• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sub-Mariner Comics #32 Church Copy

25 posts in this topic

Comiclink just listed this book for their next auction. Now years ago I thought I saw a listing for this book on Metro with no image but then it disappeared. I spoke to Fishler (I owned the Okajima copy plus the 8.5 Canadian copy at that time) and unless I'm mistaken he said that the book had been stolen? hm This is the first time in the last 12 years that I have ever seen this book hit the market.

Comiclink just listed this book for their next auction. Now years ago I thought I saw a listing for this book on Metro with no image but then it disappeared. I spoke to Fishler (I owned the Okajima copy plus the 8.5 Canadian copy at that time) and unless I'm mistaken he said that the book had been stolen? hm This is the first time in the last 12 years that I have ever seen this book hit the market.

Pretty sweet looking copy. Not sure what pulls it down to 8.5, looks nicer.

Not sure what pulls it down to 8.5, looks nicer.

Impossible to say without a back cover scan.

Interesting how some of the later Church books aren't typical of the pedigree (e.g., some of the EC's).

It's a pretty incredible book.

And a pretty horrible looking label. :P

They really need to redesign their label to reduce and realign their oversized and off-centered numerical grade. It would also help if I didn't have to use a magnify glass to figure out that this is actually the Edgar Church Mile High copy. :makepoint:

I absolutely hated it at first..... but like many things, I'm starting to get used to it now.... GOD BLES...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've gotten used to it but I still don't like it.

It wasn't thought through well enough. In smaller pics the only thing that stand out is the number. It dominates the entire image to a degree that it takes away from the book, almost like someone placed a dark numerical sticker on the image of the slab.

In a larger image like the one above it looks reasonable but still not perfect.

If they don't want to make it smaller, they should at the very least make the font look lighter. Right now it looks comical most times when I see an image on eBay. The first thing to hit you is the large numerical grade.

I realize lightening it will reduce the contrast that they save for 9.9 and 10.0 books but I think it's a small trade off for what I still feel is a visual distraction with the new slab.

I absolutely hated it at first..... but like many things, I'm starting to get used to it now.... GOD BLES...

It wasn't thought through well enough. In smaller pics the only thing that stand out is the number. It dominates the entire image to a degree that it takes away from the book, almost like someone placed a dark numerical sticker on the image of the slab.

If they don't want to make it smaller, they should at the very least make the font look lighter. Right now it looks comical most times when I see an image on eBay. The first thing to hit you is the large numerical grade.

I realize lightening it will reduce the contrast that they save for 9.9 and 10.0 books but I think it's a small trade off for what I still feel is a visual distraction with the new slab.

Love the book, but seriously, I'll pass because of that label design. :sumo:

'Nuff said.

I like the large grade. I agree that the pedigree designation should be larger.

Agreed on both counts, and I like the rich black of the printing too. I'm sure a large part of the point was to make the grade legible at a glance in thumbnail-sized auction listing pics, and I always felt that the "soft black" of the previous label had a tendency to scan poorly. I know most disagree, but I think it does what they wanted it to do.

But yeah, certainly room to make the other important descriptive elements more noticeable.

Moving the position of the pedigree designation was unfortunate. Makes it easier to miss when going through listings.

what self-respecting ped book wants to be bought by you, anyway?

Moving the position of the pedigree designation was unfortunate. Makes it easier to miss when going through listings.

what self-respecting ped book wants to be bought by you, anyway?

Only your undercopies. :sorry:

'Nuff said.

Wow. A CGC label design trumps a Mile High Timely. That sounds....personal. :whistle:

'Nuff said.

Wow. A CGC label design trumps a Mile High Timely. That sounds....personal. :whistle:

Unfortunately, LOUD trumps great. ;)

I thought Verzyl had all the MH Timleys ?...

I can imagine he will gun for this one.

Bingo! Give that man a see-gar. (thumbs u