• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st books ever back from CGC. Well, that was a disaster. Lesson learned hard way

103 posts in this topic

I gotta lay down. I'm going about this too fast. Patience, Grasshopper.

Please feel free to Thread-. I deserve it.

No, brother.... you don't deserve it...... no one deserves a hosing. There's sellers right here on this forum that could have hooked you up with those books at decent prices....... start building a network of friends and trusted associates...... some shops are OK, but there are plenty that just want to make the dollar. In the beginning, it might also be to your advantage to just get them already slabbed if that's what you want. It's the best way I know to learn how to grade. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....PM me your address and I'll send you a stack of cool books for free, to help keep you from becoming bitter..... I'm not joking.

Now THIS.....is a first class gesture! One of the reasons I love this place. For the OP: You don't have to follow all the advice you get on here, but it is certainly food for thought. A lot of the experiences passed on to you here are from people who already learned the hard way, so, in effect, they've done a lot of your homework for you.

As to that LCS....well, there are a lot of them who do that the uninformed sadly---so remember that the next time you're about to drop some nice $$$---look for the good people who have treated you well and do business with those trustworthy individuals---they earned it.

My advice to you is to lock up your wallet until you know what you are buying, why you are buying it and certainly know AND understand what price you are paying for said book(s). If you don't, you will simply have a mish-mash of books in some of the grades you want....and after you've brought yourself up to speed on things, will seriously find yourself in the hole with over-valued books and lots of bad taste in your mouth....

Sincerest wishes for good luck though....always nice to see another collector come back into the hobby/sport....

Kindest regards,

V.

There were two batches of books in the shipment to CGC. One from the Big City LCS and some raw books I bought at Bedrock City Comics in Texas.

I travel to Houston a lot and visit every Bedrock City shop (all 5) every time I'm there. The other batch of books came from Bedrock. They were all graded spot on by Bedrock with what came back from CGC and priced fairly against GPA, I think. Every single person I've met at Bedrock is friendly and helpful. I'm currently working with Chris Chomiak, back issue manager at Bedrock Westheimer store in putting a Miller/ Daredevil run together. So I guess I'm doing some of the things you have suggested

Well, I'm certainly glad that you've met up with some decent folks---there are a good number of them around! Why the Miller Daredevil run? I mean why in particular to you? I still think you should lock up your wallet as it seems like you are chasing some books.....and that's a good way to get burned....frequently.

Some of the BEST deals that people have received was actually nothing more than luck---IE right time and place. You can dig and research...then dig some more and come up with nothing. Then simply walk into a place and BOOM....treasure and it was just there.

Be patient.....understand the WHY you are collecting these runs and let these books come to you. Don't chase them! Lord knows that I am still personally sitting on some books that I just had to have at the time.....now? Nope....I should have waited.....

Just my two cents here of course and many might and probably shall disagree....

I love this post. Thanks for sharing.

My first submission just came back about a week ago, and while I did score some in the nines, I also ended up with a 4.0, a 5.0 and a 6.0. I ended up cracking those three slabs (which is quite satisfying), and I'm going to use them as reference points for grading the rest of my collection.

Looking at this book now, I can only say to myself, "What was I thinking!".

OL7xYyvl.jpg

BG3pvJnl.jpg

Sorry to hear about it, I remember when you joined, being a relative noob here myself.

At least you didn't buy a horse (for yourself, I mean ; )). And I don't think an X-Men 1 in high grade for mid-five figures would've been a better experience for you over the long haul.

I'm glad you post your threads and update with some frankness what's going on since you came back to collecting and as you ride the experience curve back up. This place on some occasions has the feel of a community.

What's on your "need" list these days (assuming you've not soured so much you're taking a break)?

I love this post. Thanks for sharing.

My first submission just came back about a week ago, and while I did score some in the nines, I also ended up with a 4.0, a 5.0 and a 6.0. I ended up cracking those three slabs (which is quite satisfying), and I'm going to use them as reference points for grading the rest of my collection.

Looking at this book now, I can only say to myself, "What was I thinking!".

OL7xYyvl.jpg

BG3pvJnl.jpg

There is not one single person on these Boards who hasn't gone through this....and actually, will most likely go through it again!

You're already ahead by having reference points as well as evaluating the WHY you are buying certain books....

sort of surprised no one mentioned using a pre-screening service in this thread yet.

I hope my earlier post wasn't taken the wrong way-- I was just curious as to why you decided to slab them. Many of the people who frequent these boards are comic professionals (dealers and long time collectors) so it is easy to get swept up in the desire to submit books based on their conversations and posts of amazing books.

sort of surprised no one mentioned using a pre-screening service in this thread yet.

I hope my earlier post wasn't taken the wrong way-- I was just curious as to why you decided to slab them. Many of the people who frequent these boards are comic professionals (dealers and long time collectors) so it is easy to get swept up in the desire to submit books based on their conversations and posts of amazing books.

I've found I like the process of finding raw books then having them slabbed. I'll buy slabbed books but 3 out of 4 I'm hunting for the book raw. I saw in your earlier post that having them slabbed means preparing them to be sold but for me its the opposite. In most cases when I get a book slabbed that means its here to stay. Sort of a badge the book earned in a strange and creepy way. Whenever I feel like reading them I do so digitally. With that said, I'm focusing on SA only so I did have several dozen MA books slabbed for the sole purpose of selling and forever erasing them from memory...

not to rub salt in the wound but you paid for the $150 sign up credit. 2c you should observe more and post less, you might have found the PGM forum and saved yourself about 90% of what you shelled out

Way to rub salt in the wound. :baiting:

One of the hardest things for me to do is evaluate high-grade books. It's easy to grade books from 2.0 to 8.0 or so.

