• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jacksonville Florida Comic Con this weekend?

19 posts in this topic

My brother insists there is a comic convention this Saturday, Nov 12th in Jacksonville Florida, but I can't find it advertised anywhere. He tells me that George Perez is set to be there, so it surely has to be advertised somewhere.

Anyone have info on this? I've googled and Yahoo'd my butt off, but nothing!

There is a con on Saturday with George Perez and Peter David.

1st thing that comes up when Googled :gossip:http://hallofheroesjax.com/

This is bizarre! I live here and always check to see when and if local shows are coming here and this is the first I've even heard of this event :o

Someone in their PR circle needs their testes placed in a basket for this blunder

Daytona is really a great little show. Take a look at vendor list, 100 tables, and more than 1/2 are devoted to old school comics. I am certain there is more quality material at this 1 day show than most Wizard shows.

Daytona is really a great little show. Take a look at vendor list, 100 tables, and more than 1/2 are devoted to old school comics. I am certain there is more quality material at this 1 day show than most Wizard shows.

As far as old books are concerned, I'm curious what the better show will be Daytona or JAX

I'm gonna do both. I've missed the Daytona show for the last few years because of work but finally have the day off to buybuybuy. The Jax show will hopefully be decent but they're always hit or miss.

Also a heads up and plug for some buds: Peter David's daughter owns and runs the movie theater in 5-Points with her husband (Sunray Cinema). It's a great spot.

I'm gonna do both. I've missed the Daytona show for the last few years because of work but finally have the day off to buybuybuy. The Jax show will hopefully be decent but they're always hit or miss.

Also a heads up and plug for some buds: Peter David's daughter owns and runs the movie theater in 5-Points with her husband (Sunray Cinema). It's a great spot.

Thank u! Love SunRay Cinema! Best popcorn ever :popcorn:

I will have a table at the Daytona show this Sunday with my illustrated books, prints and artwork. Plus it's the debut convention of my newly released book 4 in my graphic novel series Korgi!

Stop by and say hello. It's always great meeting CGC boardies at shows and chatting about this great hobby of ours.

Corgis and Comics!

Christian Slade

http:www.christianslade.com

Postmortem:

Heroes was absurdly expensive for how big it was with what, 4 dealers? Having Peter David and George Perez there was cool, but I'm not a sig chaser and just want to buy comics. I didn't catch the one dealers name (all I can remember is that he had a Maximum Carnage Acclaim one shot on his wall) but he had a great selection and was priced reallllly well. Other than that, doh!

Daytona was one of the better comic book buying shows I've ever been to. I mainly did $1 bin digging and didn't buy too much but there was a tonnn of activity in everyone's booths. Hopefully you guys that set up did well.

Postmortem:

Heroes was absurdly expensive for how big it was with what, 4 dealers? Having Peter David and George Perez there was cool, but I'm not a sig chaser and just want to buy comics. I didn't catch the one dealers name (all I can remember is that he had a Maximum Carnage Acclaim one shot on his wall) but he had a great selection and was priced reallllly well. Other than that, doh!

Daytona was one of the better comic book buying shows I've ever been to. I mainly did $1 bin digging and didn't buy too much but there was a tonnn of activity in everyone's booths. Hopefully you guys that set up did well.

Did you get anything signed by Perez? If not it looks like you won't get the chance again.

I would have to agree on the Heroes show in Jacksonville. I spent about $100 on some nice reads, but the entry fee for such a small show was glaring. If you're reading this Heroes organizers...if it costs this much next year, I will definitely pass.

I opted for the Heroes show over the Daytona...sounds like I made the wrong call.

Postmortem:

That was me :hi:

Recap (I set up at both shows due to working in Jax the entire week before. I usually stick to Atlanta area shows, but was nice to get out on the road to shows I normally wouldn't be able to do)

Jax - Really was nice to meet a ton of actual collectors. Talked shop with several people and had a great time/show. Probably only 200+ people but show was nice. Agree they need to work on getting admission price down to around $5 for what was offered.

Daytona - Tom runs a tight ship. Load in/out and space was effortless. Probably around 2-3 times the people than Jax, but 6 times the comic dealers so definitely swings in buyers favor. I was even caught up in the pre-show deals and wasn't able to open on time. Only negative was the 7 hour drive back home.

Anna sold me all of your wall books at 10% of sticker since you weren't at Wes's Sunday. Check your boxes. Michael also helped with negotiations.

Postmortem:

That was me :hi:

Did anybody talk to George Perez? He seems to have a pattern of plugging some big new project every 3 or 4 years, 2 or 3 issues come out, and then 2 years of nothing. I understand he has problems with diabetes, and just wondered if he seemed OK.