• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

God Particle (Cloverfield 3) - 2/24/2017

57 posts in this topic

Netflix's 'Cloverfield Paradox' Premieres Tonight After The Super Bowl

maxresdefault-6-1200x675.jpg%3Fwidth=960

As rumored, Netflix just dropped a “surprise” teaser trailer for the third film in the Cloverfield series. There have been rumblings about the $40 million sci-fi thriller, original titled God Particle and now titled The Cloverfield Paradox, going from Paramount to Netflix due to issues with quality and/or cost (and JJ Abrams being unable to massage the final product due to new Star Wars commitments). And, since we just got a commercial for the movie, courtesy of Netflix, it seems that it’s all true. Moreover, the movie will debut tonight, presumably after the game ends.

It is beyond unfortunate that the Cloverfield series has gone from a “Look what we can do!” buzz-driven hit before a deluge of tentpole-y Paramount hits in 2008 to one of the lone profitable releases in 2016 to a project that is unworthy (or not worth the expense) of a theatrical release in 2018. When you look at Paramount’s choice to let Annihilation go to Netflix overseas, it’s telling that the studio is letting the proverbial 2018 versions of Arrival and 10 Cloverfield Lane, arguably their only unmitigated 2016 hits, go to the streaming service either overseas or in all markets.

Now you can make a case that Netflix investing in mid-to-low budget studio programmers for overseas distribution may be a net positive since studios would be more likely to invest bigger bucks in something like Shaft if they knew that they were only on the hook for domestic box office results. As an American, I’m happy I’ll still get to see Annihilation and New Line’s Shaft on the big screen, even if my overseas readers might not. But for this to work long term, the “big” movies that Netflix releases and/or produces have to be good.

It had some good parts but some of it really didn't make sense. It was very mixed like the original but not as good. C/C+

I'll still watch the next one.

Edited by Rip

5 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Just watched it. Awful. Think cheap Event Horizon ripoff with an inexplicable Cloverfield tie-in. The Story makes zero sense in light of the original. Wish I had that 100 minutes back.

Yea it had "Event Horizon ripoff" written all over it. I kept saying the same thing while watching. The number of plot holes are huge. Although I think maybe the original Cloverfield, and the other movie takes place on other earths. Even with that in mind the number of things that really didn't make sense are huge.

Edited by Rip

My biggest problems with the "movie" (can't believe they wasted $40 million on this)...

Spoiler

The main premise that the earth is on the verge of war over a lack of power doesn't make any sense in the context of the original Cloverfield. There was no discussion of any power shortage when the monster appeared and started destroying the city in the original. 

If they had just had the spaceship up there as part of some secret government mission that would have solved the main problem that kept any sort of continuity with the "original". Quotes are appropriate here because this was clearly not a Cloverfield movie. Just because you put "Slusho" on a cup aboard the spaceship doesn't make it Cloverfield.

On 2/5/2018 at 1:39 PM, nearmint said:

Great cast, and I had high hopes for the first half-hour.  Then it slipped into sci-fi cliches.

Spoiler

I couldn't help but think of Adams Family when the arm was running around. Adams Family is not the right tone for an Event Horizon-esque sci-fi horror movie.

Edited by Red84

13 hours ago, Red84 said:

My biggest problems with the "movie" (can't believe they wasted $40 million on this)...

Hide contents

The main premise that the earth is on the verge of war over a lack of power doesn't make any sense in the context of the original Cloverfield. There was no discussion of any power shortage when the monster appeared and started destroying the city in the original. 

If they had just had the spaceship up there as part of some secret government mission that would have solved the main problem that kept any sort of continuity with the "original". Quotes are appropriate here because this was clearly not a Cloverfield movie. Just because you put "Slusho" on a cup aboard the spaceship doesn't make it Cloverfield.

The Earth in Paradox is not the same Earth as the one in the original Cloverfield. 

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

The Earth in Paradox is not the same Earth as the one in the original Cloverfield. 

Then that kind of makes the original even less important.

I'm not a fan of an extended universe that is built based on the premise of JJ Abrams findings movie ideas floundering in their production and then adding some clover field dust to them to create some interest.

2 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Then that kind of makes the original even less important.

I'm not a fan of an extended universe that is built based on the premise of JJ Abrams findings movie ideas floundering in their production and then adding some clover field dust to them to create some interest.

That is the entire problem with these movies, they insist on being collected under the Cloverfield umbrella but refuse to substantially align with themselves with the original film. The audience didn't know what to expect with 10 Cloverfield Lane and were left with questions but mostly let it go because the majority it was a good movie. The insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in charge of the advertising for Paradox decided to blatantly make it appear as though this movie was tied directly to the original Cloverfield in their trailer yesterday, but having watched it, it has very little to do with the original. At some point the audience is going to get tired of being fooled, especially since it would appear that the controlling parties have zero interest in ever producing another Cloverfield movie that features the actual monster.

6 minutes ago, darkstar said:

That is the entire problem with these movies, they insist on being collected under the Cloverfield umbrella but refuse to substantially align with themselves with the original film. The audience didn't know what to expect with 10 Cloverfield Lane and were left with questions but mostly let it go because the majority it was a good movie. The insufficiently_thoughtful_persons in charge of the advertising for Paradox decided to blatantly make it appear as though this movie was tied directly to the original Cloverfield in their trailer yesterday, but having watched it, it has very little to do with the original. At some point the audience is going to get tired of being fooled, especially since it would appear that the controlling parties have zero interest in ever producing another Cloverfield movie that features the actual monster.

It's like making a Godzilla extended universe but never including Godzilla.

I spent 5 minutes in the Cloverfield subreddit today (which I didn't even know was a thing since I had no idea how popular the Cloverfield property was) and apparently the scientist, played by Donal Logue, on the television in Paradox is the brother of John Goodman's character in 10 Cloverfield Lane. So they make some effort to tie these movies together, but the audience isn't going to pick up on that unless they read about it on the internet, so is it anything more than an easter egg? 

It is clear they just want to generate money based on the name recognition (which is again shocking to me, because I don't even understand how the Cloverfield name carries that much weight) without spending the required amount of money necessary to put the actual monster on screen for an extended period of time and that is fine. But with these small budget horror/sci-fi movies if they are going to keep pulling them off the scrap heap and advertising them as being part of the Cloverfield universe, they need to do a much better job tying the films together. Of course releasing three movies that appear to take place in 3 different timelines/earths/universes pretty much torpedoes the idea of ever tying them together in any meaningful way.  

16 minutes ago, Red84 said:

It's like making a Godzilla extended universe but never including Godzilla.

That Godzilla movie with Bryan Cranston became pretty intolerable when they decided to repeatedly cut away from showing the monsters fighting. I mean they have a scene in that movie where a door literally closes to prevent the audience from seeing Godzilla fight. Unbelievable. 

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

Loved the original... did not enjoy this one at all.  Ditto everyone else for the threadbare linkage to the original movie.  And ditto on it giving flashbacks to watching Event Horizon in the theater... and that was just a terrible terrible movie itself.

I rewatched the original last night. It would be great if they would do an actual sequel where we saw what happened next. You know, like what a sequel is supposed to do.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:34 PM, Red84 said:

I rewatched the original last night. It would be great if they would do an actual sequel where we saw what happened next. You know, like what a sequel is supposed to do.

Yep.  and the story is wide open for a sequel.  what happens to the monser?  when its mom arrives?  etc.
other 2 'cloverfields' a waste of space.  I just dont get it.
Its like if they did a batman movie then batman 2 was about thor or something-