• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potential Wizard bankruptcy???

271 posts in this topic

What I see at most local shows is sellers without business plans.

They are not sure who they are selling to, they very rarely set themselves apart from every other seller in the room, show no originality in the name of their business if they even have one, look like a flea market seller, not sure of their business model, under capitalized and treat it as a hobby.

This seems as good a place as any to ask for feedback on an idea I've been kicking around.

Bob mentions shows as networking.

Suppose, instead of taking a massive booth at a show, one took the minimum space they can get and instead spent the money on a nice hotel suite. Set up a hospitality suite and had customers stopping by to sample some goods, take a load off their feet for awhile, have refreshments and just network. Dealers could spend some time one on one with clients or prospective clients, find out what they are looking for and present a sample inventory as well as pull up scans of the books buyers are looking for. Any sales would result in the books being shipped to the buyers home, saving them the hassles.

Just an idea I've been kicking around. Beats the Hell out of shipping inventory around the country to every show, and goes a long way towards reducing shrinkage.

There are already vendors that are doing this.

At NYCC Hasbro no longer rents the space at the venue. What they do is promote the fact that they take a suite somewhere in Manhattan and it is open to press only. About five years ago, Hasbro admitted that NYCC was no longer worth the expense as they felt that they generated enough interest for their product at NY Toy Fare and SDCC as well as a few of the various club shows like JoeCon and BotCon for GI Joe and Transformers respectively. Since then they scaled down their promo budgets by getting suites and inviting the press to view upcoming product.

They...show no originality in the name of their business if they even have one, ...

"High Grade Comics" screams ORIGINALITY to me! (thumbs u

They...show no originality in the name of their business if they even have one, ...

Maybe" Comics for More" was taken. :baiting:

By the way, Bob, did you do Kenny Diamonds Rockville Center shows back in the mid to late 1980s?

Was not a dealer in the 80's. Was a dealer from 1973-1978, got back into comics in 1991. Valiant was the hot flavor of the month at the time. Would go to Fred Greenburg (Great Eastern) shows. Another iconic promoter of how to do shows the wrong way.

This seems as good a place as any to ask for feedback on an idea I've been kicking around.

Suppose, instead of taking a massive booth at a show, one took the minimum space they can get and instead spent the money on a nice hotel suite. Set up a hospitality suite and had customers stopping by to sample some goods, take a load off their feet for awhile, have refreshments and just network. Dealers could spend some time one on one with clients or prospective clients, find out what they are looking for and present a sample inventory as well as pull up scans of the books buyers are looking for. Any sales would result in the books being shipped to the buyers home, saving them the hassles.

Just an idea I've been kicking around. Beats the Hell out of shipping inventory around the country to every show, and goes a long way towards reducing shrinkage.

At NYCC Hasbro no longer rents the space at the venue. What they do is promote the fact that they take a suite somewhere in Manhattan and it is open to press only. About five years ago, Hasbro admitted that NYCC was no longer worth the expense as they felt that they generated enough interest for their product at NY Toy Fare and SDCC as well as a few of the various club shows like JoeCon and BotCon for GI Joe and Transformers respectively. Since then they scaled down their promo budgets by getting suites and inviting the press to view upcoming product.

Wait a minute... are you telling me that there are comic book vendors doing the suite cons? How many of them are doing that? The way you are saying kinda make some sense in doing that route. But it also seems ideal for a major vendor, not a small time vendor?

That is new to me, I learn something at my age lol

But didn't the hotel complain about the traffic going or coming from a vendor's suite con? I knew most major business dealers had used this idea for long time, my dad used to tell me about his business trips.

I like the idea of not lugging boxes and boxes of comics, and just bring scans of mega keys + such that. But I still like the physical feel and eyes on key books in person. :shy:

I like the name Comic Heaven

Tomorrow's Treasures is kind of memorable, although I think it's widely used by antique stores (junk shops)

If you're going to run a comic biz out of NYC, Metropolis is a good name

Wait a minute... are you telling me that there are comic book vendors doing the suite cons? How many of them are doing that? The way you are saying kinda make some sense in doing that route. But it also seems ideal for a major vendor, not a small time vendor?

But didn't the hotel complain about the traffic going or coming from a vendor's suite con? I knew most major business dealers had used this idea for long time, my dad used to tell me about his business trips.

I like the idea of not lugging boxes and boxes of comics, and just bring scans of mega keys + such that. But I still like the physical feel and eyes on key books in person. :shy:

Richie Muchin is one of the dealers who does the small hotel suite convention, which I really, really enjoy. I hate having to elbow with other buyers and I enjoy leisurely going through the material. I've gone to several dealers houses when they get new material in. As someone who routinely spends five figures on deals and books, I am more likely to spend that with a dealer who's providing an environment that's more private than on the show floor, or as shadroch mentioned, I'll buy online.

Richie Muchin is one of the dealers who does the small hotel suite convention, which I really, really enjoy. I hate having to elbow with other buyers and I enjoy leisurely going through the material. I've gone to several dealers houses when they get new material in. As someone who routinely spends five figures on deals and books, I am more likely to spend that with a dealer who's providing an environment that's more private than on the show floor, or as shadroch mentioned, I'll buy online.

My home office is always open. Feel free to come by and drop those 5 figures.

Maybe" Comics for More" was taken. :baiting:

By the way, Bob, did you do Kenny Diamonds Rockville Center shows back in the mid to late 1980s?

:roflmao: