• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What other celebrities collect (or collected) comic books?

114 posts in this topic

Paul Gambaccini is a celeb in England, right? He's a big collector.

I did wonder if the Paul Gambaccini that I dealt with on Ebay was the celebrity one. I bought some real nice nice FF's and X Men from him. He was good to deal with and very polite & friendly but his shipping charges had gone up a hell of a lot the last time I dealt with him.

I remember KIRK HAMMETT from METALLICA used to show up at the old creation comics, buying goldenage BATMANS - he along with GLENN DANZIG from THE MISFITS ( who actually used to be one of the venders at the creation show - big japan monster fan ) were good friends of PHIL LEVINES - also remember BILLY IDOL showing up at one of CREATIONS STAR TREK SHOWS - he being a big trekie ( if you ever saw him in concert- he would do the spock hand salute thing on stage ) - just found out ELVIS was a huge CATAIN MARVEL JR fan - check out www.mastroauctions.com - lot # 226 -

I remember KIRK HAMMETT from METALLICA used to show up at the old creation comics, buying goldenage BATMANS - he along with GLENN DANZIG from THE MISFITS ( who actually used to be one of the venders at the creation show - big japan monster fan ) were good friends of PHIL LEVINES - also remember BILLY IDOL showing up at one of CREATIONS STAR TREK SHOWS - he being a big trekie ( if you ever saw him in concert- he would do the spock hand salute thing on stage ) - just found out ELVIS was a huge CATAIN MARVEL JR fan - check out www.mastroauctions.com - lot # 226 -

Danzig actually did some of his own comics. Might even still be doing them, for all I know, but he definitely had his own books out.

Danzig actually did some of his own comics. Might even still be doing them, for all I know, but he definitely had his own books out.

True, he actually came in the store as did Trent Resnor a couple of times back in the day.

Did we say Thomas Jane already?

Speaking of Mr. Jane, here is a shot of he and I at last year's Chicago Con behind Mr. Bedrock's booth.

confused.gif

What? confused-smiley-013.gif

Doesn't look like Thomas Jane. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well it is. Check the Chicago Con site from last year. I didn't recognize him myself at first. Billy Parker grabbed me and said "There's the Punisher" and nodded in Jane's direction. I said "Where?" Parker said "Right there! With the mohawk!", I then looked at him closely and recognized him by the eyes. He is collecting pre-code horror and was a cool guy.

Wow, I can remember listening to METALLICA when I was a kid. Although I really liked DEF LEPPARD and RATT too. I really didn't care for BRUCE DICKINSON of IRON MAIDEN too much.. I thought the music was too heavy. I also used to watch BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and KNIGHT RIDER on TV. Boy I sure do miss the young DIRK BENEDICT and GEORGE PEPPARD.

thumbsup2.gif

Monster Magnet are huge fans and regularly name-check...

'And I was thinkin' how the world should have cried

On the day Jack Kirby died'

Melt

'So what would Modok do if his memory got too full?

He'd find a powersource and then he'd pick what plugs to pull'

Baby Gotterdamerung

Monster Magnet kicks *spoon*. I remember they had a song where they referenced Ego the Living Planet as well.

Ruben Blades has collected for many years. He's often at San Diego.

Jerry Buss also collects, but usually through an employee of his. The employee has contacted me twice over the years about books I had for sale. Usually, months after someone else had already bought them.

I once sold a book to Richard Jewell, accused, then cleared of involvement in the olympic park bombing.

I did wonder if the Paul Gambaccini that I dealt with on Ebay was the celebrity one. I bought some real nice nice FF's and X Men from him. He was good to deal with and very polite & friendly but his shipping charges had gone up a hell of a lot the last time I dealt with him.

I bought some of his #1 file copy EC's from him and a Beautiful (but restored) WDC & S #8 from him...never knew he was a celebrity, BUT some of the stuff he has sold over the last 3 years, rivals metropolis 893whatthe.gif

Yup, one and the same. Super guy to deal with. I just wish I had been able to buy more off him.

Andy Breckman, co-creator of Monk, was looking for comics at the NY Con in Februrary.