• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Grading issues - Rainbow Bags

29 posts in this topic

All you need to know is the book A) the book is safe and B) CGC fixed this issue months ago, the new cases are sublime (thumbs u

Jerome

I love the revamped new cases ! I haven't experienced the "rainbow effect" yet.

Now, the defective new cases from earlier in the year had that and I had to send books back. They reslabbed the books for free.

Almost all of the 60 books I subbed have come back with Newton Rings in various degrees. The case is pretty nice despite that.

What you really need to watch out for is puddling. Haven't seen that yet myself, but it's still occurring with new cases

Are they still using the new case?

:hi: It's the new case with the inner well and wedges. So, newest so far case, yes

I just heard of the new case fail last week. I wasn't keeping tabs. So did they abandon the no inner well case?

The press case has gone the path of the DoDo, I believe the change to an inner well happend in April-May... not too sure

The inner well returned late June.

You would think one of the industry leaders in comic book grading would get their mess together and solve this problem.

Well I for one am not looking forward to paying $100 for a slab to be made.

It's simple dynamics, when two surfaces meet, these effects take place. While people can proclaim while they are blue in the face that Voldy slabs don't have as many. Fact is, they still have them as well.

A slab redesign may cure the problem, fact is, it will probably cost more to manufacture.

For the sake of having a few swirls appear, I'd rather pay a cheaper price. The book is protected by museum grade plastic, that's good enough.

You would think one of the industry leaders in comic book grading would get their mess together and solve this problem.

It's simple dynamics, when two surfaces meet, these effects take place. While people can proclaim while they are blue in the face that Voldy slabs don't have as many. Fact is, they still have them as well.

A slab redesign may cure the problem, fact is, it will probably cost more to manufacture.

For the sake of having a few swirls appear, I'd rather pay a cheaper price. The book is protected by museum grade plastic, that's good enough.

I've never seen a CBCS slab have this problem so why are they able to not have this issue and yet CGC does?

Also I have many graded Magic cards and Football cards graded by BGS and they are put in a plastic inner holder and then encased in a hard outer holder much like a CGC slab except smaller and I've never seen them have this issue and its plastic on plastic as well.

I've never seen a CBCS slab have this problem so why are they able to not have this issue and yet CGC does?

Also I have many graded Magic cards and Football cards graded by BGS and they are put in a plastic inner holder and then encased in a hard outer holder much like a CGC slab except smaller and I've never seen them have this issue and its plastic on plastic as well.

Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not there. It's just not as frequent.

Is it a case of different materials? Possibly. Although I am almost sure they use barex and mylar as well. I haven't really gone in depth with the voldy case....yet. Still have to pick one up

For CBCS I only have a few so I can't say for certain however looking at hundreds and hundreds of graded books on ebay and elsewhere I've never seen a CBCS have the "Oil Spots" but I have seen it on many CGC books

As for graded cards I probably have 400+ cards magic and football that have never had the oil spot issue different materials most likely but that just tells me that CGC needs to switch what ever they are using. I simply cant understand how a book that can be worth thousands and grades a 9.8 comes back looking like because the holder has an inferior design / design defect. For how much CGC charges per book already as a paying customer I would rather pay $5 or $10 more and get my book back not looking like .

Here's an example of the slabbed cards same as a comic

https://postimg.org/gallery/2xj5f00gm/

Not sure why CGC can't figure this out, unless they simply don't care.

Yeah my thoughts too, but OCD runs deep in the slab community.

I haven't had ANY problems with the new new case, the most recent case is great!

They reholdered about 10 of mine for free :)

I also haven't heard of ANY-one that has had problems since late June