• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"HIGHEST GRADED"

13 posts in this topic

9.8, for example, could be the highest grade awarded by CGC to a particular issue, but any number of copies of the issue could've been given that status.

When offering a comic book for sale does "HIGHEST GRADED" usually mean it's

the only one with that grade...or it is one of many with the same grade?

mm

Usually when sellers offer HIGHEST GRADED it means one of several at that grade. Doesn't mean it is the best. it could have oww pages for example when another of the same grade may have WHITE PAGES.

SINGLE HIGHEST GRADED is what you need to look out for if you want the stand alone highest.

mm

tied for highest grade, 1 of several or many

generally people will add some version of "lone copy" "only copy", etc to it when its the only one

mm

tied for highest grade, 1 of several or many

generally people will add some version of "lone copy" "only copy", etc to it when its the only one

Sometimes I check the census when people claim highest graded copy for 9.8s. Often I find a 9.9 that is higher

Sometimes I check the census when people claim highest graded copy for 9.8s. Often I find a 9.9 that is higher

Often they'll clsim they didnt know,or the 9.9 came along after they listed, oe re-listed, or theyve been relisting the book on ebay for years and never bothered to recheck.

Lesson is, dont buy unless you verify.

mm

I'll echo the rest and say that unless the seller states that the book is the "sole highest graded," there are likely more, possibly hundreds more, copies with the same grade.

I'm ok with that terminology. The terminology I find deceptive is when someone says a book is "second highest graded" when there are multiple copies in the next highest grade. In other words, there are 200 copies in 9.8 and the seller labels his 9.6 copy "second highest graded." It's not the second highest graded copy, it's (tied for) the 201st highest graded copy.

If two teams are tied for first place, the team with the next best record isn't in second place, it's in third place.

For moderns, it probably doesn't matter because everyone knows what's going on, but for GA books it can be misleading to label your 7.5 "second highest graded" when there are, say, three copies graded 8.0.

A lot of times when I search for concert and event tickets, sellers use the term first tow in the same sense. You click the listing only to learn its first row alright......of the balcony......behind the stage.

The sound can be really good back there, though. :insane: