• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Must sell one, which should go? DD1 or ST 110?

42 posts in this topic

To run with the related down-the-road movie speculation, Dormammu and Loki were the villains that instigated the Avengers-Defenders War way back in the early bronze day...just sayin'....

Putting that aside, I think its hair-splitting. DD yes somewhat more popular since the Miller run, but for all the years prior he was as second-tier as Doc. His series hobbled along bi-monthly for quite a while. 50 years in, DD is more established but Doc has a new lease on life. So I lean with the guys who point out ST110 is earlier and far less common, relatively.

But, OTOH, its still much easier to find than Hulk #1 or TTA #27.

Heck, is there nothing else to sell?!?! I come down to I don't want to part with two books from the same sub-tier among Marvel's dirty dozen early SA firsts...start the lemonade stand; I'm good for a large!

Keep em both. They both will continue to go up in value. Two modern characters.

DD is the core character for the Netflix universe,while the baton has been passed from Tony Stark to Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In 5 years I could see both of these keys doubling in price. I look to sell something else.

Believe me, I'm looking to keep both, and I have other stuff I can sell, though none that will so quickly and easily fetch the +1000 that I need. It is hard to part with them, and I may try to avoid it by selling some other stuff. We'll see. I appreciate the consideration and the discussion. Thanks. Still thinking about it, and haven't brought myself to list either one yet. Though some needs are important than others, as I'm sure most here understand.

Other options I consider selling to avoid having to part with either of these: X-Men 94 (VG), Giant Size X-Men 1, ASM 129 (unlikely to let go), ASM issues btw 25-50 (don't want to sell earlier quite yet), X-Men issues btw 10-20 (don't seem to have much of a market atm), Marvel Spotlight 5, stuff like that. Of course I'd have to sell several pieces rather than one, though I might, in order to keep the rarer materials.

avoid selling both IMO

I've thinned out my personal collection quite a bit - so much so that I'm down to 25 keys/mega-keys and a handful of key/semi key copper to modern raws (which I plan to sell as well and put toward something else)

ST 110 and DD 1 would be untouchables.

besides the lemonade stand, how about giving blood?

Silver age Spideys are among the most liquid comics, and pretty reliable final auction hammer prices. Pull (and keep) the keys ASM 25-50 and sell some of the other and you should be able to get fair prices, fast. And the past decade (I bought a bunch of mine in 08-09) hasn't seen much increase in the non-key mid grade ranges. The theory being you can later buy back your missing Spideys and not kick yourself for selling back in '16.

avoid selling both IMO

I've thinned out my personal collection quite a bit - so much so that I'm down to 25 keys/mega-keys and a handful of key/semi key copper to modern raws (which I plan to sell as well and put toward something else)

ST 110 and DD 1 would be untouchables.

besides the lemonade stand, how about giving blood?

there's another bodily fluid, that if you're the right kind of person with the right kind of education living in the right location can get you $900 per week for 'donations'.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I think I will do all I can to hold the two keys and to let go of other stuff. I have around 6000 books (once had over 15000) so it's been a one way relationship in recent years, but there's still plenty to sell. I have held keys and will try to continue to do so. Thanks again for the encouragement. Family emergencies trump all, though I should be able to find other comic assets to liquidate. FWIW, I was not impressed with the prices my ASM 50-75 were bringing, though hopefully some of the earlier books will do better.

Try selling with a Spidey thread here before ebay, the extra work required is setting a price. A chance at both getting closer to what you think is fair and saving on some fees.

Then if you get no luck of course you'll have to do all the (uploading and listing) work again for ebay . . .

I know what you mean about selling silver age spideys, I've sold some myself recently on ebay and am disappointed that they've been pretty flat since I bought a lot of them nine years ago. Never mind the FFs.

Silver age Spideys are among the most liquid comics, and pretty reliable final auction hammer prices. Pull (and keep) the keys ASM 25-50 and sell some of the other and you should be able to get fair prices, fast. And the past decade (I bought a bunch of mine in 08-09) hasn't seen much increase in the non-key mid grade ranges. The theory being you can later buy back your missing Spideys and not kick yourself for selling back in '16.

Sounds like a good plan.

Also hold on to the ASM #129. The Punisher should get even hotter with the Netflix show on the way.