• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

On 9/1/2017 at 2:27 PM, Bronty said:

that golden page, if it is what it says it is, went crazy cheap

From the item's description copied in DickO's article:

The penciler of this splash was verified by the artist, and signed by him in the upper-left corner.

If I had any doubts after that, then the Thor figure on the page would convince me.  Especially the perspective and creasing of the circle designs on Thor's shorts.  I can't think of any other artist (mostly journeymen/newbies doing these fill-in pieces for the Marvel UK reprints) from that period who would have done it that way.  Additionally, Thor's hair, face and silhouette also lean Golden.  Although there's almost none of his signature style here, there's enough to convince me that it's one of his very early pieces when he was still working some things out (while having to comply with editorial mandates to match the style of the original artist).  And, somebody originally penciled "MG" in the upper right above the inker's initials.*

My rationale for the lower-than-expected price would be that it lacks that distinctive "Golden" touch.  However, it's still a nice piece for that period, has good character inclusion and seems like it would present very well.

Disclaimer:  I'm not the consignor or the winning bidder for this item.

* DV maybe?  I wouldn't be surprised to see Dave Hunt or John Verpoorten here...

That Avengers splash is definitely Golden.  I've been researching/identifying Marvel British Department art the past several years, and many people who workejd there (Bob Budiansky, Howard Bender, Jay Boyar) have told me Golden got some of his first assignments from them.  This one is dated March 77, so was when he came back to NY that winter to break into the field for good.   He got a few other Marvel fill-in jobs at the same time, most of which were published years later in Marvel Fanfare and Bizarre Adventures.  It was really fortuitous that this came onto the market, since I hadn't been able to confirm any of his British work until this point (Golden (and his agent) is not very responsive to inquiries).   The "DV" inker was Duffy Vohland, who inked a ton of British work.

If anybody has any British work from 1974-1978 they want identified, feel free to send me a message.  I've got 80% coverage (of 2,000 new art pieces from that period), and if not already identified, we can probably figure it out from what's written on the front or back of the art.  I've mainly worked with the artists to identify things, but OA is the best source by far. 

Jason

1 hour ago, O. said:

New Article - 15/9/17

Part 2 of Andrew "Micronauts" Allen's Collector Spotlight is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/09/15/collector-spotlight-andrew-allen-part-2/

Fantastic read!  I think this long-form exposition format is great - let the subject direct and determine what and how much he wants to talk about.  (thumbsu

On 9/15/2017 at 10:15 AM, O. said:

New Article - 15/9/17

Part 2 of Andrew "Micronauts" Allen's Collector Spotlight is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/09/15/collector-spotlight-andrew-allen-part-2/

Another exclusive reveal in this article; this time, a never-before-seen Michael Golden page from MICRONAUTS #12 !

35 minutes ago, O. said:

New Article - 22/9/17

Report on the recent ComicConnect and eBay auctions is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/09/22/market-report-september-2017-comicconnect-and-ebay-auctions/

Liked your update. 2 things. 

1. The Finch art market has been softening lately for some reason. Even hit Batman pages. Not sure why that is. 

2. I wholeheartedly agree with you on Magic The Gathering card art. There’s huge growth potential there. 

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Liked your update. 2 things. 

1. The Finch art market has been softening lately for some reason. Even hit Batman pages. Not sure why that is. 

2. I wholeheartedly agree with you on Magic The Gathering card art. There’s huge growth potential there. 

Which pages have you seen soften

My experience is that prices are up. Both for stuff i consigned to auction and for stuff i was lookin at to get.  The recent clink auction had some strong finishes compared to a year back.