• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potential Wizard bankruptcy???

271 posts in this topic

There was a guy who posted here under a variety of monkey names who had a little show in midtown a few years ago. Think it was in the Fifties. Is that the show?

Yes, that. Not a great selection at the shows. I think I stopped after the second one. 15 minute walk to my old apartment was a plus.

The Big Apple show in the church basement had more then 10-20 comic dealers.

I was not aware of a show that was done at the Holiday Inn on 57th street.

There was a one day show in NY that I don't know who ran it. Competed with Fred Greenburgh's show. Ghost Town might remember because he did come to that show when I was first setting up.

Bob

I don't remember who ran the competing show either. There were many shows at the New Yorker Hotel and I can't recall if those were Greenberg shows or the other promoter.

Thinking back, it's amazing how much quality material was packed into that basement at the church shows. The lighting was terrible, the room was cramped, the food was scary, but there were always great books in the room.

The Church show was great. And you're right. The quality and number of books you could look at in a few hours was tremendous. Even if you were pressed for time, you could always leave with something you were looking for. Good times.

There was a guy who posted here under a variety of monkey names who had a little show in midtown a few years ago. Think it was in the Fifties. Is that the show?

It's possible but I don't think that's the show I'm thinking about. The shows were probably in the 1994-1997 time frame. Maybe before and even after the big Greenberg show imploded.

I sort of remember the shows being at hotels somewhere in the 30s streetwise on the West side.

I realize I'm being extremely vague and would be a terrible police witness.

If done local, it seems like some of the board get togethers become opportunities to make new connections between dealers and collectors. Even though these seem to be more geek feast, they also seem to be a good networking opportunity. I know I would love to host one in CO at my distillery. I have a 4600 sq ft space with alcohol so it is sure to be a good time. I may try it this summer/fall.

If done local, it seems like some of the board get togethers become opportunities to make new connections between dealers and collectors. Even though these seem to be more geek feast, they also seem to be a good networking opportunity. I know I would love to host one in CO at my distillery. I have a 4600 sq ft space with alcohol so it is sure to be a good time. I may try it this summer/fall.

Make sure I'm on the list, depending on where in CO I'd see about making a drive.

It seems to me that events like Elite Con or other similar events targeted toward comics would be well received. If done right there would be plenty of interest, I'd think. OAF Con seems to be a pretty good model.

Make sure I'm on the list, depending on where in CO I'd see about making a drive.

It seems to me that events like Elite Con or other similar events targeted toward comics would be well received. If done right there would be plenty of interest, I'd think. OAF Con seems to be a pretty good model.

The beautiful thing if we do it in my space is dealers/collectors could set up for free and attendees could come in for free!

The beautiful thing if we do it in my space is dealers/collectors could set up for free and attendees could come in for free!

Even better, rather than simply attend I could bring a small setup! :banana:

Too bad about Wizard.

Maybe a year and a half or so ago they were planning a Las Vegas convention that would have focused on all versions of Guardians of the Galaxy- they were apparently contacting or looking to contact anyone ever involved in those books. At least that's what I heard from one of the main people on the books. Never came to fruition though. Would have definitely traveled for that one.

Monkey House promoter (Dave Cummings) ran Boston shows. Not sure if he attempted NY shows.

The guys name was Dave. He used to set up next to Gene from Genes Comics at the Penta, and ran his own little show around the corner from Fat Sals pizza. I just can't remember which Fat Sals.

I liked Chicago Con before Wizard got a hold of it. Back when All the main publishers went there. Now all I see are celebrity autographs etc. I like some comics at the comic book convention. I also have never liked either Shamus brother or anything they have done. I took my son to Chicago last year since he hasd never been. I will go to C2E2 instead this year.

I will go to WW St. Louis since it is in my backyard if they still have it.

I will go to WW St. Louis since it is in my backyard...

Well that is one way for them to save on the convention center rental fees.

Good thinking and bravo to Wizard.

Can you post your address? They haven't updated the website yet.

701 Convention Plz, Saint Louis, MO 63101

tyTc1Nl.jpg

Monkey House promoter (Dave Cummings) ran Boston shows. Not sure if he attempted NY shows.

The guys name was Dave. He used to set up next to Gene from Genes Comics at the Penta, and ran his own little show around the corner from Fat Sals pizza. I just can't remember which Fat Sals.

Dave's not here man.

tyTc1Nl.jpg

lol