• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

U.S. Presidents

71 posts in this topic

I may be the only one interested but that's O.K. I've developed quite a fondness for comics that feature U.S. Presidents on the cover. Even more interesting to me is how many contain Abraham Lincoln. Every now and then I still discover one I hadn't seen before. I'm sure the fine posters in these hallowed posting halls can dig up some I don't know about.

classics142.jpg

bigbetrayal.jpg

abe.jpg

This one is a giveaway from 1955. (newsprint cover)

ourpresidents1955giveaway.jpg

Life Stories of American Presidents # 1 Dell Giant 1952

48255912773.1.GIF

contains every president from Washington through then current Eisenhower. (Buscema artwork)

44232252892.1.12-378-410.GIF

John F. Kennedy Life Story Dell Publishing (reprint) June 1966

45357796056.8.GIF

Images of Presidents from the past.

14462577792.344.GIF

Ronald Reagan on cover, although not very flattering.

Mica.. funny you should post that Classic Illustrated #142 comic.

I have VERY vivid memories of reading that dozens of times as a kid..that and a Classic ill. Daniel Boone comic also.

Seeing that cover brought back many memories.

I never was into history as a kid., and have no idea why I read it soo many time.. probably because it was one of the few comics I actually owned as a young kid.. for some reason those 2 comics had lasting appeal with me.

Perhaps because as a young man Abe was quite the rapscallion, I guess that part always intrigued me.

And Daniel Boone was just plain cool.

Ze-

Great thread - I don't collect president covers myself, but have always thought it would be cool. All I have is Great Society with SuperLBJ.

I see you're in Springfield MO - so why no "Story of harry S. Truman" giveaway posted?

Aren't there a couple of GA Roosevelt covers - or am I just imaging that?

Mica.. funny you should post that Classic Illustrated #142 comic.

I have VERY vivid memories of reading that dozens of times as a kid..that and a Classic ill. Daniel Boone comic also.

Seeing that cover brought back many memories.

I never was into history as a kid., and have no idea why I read it soo many time.. probably because it was one of the few comics I actually owned as a young kid.. for some reason those 2 comics had lasting appeal with me.

Perhaps because as a young man Abe was quite the rapscallion, I guess that part always intrigued me.

And Daniel Boone was just plain cool.

Ze-

Thanks Ze- I also have that Daniel Boone comic and it is very good. I'm 35 so as a kid I grew up reading bronze age Marvel. My Dad would take me to the book store and while I was gathering up anything that looked like Fantastic Four, my Dad would be buying me a Dell or Classics Illustrated. I didn't mind him doing that, after all they were COMICS, but they were not on a par with my favorite superhero books. As I got older I'm grateful that he took the time to get a Classics Illustrated or a Donald Duck for me. Now I'm probably more proud of a ten dollar Dell that he got for me than I am about a run of 300 Fantastic Four. laugh.gif

Great thread - I don't collect president covers myself, but have always thought it would be cool. All I have is Great Society with SuperLBJ.

I see you're in Springfield MO - so why no "Story of harry S. Truman" giveaway posted?

Aren't there a couple of GA Roosevelt covers - or am I just imaging that?

Thanks.. I haven't seen a Truman cover. I know of a Roosevelt cover, if memory serves me it was "True Comics" # 11. It was probably a Rough Riders story, but that would still be worthy of posting as far as I'm concerned. I don't remember if Teddy was actually on the cover but I believe his exploits were mentioned on the cover. cool.gif

I'm surprised no one posted the classic Classic Comic The Rough Rider.Or the Action cover with Bizarro JFk.

See the Copper Age forum for some great Reagan covers.

Really bad joke here- Whats the biggest Rock Group to have a member murdered?

Hint- The answer is in this thread.

I'm surprised no one posted the classic Classic Comic The Rough Rider.Or the Action cover with Bizarro JFk.

See the Copper Age forum for some great Reagan covers.

Really bad joke here- Whats the biggest Rock Group to have a member murdered?

Hint- The answer is in this thread.

Rock group ??? Hmmmm you mean Mt. Rushmore ? confused-smiley-013.gif

I may be the only one interested but that's O.K. I've developed quite a fondness for comics that feature U.S. Presidents on the cover.

I don't own any but I recollect U.S. Presidents in Dell Giant Life Stories of American Presidents as well as some Treasure Chest comics but old age has hit me hard so I don't remember the particular issues. frown.gif

For Indexing reasons this subject could be divided into three sections.

(1) Presidents on Covers--(it's assumed that the President or lookalike will be inside the book)

Classics ILLUSTRATED 142 Abraham Lincoln

BIG BETRAYAL nn

Life Stories of American Presidents # 1 Dell Giant 1952

Our Presidents giveaway 1955 Washington through Eisenhower

Dell Giant # 1 Abraham Lincoln Life Story

Unknown Worlds 50 (Lincoln)

Weird Western Tales 53 (Lincoln)

The World Around Us # 21 (Mt Rushmore cover)

John F. Kennedy Life Story Dell Publishing

Kamandi 8 (Statues of Nixon, Kennedy, LBJ on cover)

Captain America 344 (Reagan cover)

Bill and Teds Excellent Comic Book # 1 (Lincon cover)

Rip Hunter Time Master # 23 (Washington cover)

House of Mystery # 51 (Lincoln character on cover)

Reagan's Raiders # 1, # 2, and # 3

Dwight D. Eisenhower - Dell 1969

The Story of Truman (propoganda comic published by the National Committee in 1948)

Uncle Scrooge 294 (Teddy Roosevelt)

(2) Presidents appearing inside book. (but not on cover)

Rom #53 Page 19 (Reagan)

P.T. 109 Dell 1964 (JFK)

Dark Knight Returns (Reagan proto-type)

Iron Man 277 (George H.W. Bush)

Fantastic Four 104 (Nixon)

Journey into Mystery with Thor # 96 (Kennedy brief cameo with Caroline)

(3) Fictional Presidents that never actually happened (or alternate reality) )

The Prez (DC comics)

Lex Luthor ..... you get the idea. smile.gif