• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potential Wizard bankruptcy???

271 posts in this topic

Richie Muchin is one of the dealers who does the small hotel suite convention, which I really, really enjoy. I hate having to elbow with other buyers and I enjoy leisurely going through the material. I've gone to several dealers houses when they get new material in. As someone who routinely spends five figures on deals and books, I am more likely to spend that with a dealer who's providing an environment that's more private than on the show floor, or as shadroch mentioned, I'll buy online.

Richie's year-old format of private shows to a hotel-conference-room-near-you is, I hope, the future of comic book cons for the more serious collector. It's a terrific format -- no tickets, no parking hassles, no lines, and very comfortable. The other people in the room are pretty much there with you for the same reason, and good for networking. The next step is to take that same single-dealer format but grow it to a four- to six-dealer format, and so forth. Cut out the promoters -- the dealers indirectly cross-market each other and split up the conference room usage charge. The hotel is happy because their restaurant and lobby bar are patronized. If like-minded, experienced dealers collaborate, the con -- more aptly, the meet -- becomes the homogenous shows we once savored decades ago.

Richie Muchin is one of the dealers who does the small hotel suite convention, which I really, really enjoy. I hate having to elbow with other buyers and I enjoy leisurely going through the material. I've gone to several dealers houses when they get new material in. As someone who routinely spends five figures on deals and books, I am more likely to spend that with a dealer who's providing an environment that's more private than on the show floor, or as shadroch mentioned, I'll buy online.

Richie's year-old format of private shows to a hotel-conference-room-near-you is, I hope, the future of comic book cons for the more serious collector. It's a terrific format -- no tickets, no parking hassles, no lines, and very comfortable. The other people in the room are pretty much there with you for the same reason, and good for networking. The next step is to take that same single-dealer format but grow it to a four- to six-dealer format, and so forth. Cut out the promoters -- the dealers indirectly cross-market each other and split up the conference room usage charge. The hotel is happy because their restaurant and lobby bar are patronized. If like-minded, experienced dealers collaborate, the con -- more aptly, the meet -- becomes the homogenous shows we once savored decades ago.

That kind of thing seems almost Elite...

:idea:

Joe Gallo does this with Comic Art Con... He arranges a number of dealers in a conference room in Jersey. I already received notification of the two 2017 shows.

BTW

The RVC shows went well into the late 90's. I bought a few big books at those shows. I remember leaving work one day in 1997 or 1998 to go to that show and that's where I bought my first AF15, ASM 14 and a number of other Silver Spider-mans from a young Vincent Zurzolo and other dealers.

Joe Gallo does this with Comic Art Con... He arranges a number of dealers in a conference room in Jersey. I already received notification of the two 2017 shows.

Id love to see a return to this. We don't need convention areas for comic shows. Local hotel cater rooms work just fine. Just enough area to get about 10-20 dealers in a room and you have it.

Promotions is free and cheap now with Craigslist and Facebook.

I don't mind all the other stuff at conventions, but when I pay for them and there isn't enough of what I want is when it sucks.

The future is starting, then.

Let me know when and where that 20 dealer Comic book boutique con will be held. Not sure who is going to pull it together.

Friend of mine had an idea of putting something like that together as a cruise. After reading the accounts of load-up and load-out, I told her I didn't think a comic con would work on water. Am I wrong?

I like the name Comic Heaven

Tomorrow's Treasures is kind of memorable, although I think it's widely used by antique stores (junk shops)

If you're going to run a comic biz out of NYC, Metropolis is a good name

Best comic book store name I have ever heard was "Dr Weasels Comicbook Vault"

It was located in NM back in the late 80s

Let me know when and where that 20 dealer Comic book boutique con will be held. Not sure who is going to pull it together.

I'm considering the next Vegas show,if they still have it at South Point. I have an in at the hotel and could get a couple or three suites fairly cheap. They'd double as hotel rooms.

Was not a dealer in the 80's. Was a dealer from 1973-1978, got back into comics in 1991. Valiant was the hot flavor of the month at the time. Would go to Fred Greenburg (Great Eastern) shows. Another iconic promoter of how to do shows the wrong way.

1973 ? Jeez man, just how old are you ?

I'm sure Bob was referring back to when he was in middle school, and would get a hold of every early SA Marvel he could by trading with his classmates in exchange for back issues of Howard the Duck.

Alcohol, blow, and sex industry workers also add to the buying experience.

Actually it would be Roy Delic musical experience, alcohol, blow and sex industry workers.

With hair like that I bet he has magic hands.

I'm not sure the shows they were doing at the holiday Inn on 57th in manhattan about 10 years ago were even that big. Maybe 10 dealers and 10 tables of artists, etc.

I'm not sure the shows they were doing at the holiday Inn on 57th in manhattan about 10 years ago were even that big. Maybe 10 dealers and 10 tables of artists, etc.

Was that the one in the old church?

The Big Apple show in the church basement had more then 10-20 comic dealers.

I was not aware of a show that was done at the Holiday Inn on 57th street.

There was a one day show in NY that I don't know who ran it. Competed with Fred Greenburgh's show. Ghost Town might remember because he did come to that show when I was first setting up.

Bob

Was not a dealer in the 80's. Was a dealer from 1973-1978, got back into comics in 1991. Valiant was the hot flavor of the month at the time. Would go to Fred Greenburg (Great Eastern) shows. Another iconic promoter of how to do shows the wrong way.

1973 ? Jeez man, just how old are you ?

I have been dealing comics since 1977. Sure, I was 5, but that didn't stop me from setting up my table at the street fair in front of my apartment building.

The Big Apple show in the church basement had more then 10-20 comic dealers.

I was not aware of a show that was done at the Holiday Inn on 57th street.

There was a one day show in NY that I don't know who ran it. Competed with Fred Greenburgh's show. Ghost Town might remember because he did come to that show when I was first setting up.

Bob

I don't remember who ran the competing show either. There were many shows at the New Yorker Hotel and I can't recall if those were Greenberg shows or the other promoter.

Thinking back, it's amazing how much quality material was packed into that basement at the church shows. The lighting was terrible, the room was cramped, the food was scary, but there were always great books in the room.