• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spawn Variants

102 posts in this topic

I just picked up a Spawn #1 B/W Signed by Mcfarlane only a 9.2 though but I think it was a pretty good deal or at least I hope so

Nice! How much did you snag it for, if I may ask?

$150 with shipping going to hold on to it for a while since I can't really afford a 9.6 or 9.8

That's really it. The scarcity of the variant cover is what makes it so valuable. It was a random chase variant. Just to give you an idea, Spawn 185 B&W variant (the most expensive and sought after Spawn book) was a random chase variant and it has held its value and more since its release. I don't think 222 will ever match the value of 185 but it is certainly a book worth keeping in your collection. Spawn collectors are notorious for paying premium prices for HTF Spawn issues. I should know, I'm one of them.

That's really it. The scarcity of the variant cover is what makes it so valuable. It was a random chase variant. Just to give you an idea, Spawn 185 B&W variant (the most expensive and sought after Spawn book) was a random chase variant and it has held its value and more since its release. I don't think 222 will ever match the value of 185 but it is certainly a book worth keeping in your collection. Spawn collectors are notorious for paying premium prices for HTF Spawn issues. I should know, I'm one of them.

What exactly is a chase variant?

Edit:

and yes that 185 sketch variant is probably tied with the #1 b/w variant as my favorite 2 covers of any comic

Chase variant means generally, something that suddenly people became interested in and there are more people chasing it then copies available, driving the price sky high.

I personally would add, the interest came afterwards, and wasnt there at release. I dont know if that applies to the Spawn book, but certainly does for the ASM high value modern variants.

Creating "chase" variants out of books no one cares about is essentially what I was arguing with the cBSi guys about in the heating up thread.

In this response, a "chase" is referring to an incentive (ratio) variant.

Chase is more commonly used is sports cards.

All 1:x are chase variants to an extent, but ones no one cares about ones are easily obtained on ebay. I think you need to differentiate between ones that fall flat, and ones that "held its value".