I'm the complete opposite. I can grade high grade books, but can't grade anything below 9.0 worth a damn.

Plus, at least they didn't come back in purple holders!

That is so true. That was my hard lesson on my early submissions.

No, brother.... you don't deserve it...... no one deserves a hosing. There's sellers right here on this forum that could have hooked you up with those books at decent prices....... start building a network of friends and trusted associates...... some shops are OK, but there are plenty that just want to make the dollar. In the beginning, it might also be to your advantage to just get them already slabbed if that's what you want. It's the best way I know to learn how to grade. GOD BLESS...

....PM me your address and I'll send you a stack of cool books for free, to help keep you from becoming bitter..... I'm not joking.

Now THIS.....is a first class gesture! One of the reasons I love this place. For the OP: You don't have to follow all the advice you get on here, but it is certainly food for thought. A lot of the experiences passed on to you here are from people who already learned the hard way, so, in effect, they've done a lot of your homework for you.

As to that LCS....well, there are a lot of them who do that the uninformed sadly---so remember that the next time you're about to drop some nice $$$---look for the good people who have treated you well and do business with those trustworthy individuals---they earned it.

My advice to you is to lock up your wallet until you know what you are buying, why you are buying it and certainly know AND understand what price you are paying for said book(s). If you don't, you will simply have a mish-mash of books in some of the grades you want....and after you've brought yourself up to speed on things, will seriously find yourself in the hole with over-valued books and lots of bad taste in your mouth....

Sincerest wishes for good luck though....always nice to see another collector come back into the hobby/sport....

Kindest regards,

V.

There were two batches of books in the shipment to CGC. One from the Big City LCS and some raw books I bought at Bedrock City Comics in Texas.

I travel to Houston a lot and visit every Bedrock City shop (all 5) every time I'm there. The other batch of books came from Bedrock. They were all graded spot on by Bedrock with what came back from CGC and priced fairly against GPA, I think. Every single person I've met at Bedrock is friendly and helpful. I'm currently working with Chris Chomiak, back issue manager at Bedrock Westheimer store in putting a Miller/ Daredevil run together. So I guess I'm doing some of the things you have suggested

Well, I'm certainly glad that you've met up with some decent folks---there are a good number of them around! Why the Miller Daredevil run? I mean why in particular to you? I still think you should lock up your wallet as it seems like you are chasing some books.....and that's a good way to get burned....frequently.

Some of the BEST deals that people have received was actually nothing more than luck---IE right time and place. You can dig and research...then dig some more and come up with nothing. Then simply walk into a place and BOOM....treasure and it was just there.

Be patient.....understand the WHY you are collecting these runs and let these books come to you. Don't chase them! Lord knows that I am still personally sitting on some books that I just had to have at the time.....now? Nope....I should have waited.....

Just my two cents here of course and many might and probably shall disagree....

Miller's work on Daredevil are the comics I enjoy reading most. This run will not be slabbed, ever. Just want them to read again. Did buy a DD #168 9.6 from boardie 1Cool.

Sorry to hear about it, I remember when you joined, being a relative noob here myself.

At least you didn't buy a horse (for yourself, I mean ; )). And I don't think an X-Men 1 in high grade for mid-five figures would've been a better experience for you over the long haul.

I'm glad you post your threads and update with some frankness what's going on since you came back to collecting and as you ride the experience curve back up. This place on some occasions has the feel of a community.

What's on your "need" list these days (assuming you've not soured so much you're taking a break)?

When I do something, I just jump in. It's how I learn best. I can research, read books, talk to people, but learning for me happens best when I simply just do the thing. LIke photography, you can talk all day about what camera is best for street photography, but for me, just get a camera and take pictures.

My wife has not spoken of a horse in months, so. I am still researching bigger purchase and am in no rush for that.

Just putting together nice reading copies of Miller Daredevil and Moore Swamp Thing at this time.No slabbing for a good long while.

You're a star Jim. :applause:

And there's no short cut to what is essential in being a dedicated comic collector, and that is learning how to grade (the second key thing is learning the market). Best way to learn is to go to shows, find out who the reliable dealers are (Richard from Bedrock needless to say is an excellent example) and study their grading, talk to people about it and spend an inordinate amount of time on the boards discussing it, because it is crucial. It'll take a year at least to develop the confidence and consistency when it comes to this.

It took me a few years to learn to navigate the big rocks in the water and it took me several years to really fine tune it.

As many said the most passive way is to study online. The "Please Grade My" forum is very helpful.

Heritage Auctions archive scans are also helpful as the scans are large and many books are CGC graded already.

Keep in mind that scans are just 2 dimensional and ultimately though the fine tuning is being able to hold a book in your hands and quickly zero in on a grade.

There are many things that do now show up in scans such as interior stains, pieces missing from the interior, interior staples, cover tanning.

It's a learning curve to be sure, but dealing with the right dealers will speed that up very quickly.

When I do something, I just jump in. It's how I learn best. I can research, read books, talk to people, but learning for me happens best when I simply just do the thing. LIke photography, you can talk all day about what camera is best for street photography, but for me, just get a camera and take pictures.

My wife has not spoken of a horse in months, so. I am still researching bigger purchase and am in no rush for that.

Just putting together nice reading copies of Miller Daredevil and Moore Swamp Thing at this time.No slabbing for a good long while.

Sorry you got burned.

On the bright side...free books from Jimbo :whee:

Seriously, don't buy comic books, it's dangerous :preach:(tsk)

:insane:

Yikes - and I feel like I get kicked in the groin when I get a 9.2 in a submission. I am glad you talked about it and are getting some help rather then just walking away from the hobby.