• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How come nobody uses videos to sell comics here?

22 posts in this topic

I always wondered why video isn't used more in sales threads on the boards. I have thought about it in instances of my scanner doing a total hack job on scans. Also, for showing interior pages with less risk of damage from scanning or pictures not doing justice to the books. Has anyone used video on here before? Is it allowed. Do I want to know what some of you look like?

I always wondered why video isn't used more in sales threads on the boards. I have thought about it in instances of my scanner doing a total hack job on scans. Also, for showing interior pages with less risk of damage from scanning or pictures not doing justice to the books. Has anyone used video on here before? Is it allowed. Do I want to know what some of you look like?

I've always wondered why anyone would use a video to sell a comic.

Scans or good photos do a much better job of representing the book.

Videos are shaky, blurry, and give you no sense of depth. And it's always fun to hear the camera holder breathe lol

I don't even bother looking at a book listed with a video unless I'm asking for pics or scans after.

I've always wondered why anyone would use a video to sell a comic.

Scans or good photos do a much better job of representing the book.

Videos are shaky, blurry, and give you no sense of depth. And it's always fun to hear the camera holder breathe lol

I don't even bother looking at a book listed with a video unless I'm asking for pics or scans after.

I think a decent webcam has gone along way and would do more than a sufficient job on clarity and breathing noise? wouldn't be an issue.

Video is useful for conveying sound and motion... two things that don't really factor into a comic. So why would video be useful?

I mean, oil paints are useful for conveying emotion... which is great. But no one ever tries to paint a picture of a comic they're selling.

In all seriousness, I do understand the desire to avoid scanning interior pages of comics as that can be risky. However, If you can turn open the pages of a comic to shoot video of it, you can also shoot a nice quality photo.

So I'm just not sure video is the really ever the answer.

I'm afraid that if Roy were selling books on video he would try to throw in his demo as part of the sale. I think I just saw "Rockin Roy sings the Christmas Blues"

Now there is a strong idea.... hm

I would so erase the live audio and replace it with a jam.

Thanks! I do have the voice of an angel... :angel:

You're the songbird of our generation.

But that halo is so heavy...

tripod

auto-focus

background music to obscure heavy breathing

A little boom-chika-bow-wow music, yes?

Well, first off, the spirit of the idea is great - to simulate the experience of having the book in hand as you would at a LCS or comic con. But...

I think that if there was even an inkling of a benefit to using video to showcase comics here on the board, then it would have already been done - there are lot of folks here who are passionate about the hobby and want to improve the comic collecting experience. Aside from that argument, I say using video is less effective than still images because:

• for a seller, it's complexity without much gained value. Video setup would require placing camera/iPhone in fixed position and be close enough to comic to get good sense of its quality.
    And camera needs to be a few inches away in order to allow for turning pages which might mean diminished clarity.

• for a buyer, it means spending more time reviewing books for sale, especially if you have to endure through the seller's commentary. And plus, there isn't a real way to index the video (or create table of contents) so that one can skip to only the comic you're interested in.

• there's even less use for slabbed books

they made a video of the comic when they sold that 9.0 Action 1 for 3.2 million

Sure, that was to promote it.

But I'd never buy an expensive book without a high res scan or pic so I could analyze it.

Analyzing a video is just....not the same.

they made a video of the comic when they sold that 9.0 Action 1 for 3.2 million

Sure, that was to promote it.

But I'd never buy an expensive book without a high res scan or pic so I could analyze it.

Analyzing a video is just....not the same.

I want to see scans as well (which they also provided). I found that particular video interesting though

In no way am I saying adding a video of the comic is necessary or even that helpful to a seller or a buyer. If I need to show the interior of a book-- I open it to that page and take a photo. I would avoid ever scanning an open book to avoid damaging it.