• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHO HAS THE GRETAEST COMICBOOK COLLECTION? GOLDEN AGE

148 posts in this topic

Just another question here, although it may be off topic a bit:

Apparently all of these big time GA collectors are suppose to have complete HG runs of the SA titles. I assume they are talking about the Marvels here. Some of these collectors with complete SA runs include Jon Berk, Steve Geppi, John Veryzl, etc. All we ever hear about are their GA jewels.

Question: Do you think any of their SA collections would rival the major SA pedigrees out there?

WHO HAS THE GRETAEST COMICBOOK COLLECTION? GOLDEN AGE?

Me. They're the only copies I can actually touch every day so for me, they're the best. cloud9.gif

eleven Action 1's? Seriously? Kind of sick to think that all eleven would have been chopped up in the back 'operating room' by the Nurse.

This is second hand, but I had always heard that Danny did not do work on GA books because he was a GA collector and he does not "[#@$%!!!] where he eats" so to speak. I think Timely (West) said this a while ago in these forums, or maybe it was someone else.

This is not to say that some or all of those 11 copies of Action #1 weren't restored -- I am sure that some were. I can't imagine that it would be too easy to find 11 unrestored copies of Action #1 anywhere.

eleven Action 1's? Seriously? Kind of sick to think that all eleven would have been chopped up in the back 'operating room' by the Nurse.

This is second hand, but I had always heard that Danny did not do work on GA books because he was a GA collector and he does not "[#@$%!!!] where he eats" so to speak. I think Timely (West) said this a while ago in these forums, or maybe it was someone else.

This is not to say that some or all of those 11 copies of Action #1 weren't restored -- I am sure that some were. I can't imagine that it would be too easy to find 11 unrestored copies of Action #1 anywhere.

That's interesting, as I had several GA Batman that I purchased from him in the late eighties, and I could afford high grade in those days.Another dealer told me he felt they were restored, but he had no real proof. It was when I was selling them, so he could have been telling me that to get my price down.

Let's not forget at the very least honorable mentions for Jon Berk and Ian!

Might not be the "greatest", but certainly ranks up there for completeness and awe!

Thankyou. I was feeling left out.

I might not have the highest grades, but I have a copy of every single solitary last DC except for New Adventure 26, and although they're both restored, my Action 1 and Detective 27 are both apparent VFs.

Let's not forget at the very least honorable mentions for Jon Berk and Ian!

Might not be the "greatest", but certainly ranks up there for completeness and awe!

Thankyou. I was feeling left out.

I might not have the highest grades, but I have a copy of every single solitary last DC except for New Adventure 26, and although they're both restored, my Action 1 and Detective 27 are both apparent VFs.

Hey Ian,

I still haven't heard back from that guy we discussed, by the way. frustrated.gif

That's interesting, as I had several GA Batman that I purchased from him in the late eighties, and I could afford high grade in those days.Another dealer told me he felt they were restored, but he had no real proof. It was when I was selling them, so he could have been telling me that to get my price down.

How can someone say they "feel" a book is restored, yet not be able to point to some evidence of work having been done to it? Someone looking at the book can either point to some objective piece of evidence that it is restored, or he has no idea. The mere fact that a book looks nice doesn't mean that it is necessarily restored. Hell, the fact that a book is beat to [#@$%!!!] doesn't mean that it's UNrestored.

I am not saying that the books were or weren't restored, but what is the utility in his saying that, other than to drive the price down? screwy.gif

I've had a few books that I thought were restored, but couldn't really put a finger on what was done. Some have had suspicious areas that could have been very faint odd creases or could have been really good tear seals. Some just didn't feel right, which in retrospect may have indicated cleaning by a less than stellar restorer. So I can relate to the "feels restored" comment--which of course doesn't mean the dealer wasn't just trying to drive the price down mad.gif

As to whether or not Danny D. was working on GA books, based on my conversation with him at Fantazia in the mid-'80s, I would say yes he probably was. He showed me a few books with flaws that he said could be "fixed." I left without buying anything.

How can someone say they "feel" a book is restored, yet not be able to point to some evidence of work having been done to it? Someone looking at the book can either point to some objective piece of evidence that it is restored, or he has no idea. The mere fact that a book looks nice doesn't mean that it is necessarily restored. Hell, the fact that a book is beat to [#@$%!!!] doesn't mean that it's UNrestored.

I am not saying that the books were or weren't restored, but what is the utility in his saying that, other than to drive the price down? screwy.gif

I agree now, but at the time I was pretty new to High Grade Golden Age. I told the dealer I bought them from Fantazia, so he may have known about Danny's shoddy reputation even then. Boy, do I wish I had those books now...the two that stand out in my mind are ultra high grade copies of BATMAN #37 and DETECTIVE #120. Restored or not, they were incredible. cloud9.gif

I know this question is only somewhat related to this thread, but can anyone tell me who owns the "Northern Lights" collection? I notice that the collection includes several of the key Mile High More Funs that were sold in the Heritage Cage auction in 2002. I was under the assumption that Jay Parrino bought those. Is he the owner of the Northern Lights collection or is someone else?

I know this question is only somewhat related to this thread, but can anyone tell me who owns the "Northern Lights" collection? I notice that the collection includes several of the key Mile High More Funs that were sold in the Heritage Cage auction in 2002. I was under the assumption that Jay Parrino bought those. Is he the owner of the Northern Lights collection or is someone else?

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure the "north lights" collection belong to "grimstarman," a regular ebay seller and occasional poster here on the boards. He's a very big golden age DC collector indeed. I believe awhile back he posted in the marketplace, saying that he and his wife were about to have a child and he was looking to cash out a lot of his books.

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure the "north lights" collection belong to "grimstarman," a regular ebay seller and occasional poster here on the boards. He's a very big golden age DC collector indeed. I believe awhile back he posted in the marketplace, saying that he and his wife were about to have a child and he was looking to cash out a lot of his books.

I don't think that is true. I've dealt with him many times over the last 18 months. I don't recall ever seeing any Northern Lights books in his inventory, and he never mentioned it to me. Of course, I could be wrong. I think Marnin Rosenberg had something to do with the Collection.

Frankly, why do these "collections" even exist? What is CGC's rationale for it? I certainly understand pedigree designations for original owner collections, but simply b/c someone pulled together a great collection over what could be weeks or months, though likely years, from a variety of sources, so what? screwy.gif Sure, its a great collection and places like Heritage can tout that a particular auction contains books collected by so and so. They do this all the time with non-comics. But why place a "Collection" designation on the label except to satisfy the interests of certain dealers who then try to place an additional premium beyond grade on a book that doesn't otherwise deserve it?

Does anyone else feel this way? popcorn.gif

If I had a book from the "Nicholas Cage Collection", I'd ask CGC to TAKE OFF the designation...

I just removed it from the slab. insane.gif