• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

most valuable piece of comicbbok artwork?

100 posts in this topic

I think I mentioned this in a previous thread: cover to Weird Science Fantasy 29 by Frazetta.

Good thought. Another one that slipped my mind previously as being worthy of the list of contenders would be the unused Marvel #1 (or I guess some now feel it was for #2?) cover.

i was the underbidder on the piece to Spiderman of marvel at sothebys years ago....great piece.

I think I mentioned this in a previous thread: cover to Weird Science Fantasy 29 by Frazetta.

WSF #29 is my favorite cover.

Here's a recreation I have. The pic is a little blurry, but the piece is beautiful (thanks again Joseph hail.gif ).

wsf_29_2 recreation.jpg

Heritage auctioned this one three years ago for $100,625.00.

FamousFunnies213cover.jpg

WSF #29 is my favorite cover.

Here's a recreation I have. The pic is a little blurry, but the piece is beautiful (thanks again Joseph hail.gif ).

wsf_29_2 recreation.jpg

Heritage auctioned this one three years ago for $100,625.00.

FamousFunnies213cover.jpg

gorgeous! WSF 29 is the only EC I own and it a Gaines copy.....

I have a Frazetta hand-colored/signed print of WSF 29. At the bottom it has a sketch of a pretty nude laying on her stomach with her legs in the air. I believe the term is "remarqued" when an artist does this...

The most valuable piece of orginal Disney comic book art would have to be page 4 from Carl Barks' 10-pager in WDC&S 52. The last I heard, it was split into two halfpages and at least one of them was located in Finland. If anyone knows either owner, I'd like to get in touch with them.

Transition to the completely unrelated question I wanted to ask:

> Ivory-billed woodpecker not extinct, as feared

> [...]

> The last confirmed U.S. sighting of the the bird was in a Louisiana hardwood

> forest in the 1940s. The bird is second in size to the extinct imperial

> woodpecker of Mexico, once the largest woodpecker on Earth.

I read this on CNN today and remember an early WDC&S from the 1940s where the ducks were looking for an extinct woodpecker. Don't have the story but would be curious to know whether Barks might have been inspired by this bird?

Hkp,

that would be WDCS 57 from June 1945 named Pecking Order in the CBL where the nephews can make a thousand dollars for taking a picture of the iron-billed wood pecker , the rarest bird in the world. But maybe that's what you already knew. On NPR today, they replayed an interview with a famous bird artist who was supposed to have last seen (until recently) a live ivory-billed wood-pecker in 1944. Considering the WDCS came out in 1945, the timing is perfect + the name iron versus ivory adds credency to your astute observation thumbsup2.gif Now to go look and see if there was a National Geographic story about the bird circa late 1944 / early 1945. How many months ahead was Barks working?

Good thought. Another one that slipped my mind previously as being worthy of the list of contenders would be the unused Marvel #1 (or I guess some now feel it was for #2?) cover.

The problem with this piece for me is that it is unpublished. Who knows if it was really created at the time described or 30 yars later.