• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB Cockrum X-Men Anything

14 posts in this topic

Chris Claremont's X-Men run is easily my favorite comic run of all time and an important piece of my youth. I know based on price I'll never own anything Byrne did on or related to the book. Pages of X-Men proper may be out of my league as well, what I'm looking for is any of the other X-Men stuff Cockrum did. Sketches, commissions, doodles, hell I'd take a Cyclops picture drawn on a napkin. It doesn't even have to be X-Men specific, I don't care if it's Shi'Ar, Starjammers etc.

If you have any leads, let me know.

Thanks!

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait for a published 2nd-run X-Men page with Starjammers on it. You can get pretty good bang for your buck with those: cool characters in great Cockrum costume designs without the X-Men-level prices.

Bonus! the nostalgia itch gets scratched.

These are all great suggestions, thanks! Unfortunately, I'm looking for something on the lower end of the spectrum in the $100-200 range, which realistically won't get me a lot. I know at that price original published art is out of the question, I'm keeping hope alive for a cheap cocktail napkin sketch!

How much (roughly) would a page from his second run with the Starjammers on it (rather than the X-Men) cost as per J.Sid's recommendation?

I'm sorry that I don't have anything to offer you. I can tell you that about a year or two ago, I sold my Cockrum Cyclops remark, for too little, regrettably. I sold for about as much as I paid for in 2001/02, $70. This was a Dynamic Forces edition that I bought from QVC or Home Shopping Network. But the good news is, look at how many he did. You're bound to come across one. Keep scouring eBay!

Cockrum Cyclops

Check out the Heritage Weekly auctions.

Here's a good one that sold for less than $200 in 2015:

Nightcrawler

Thanks for the heads up! I never used Heritage because I thought it was for real high end stuff and original comic art, but I now I see the occasionally have sketches and commissions for sale too. I made an account, now what's the best next step? Set up alerts for search criteria I'd like to follow?

Yes, but be judicious with how you set it up or you'll get tons of emails :P

one nice thing about Heritage is that once you've identified a piece you really want, you can set up text alerts so you don't spend all your time glued to the auction.