• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a 'file copy' & where do they come from?

20 posts in this topic

I always figured they were pulled off the line as they were being printed, but I've seen a lot of these for sale and they don't appear to be in the condition I would expect them to be in if that were the case.

Other than taking someone's word for it, is there someway to know if it really is a file copy? (If I say to Joe Consumer "This comic is a file copy", is there someway he can verify that it is?)

Is a VF/NM file copy more desirable than a VF/NM non-file copy?

Just because a copy was pulled from the line and placed in a file cabinet does not mean they were well protected. I have copies of important paperwork that I have filed to preserve a hard copy despite the digital copy I have on my computer.

It does not mean that the corners are razor sharp.

Where I work, my company keeps files on the equipment we produce. In the files are original manuals where someone has written "File Copy" on them. Every time I pull an old file and see that I immediately think of the famous comic book file copies. It's a pleasant distraction.

I have several of the Random House File copies of the Gold Key Magnus Robot Fighter run.

For that run, there were a bunch of these (probably 6-20 copies of each), but they tend to be clustered in the 1967-1969 range (i.e., issues 13-27 -- with both earlier and later issues excluded). They also tend to be clean 8.5-9.2 copies, but rarely grade out in the 9.4-9.8 range.

Heritage sold a box lot of 120 File Copy issues, ranging from # 10-33, back in 2005.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/magnus-robot-fighter-file-copies-box-lot-gold-key-1965-72-condition-average-vf-this-lot-consists-of-a-short-box-full-of-120-/a/816-6127.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

While I'd pay (slightly) more for a Gold Key File Copy than a non-File Copy issue in the same grade (because of the history involved), very few of these issues have made it into my permanent collection, which is centered on 9.4-9.8 copies of Magnus.

Can only speak for this particular title, but the best examples of the run (9.6-9.8) invariably come from one of the recent Silver Age pedigrees, like Twin Cities, Savannah or even the Don/Maggie Thompson collection.

They are basically sample copies the printer keeps on hand that are used as "go by's" They'll keep a copy with the paperwork for the job they are printing and/or keep some on hand to show customers their sample work if a customer is interested having their work printed at the plant.

How does it work with CGC.

I bought CGC books and they are labelled with File Copy.

Then, when I buy a file copy, and send to CGC, it will not be on the label.

Good question... I have purchased two file copy books over the boards. I wonder how they would receive that designation.

Some File copies are easy to distinguish, some are not...... CGC will probably take the word of certain reputable dealers in that regard..... but for someone like me, just my claim of "File Copy" would not be enough to get it on the label. Below is an example of a Dell File Copy..... an easy attribution. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

pG3gMhg.jpg

...there are a few different types of "File" copies....... from the printer, from the publisher, and from creative personnel....

From CGC's Glossary...

File Copy. A comic book that was originally from the publisher's file. Not all file copies are in perfect condition. Also, if a comic book has an arrival date, it cannot be a file copy.

Based upon this definition, I wonder if the infamous Eastern Color File Copies from Fantasia or Danny Boy would qualify? :devil::tonofbricks:

From CGC's Glossary...

File Copy. A comic book that was originally from the publisher's file. Not all file copies are in perfect condition. Also, if a comic book has an arrival date, it cannot be a file copy.

Based upon this definition, I wonder if the infamous Eastern Color File Copies from Fantasia or Danny Boy would qualify? :devil::tonofbricks:

Eastern Color only printed the insides, covers were printed elsewhere but they did keep full copies on hand in a file cabinet in the supervisor's office

From CGC's Glossary...

Eastern Color only printed the insides, covers were printed elsewhere but they did keep full copies on hand in a file cabinet in the supervisor's office

Wasn't there some controversy with some books that were stamped Eastern Color? Something about them being married to covers.

Link

In one series of advertisements in the early 1990s, Dupcak's store announced the discovery of 'Eastern Color Uncirculated Books,' which he said originated from Eastern's Waterbury, Conn., printing facilities and warehouse. The ad represented that 'Eastern did the printing for over 50 comic companies (Atlas, Marvel, DC, Archie, Harvey, Fiction House, etc.) at these facilities between 1951 and approximately 1970.' Eastern stamped in-house copies with date stamps identifying these comics as 'Eastern Specimens,' the ad stated.

'The books are, in 99% of the cases the absolute finest available specimen.' Most are unimprovable, and like Mile Highs, are infectious to the condition conscious 'Mint Freak.' ' In his final ad in CBG, Dupcak offered such copies of Fantastic Four #1 for $10,000 and $8,000 each. But some questioned the authenticity of the pedigree and continue to do so. Steve Borock, who keeps track of pedigrees for Comics Guaranty Corp., today says that no such Eastern Color file copies ever existed. (See the sidebar.)

When talk of Phantasia comes up I always like to note, for those unaware of this deception, to be skeptical of any books stamped "File Copy" on the cover or inside cover/first page.

While there are real file copies stamped this way, many more Phantasia books are stamped this way as well.

I got the TTA 57 and quickly sent it back. The black spine bar had been completely re-lined with black - huge color touch. I didn't really look much farther at what other monkey-business might be going on.

From a conversation piece standpoint, I actually wouldn't mind having one Fantasia "File Copy"......you know, just for S&G's....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Yeah :lol: but that was $75 in early 1990's $.

Can only speak for this particular title, but the best examples of the run (9.6-9.8) invariably come from one of the recent Silver Age pedigrees, like Twin Cities, Savannah or even the Don/Maggie Thompson collection.

Although it is only natural to expect higher grade examples to come from the more recent file copies, some of the older file copies would also have higher grade books in there. :gossip:

For example, I was able to pick up a bunch of Poughkeepsie File Copies for the Crackajack Funnies run from the late 1930's and early 40's from a retired dealer who had been asked by a long-term customer to help him sell them. The majority of these books were pristine with pure white pages to boot. The feel of them in your hands gave you the impression they had just come off the printing press. :cloud9:

Ended up sending one of them off to CGC for grading during their first year of operations and the book came back as a CGC 9.6 with White pages. I would expect the rest of them to also grade in the 9.4 to 9.6 condition range. :wishluck: