• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grading issues - Rainbow Bags

29 posts in this topic

Been talking to my LCS about getting some books graded, he showed me the last few he's sent in to get graded and the bags they books are sealed in have like a rainbow effect / oil on water effect. And it makes the cover art look like . Anyone have any insight into what the heck is going on with the bags they use to encase the books when they are graded? I will try and grab a pic and post it for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Makes me never want to get a book graded after reading some threads and watching some vids on this. I wonder if CBCS has this problem. Cause with getting black and white spawn variants and then getting them graded my ocd will go nuts if i get it back from cgc with oil marks all over the darn thing.

All you need to know is the book A) the book is safe and B) CGC fixed this issue months ago, the new cases are sublime (thumbs u

Jerome

I love the revamped new cases ! I haven't experienced the "rainbow effect" yet.

Now, the defective new cases from earlier in the year had that and I had to send books back. They reslabbed the books for free.

All you need to know is the book A) the book is safe and B) CGC fixed this issue months ago, the new cases are sublime (thumbs u

Jerome

My buddy subbed a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st appearance of spider man) it came back with the rainbow skid marks this was just last month and he was super pissed. So I doubt this has been fixed yet. I'm out of town til the end of the week but next chance I get I'll stop by my buddies and snap a pic of the spidey with oil marks for you guys to see, and let me know if that is the new case or the old case.

My buddy subbed a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 (1st appearance of spider man) it came back with the rainbow skid marks this was just last month and he was super pissed. So I doubt this has been fixed yet. I'm out of town til the end of the week but next chance I get I'll stop by my buddies and snap a pic of the spidey with oil marks for you guys to see, and let me know if that is the new case or the old case.

Thanks for clearing that up, saved me a lot of research on the google.

lol

Could have been 1st appearance of Amadeus Cho............

:roflmao:

lol

I love spiderman! Adding this to my list!!!

Jerome

Now, the defective new cases from earlier in the year had that and I had to send books back. They reslabbed the books for free.

Almost all of the 60 books I subbed have come back with Newton Rings in various degrees. The case is pretty nice despite that.

What you really need to watch out for is puddling. Haven't seen that yet myself, but it's still occurring with new cases

lol

I love spiderman! Adding this to my list!!!

I agree, Miles Morales is a great character!

Jerome

Almost all of the 60 books I subbed have come back with Newton Rings in various degrees. The case is pretty nice despite that.

What you really need to watch out for is puddling. Haven't seen that yet myself, but it's still occurring with new cases

Are they still using the new case?

Jerome

:hi: It's the new case with the inner well and wedges. So, newest so far case, yes

All of my slabbed books from CGC have this.. including ones in the brand new case (subbed last month).

The 'rainbow' effect is only slightly less prevalent in the new case compared to the old, but it is still very noticeable.

I'll admit, this is disappointing, but I'm not sure what alternative I have other than to go with a competitor. (I'd prefer to stay with CGC)

FWIW, I have one slabbed book in the competitor's case and there is absolutely NO 'rainbow' puddling

Jerome

:hi: It's the new case with the inner well and wedges. So, newest so far case, yes

I just heard of the new case fail last week. I wasn't keeping tabs. So did they abandon the no inner well case?

Jerome

I just heard of the new case fail last week. I wasn't keeping tabs. So did they abandon the no inner well case?

The press case has gone the path of the DoDo, I believe the change to an inner well happend in April-May... not too sure

Jerome

The press case has gone the path of the DoDo, I believe the change to an inner well happend in April-May... not too sure

The inner well returned late June.