #10 have all come down in value in the current bubble as the hot money has passed them by in favour of things that can have their supply eradicated and demand sent to the moon.

Personally, I see books like these as buying opportunities. Star Wars #1 9.8 was a good example of a book I grabbed before the bubble money hit it. There are a lot of Wolverine #10 books out there to be gotten in UHG cheap while the speculator eye of sauron is looking elsewhere.

I feel like this book used to be more in demand. ?

The book did seem to be much hotter in the 90s when Iron Fist 14 took off.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to get now than in the 90's for sure

That's the problem with hot Moderns from a valuation point of view.

Similar to new cars, generally they all tend to depreciate in value as time goes on. :tonofbricks::(

If people made a "The official Wolverine#10 Appreciation/Discussion Thread" or a "Celebrate Sienkewicz!" thread, I am sure the boards could pump it back up.

There is only so much "investor" money around to push books up, and someone needs to shine a spotlight on something to trigger the rush, to reduce the available inventory, to get the big bounce.

A book like Wolverine #10 will never be hard to fine, so you'd have to "value add" it by talking about having it 9.8, or some 10.0 selling for $20,000, or find some sort of "error" variant for people to chase.

Long term "collector" minor keys like Wolverine #10 have all come down in value in the current bubble as the hot money has passed them by in favour of things that can have their supply eradicated and demand sent to the moon.

Personally, I see books like these as buying opportunities. Star Wars #1 9.8 was a good example of a book I grabbed before the bubble money hit it. There are a lot of Wolverine #10 books out there to be gotten in UHG cheap while the speculator eye of sauron is looking elsewhere.

Or is the problem that Wolverine 10 is no longer what it was when it came out and is now just another Wolverine vs. Sabretooth issue? I don't think it has the same place in Marvel continuity (pretending for a moment that Marvel still has some kind of continuity) that it used to have.

Or is the problem that Wolverine 10 is no longer what it was when it came out and is now just another Wolverine vs. Sabretooth issue? I don't think it has the same place in Marvel continuity (pretending for a moment that Marvel still has some kind of continuity) that it used to have.

I would agree if it wasnt generally true across all the "collector" keys (semi/minor keys).

If they announced a Sabretooth solo movie 10 would be $1000+ in 9.8 over night. There is a lot of speculative money sloshing around, imo because its a huge bubble and 0% interest rates, and that money tends to quickly move books while leaving other books behind.

Once the gap relative to other books grows bigger enough, the price will correct as people start to see the books as "cheap".

Had a similar discussion about books like GSX #1, X-Men #94, FF #48, SW#1 pre spec boost, DD#168 pre-spec boost, CA#100, etc etc.

Well keep in mind at the time both Wolverine and Sabretooth were hot. They hadn't fought a whole lot of times and this was their 1st meeting. Which has been retconned with Origin. It will still hold some value, but no where near what it used to command even in high grade.

212 & 213 are the same thing + X-men fans are so pissed at Marvel they wont even by back issues anymore. lol

I would agree if it wasnt generally true across all the "collector" keys (semi/minor keys).

We aren't talking about keys here, we're talking about a book that used to kind of matter.

If they announced a Sabretooth solo movie 10 would be $1000+ in 9.8 over night. There is a lot of speculative money sloshing around, imo because its a huge bubble and 0% interest rates, and that money tends to quickly move books while leaving other books behind.

Why would this book get any attention? Why not any Sabretooth keys or the other two dozen Wolverine/Sabretooth books (especially UXM 212)?

Once the gap relative to other books grows bigger enough, the price will correct as people start to see the books as "cheap".

This book is still overpriced.

Had a similar discussion about books like GSX #1, X-Men #94, FF #48, SW#1 pre spec boost, DD#168 pre-spec boost, CA#100, etc etc.

Those books all matter in ways that Wolverine 10 does not. It's not a matter of Wolverine 10 being down because it doesn't have any current attention while other books are hot, Wolverine 10 is just nothing.

We aren't talking about keys here, we're talking about a book that used to kind of matter.

Why would this book get any attention? Why not any Sabretooth keys or the other two dozen Wolverine/Sabretooth books (especially UXM 212)?

This book is still overpriced.

Those books all matter in ways that Wolverine 10 does not. It's not a matter of Wolverine 10 being down because it doesn't have any current attention while other books are hot, Wolverine 10 is just nothing.

^^

X212-213 are far better. They are the real "first battle" between the two.

It seemed like the big boost for Wolverine 10 came well after its release (several years later). It always seemed like an artificial pump to me (possibly Wizard-induced, but I can't remember). I collected the series from the first issue and up through the 40's or 50's numbering. I don't remember 10 being any different from issue 8 where the Hulk guest-starred: Books like this had a minor bump over common issue prices, but I can't recall anyone caring about its significance in the Wolvie/Saber history. I only mention it because, again, it just seemed like a very artificial hype that came out of nowhere a few years later and all of a sudden the book was commanding outrageous prices. I never understood it.

It seemed like the big boost for Wolverine 10 came well after its release (several years later). It always seemed like an artificial pump to me (possibly Wizard-induced, but I can't remember). I collected the series from the first issue and up through the 40's or 50's numbering. I don't remember 10 being any different from issue 8 where the Hulk guest-starred: Books like this had a minor bump over common issue prices, but I can't recall anyone caring about its significance in the Wolvie/Saber history. I only mention it because, again, it just seemed like a very artificial hype that came out of nowhere a few years later and all of a sudden the book was commanding outrageous prices. I never understood it.

Whether it was Wizard-induced or not, the bump was real.

I remember because I bought my Wolverine # 10 literally two months before it broke out. I was missing only issues 7-10, and they were each $3.50 apiece back issues at my LCS.

The only reason I bought # 10 that day rather than # 7 was I thought it'd be better to have # 10 to current, rather than # 11-current plus # 1-7.

Fast forward a year, and Wolverine # 1 and # 10 were both $22 wall books, while 2-9 languished in the bins.

But, as others have said, the reason for the book being a key (Wolverine & Sabretooth's first _chronological_ meeting and the origin of their mutual hatred) has been retconned out, probably several times over.

But at the time, in terms of Wolverine mythology, it was the equivalent of Detective # 168 with the definitive Red Hood origin of the Joker.

Today Wolverine # 10 is analogous to Batman # 428 -- also a former key due to retcons. 428 ceased to be important when a) Batman got a new Robin (in Tim Drake) and b) Jason Todd ceased to be dead.

As someone else noted earlier, as soon as Origin revealed Creed had met Logan earlier, Wolverine 10 ceased to be an important key.