• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flaming Carrot!

25 posts in this topic

At my LCS yesterday, was absolutely amazed to see a new issue of Flaming Carrot! (I don't browse new books very regularly, so if this has been discussed to death already, apologies.)

Man, did I love this book in the 80s, but the infrequency with which it came out made it hard to maintain active interest. I started collecting it during the wait between issues #14 and #15, and stopped collecting it during the wait between issues #18 and #19...which was about a two-and-a-half-year period, as I recall. In those days before the internet, it took me that whole period of time to assemble the #2-#13 run, trudging from comic store to comic store. And in more recent years (and thanks to ebay and Donut!), I finally picked up issue #1.

Any other Copper fans out there who remember the Carrot fondly?

I don't think we ever found that out. Also, the mystery of the speaker implanted in his chest...

The Killian Barracks FC #1 that I picked up last year was one of my grails. If I could just complete a set of Visions now I'd be all carroted up. smile.gif

Thanks guys. I'll have to pick up the new issues.

I also have some of the oddball (well, weren't they all?) Carrot appearances and Bob Burden projects from the mid-eighties. At the time, ANYTHING by Bob Burden seemed like a pretty big deal...

Anything Goes #1 (beautiful 5-page COLOR Carrot origin story)

A-V in 3-D #1 (Carrot story)

Cerebus #61-62 (Carrot backup stories), #63 (Burden story)

Cerebus #104 (full Carrot x-over)

Gumby's Summer Fun Special (art by Art Adams)

Robot Comics #0

and probably others I'm not remembering right now.

That's very cool, Zanarkand! I never did manage to get a Killian Barracks #1.

I have about five issues not counting the Turtles and Cerebus crossovers (so about ten or so in all) and I plan on completing because I love the concept, and the Mystery Men, but it's down the list after finshing Amazing (05-06 goal) and TMNT #1 forst print and finishing Usagi, so maybe five years away.

Ut! I''m not up on what is going on in the current marketplace, this caught me off completely off guard! Had to shoot Bob and email. Funn!! Cannot wait.

Welcome to the boards!! yay.gif

I'm actually quite curious about what made Bob Burden relaunch FC...the book seemed to trail off in the mid-nineties, so I figured that he might have quite reasonably lost interest after so many years of doing it. Probably the letter columns will explain all...I always used to enjoy his "Bob Speaks!" column. I'll plan to pick up these two new issues soon.

Flaming Carrot is one of the few bright-spots of the 80's books for me. I've managed to pick up quite a few copies here and there, as they fly under the radar. Great books!!!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Flaming Carrot Instant Graemlins ?!?

Vootie! I just read the first two all new issues and they're great, Bob hasn't lost a step. I was afraid he might start putting too much of his right wing politics in his books, but he really kept it in check. Well, mostly. Anyway, the new Carrot is aces, I recommend highly.

I could have picked up a copy of Visions # 1 at a recent show in really nice condition for ~$100. I didn't and i probably should have. frown.gif

I have seen several decent copies on eBay within the last year. One will pop up soon. thumbsup2.gif