• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone agonize over having artwork just sitting in portfolios?

89 posts in this topic

I don't have a big collection by any stretch of the imagination but a lot of it just sits in portfolios and gets looked at infrequently. I am at a place now where I am seriously considering hanging what I can fit on my walls and selling the rest. Anyone else take this approach?

I don't have a big collection by any stretch of the imagination but a lot of it just sits in portfolios and gets looked at infrequently. I am at a place now where I am seriously considering hanging what I can fit on my walls and selling the rest. Anyone else take this approach?

[font:Book Antiqua]I hear you...

Those Breyfrogle must go..!

[/font]

:devil:

[font:Book Antiqua]I hear you...

Those Breyfrogle must go..!

[/font]

:devil:

Those are some of the few on the wall !

I've said it many times but I did that years ago, and it more or less been that way since. The only new art I buy generally has to be good enough to replace something else on the wall. It's a battle, but also keeps spending in check, and the curation forces some deep thoughts and stems a lot of impulse buys. Plus the sell off really helped me focus on my real interests and get to know my own tastes much more acutely.

Yes and no.

Yes, I agonize occasionally due to not having a lot of art on the wall. I am in a situation currently where I don't know how long I will be here so I don't let it bother me too much but I do think about it.

No, because I don't have a big problem pouring through my portfolios frequently. Earlier this year I bought enough portfolios so that everything is in a page within a portfolio and the portfolios are organized the way I like to view them. They are handy and easy to pick up once or twice a month to flip through.

I hear a lot of long-time collectors that go through the consolidation phase of greatly downsizing their collection (for volume or framing considerations) and I do often wonder if this will hit me at some point. For now, I am still in the acquisition mode and enjoying it considerably.

Good question, good thread.

No, I have been collecting for 30 years and store most of my artwork in portfolios. I do have alot of art framed and hanging on the walls plus oversize art in my blueprint drawer. Over the course of a year I do go thru my collection to look at my art but also I regularly reorganize the portfolios when adding new pieces.

No, I have been collecting for 30 years and store most of my artwork in portfolios. I do have alot of art framed and hanging on the walls plus oversize art in my blueprint drawer. Over the course of a year I do go thru my collection to look at my art but also I regularly reorganize the portfolios when adding new pieces.

Since buying new portfolios I actually look forward to the reorganizing when new art is added.

30 years, wow ... that has to be a pretty impressive stack of portfolios!

The blueprint drawer is great for the oversize pieces which I store over size portfolios, 3-16x20, 2-22x28 plus the art too big for any portfolios. I have about 30 portfolios mixture of 14x17 and 13x19 plus about a dozen 11x14 and smaller (those haveOA and animations cels).

When I moved in to my current house it had a nook which was perfect for a bookshelf, so I built a custom one to fit all my 13x19 and smaller portfolios. The Itoyas have a plastic sleeve for the spine, I have printed out labels for most of my portfolios (a few I still need to label). Helps when looking for a specify piece. Here is a pick of the custom shelf.

bpeck_OA_Port.jpg

I will get there eventually but I only have one portfolio so far. I actually took it out last night and rearranged them in order of favortites first, etc. Made room for a few pieces that are being shipped but I defintely want to frame a couple next year so I can hang them on the wall.