• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Whitman Variant List

128 posts in this topic

Well, as an example, I have Avengers 161 (and have seen a few others) and saw Marvel Team-Up 62 (and saw quite a few others on eBay).

I'm not trying to crowd on anyone's turf, just wondering how much challenge I might be in for since I don't want something insanely easy or Christo_pull_hair.gif either.

just wondering how much challenge I might be in for since I don't want something insanely easy or either.

gossip.gif It is a challenge, I still like several from 1977 and I have been at it for a while now. Some are very tough to find but on the good side they are reasonably cheep.

Hear is a good one to start with Marvel's Greatest # 74 grin.gif

Since I don't actively collect these Whitman Variants, the next time I'm going through my collection, I'll pull out the ones I have (other than ASM, X-Men and Byrne books - I collect everything of those) and see what I can do to host a Forum Whitman Sale.

Anyone interested?

I am slowly compiling a full Whitman Burst list as those are the only ones I collect. Ill get a list up at STL when I get it finished I am cross referencing with Gifflefunk. I have about 40 or so now I think or so I need to organize them. They are all usually cheap as they are still much under the radar and its fun like finding 35 centers. Some books only have one of them so its a neat to even see one. I guess I am a snob though as a I only chase the burst white box.

bumpit.gif Yikes... quite a debate 893blahblah.gif!

I've understood the Marvel Whitmans, in particular, are still 1st prints and were to be sold in drugstores/ retailers. These versions available only in the 3pks having the "diamond" price box on each issue and a blank UPC (allowing the outer bag to have a different UPC for the repack). It appears that I'm receiving quite an education on this topic!

I was surprised though to learn that the "diamond" price can also be found w/ a regular UPC code in 3pks. too (ie: the Conans in this thread)!

... Cosmic-Spider-Man, you have some great looking 3pks! Those prizes are a hoot - foreign $$ SWEET !

... regardless of the debating and verbal fistacuffs - WOW, WHAT A GREAT THREAD !

Hey, HAPPY HALLOWEEN to all... devil.gif !

Hey Cosmic,

WOW, those grabs look cherry... especially that Spec SM #12 thumbsup2.gif!

Dig-'em, man dig-'em! I nabbed 2 Battlestar Galactica Whitman-3pks. recently and am dying to tear one open to perhaps consider having 'em graded juggle.gif.

"Whitman Variant" debate or no, I'll grab 'em when I can... keep 'em coming takeit.gif!

Good day all,

I am new to all this, so please forgive me if this is an inappropriate way to communicate.

I used this site as a source of info.

I have listed a Whitman Marvel 3 pack variant on e-bay. Info is below.

Shogun Warriors Marvel Whitman Variant 3 pack Western

Diamond issue blank bar code issue 1 2 3 comic 1979 .99

Item number: 220068368273

Just In case your interested.

Auction ends Jan 11 2007 at 9:45 pm.

Scott

Here's the article in question, which definitively proves that the earliest Marvel Diamond copies are in fact, from Whitman prepacks and not "limited release" Direct copies:

64376.jpg

I remember my grandfather picking these up for me at a Jordan Marsh store when I was kid. I remember that few kids collected comics even back then but if they did it was these and Spider-man.

I can add to this long-long-ago discussion (having just rediscovered it) that Jim Shooter confirmed for me in 2010 that it was Whitman's very large purchase of copies -- and the need to prevent them from coming back as returns -- that resulted in this variant's creation:

http://blog.comichron.com/2010/04/jim-shooter-on-marvel-whitmans-direct.html

The fact that Whitman was only buying reprints of Star Wars was why there weren't variants for early 1978 cover-dated issues.

Interesting discussion!

When I started collecting comics in original edition, I preferred the Whitmans (I have learned what they were just recently). I thought they were the direct market ones, as opposed to newsstand, but not the details. Anyway, I preferred them on a graphical standpoint, but could not choose much from Italy… lol

Currently I have just this one as a duplicate…

VL2nUJ9h.jpg

Seems I recall when Phil Sueling (sp?) had started Seagate Distribution, back in the early '70s, there was mention of something making his books unique....... I'd have to go wading into the catacombs to substantiate this. But I recall this being pointed out in his mailer on one occasion. (This all related to distributors getting caught, with returns, which never saw the light of day on a newsstand, and who actually made a penny a book, in the shuffle. Who then sold them again, with the logos torn off. Guess everyone knows this.) (Since I don't know how to Spell Sueling (there an h in there?), I'll give you a pass on hear versues here. There there.