• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Aficionado [New Article - 1/12/17]
2 2

491 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MGS said:

Just wanted to give full credit to ComicLink here.  I emailed them about this and they agreed to a return right away.  I was prepared for more of a battle :).  Looks like I'll continue to be a happy ComicLink customer! 

Guess I'm back in the market for a Portacio UXM page.

Mike

Outstanding

New Article - 26/5/17

Report on last week's Heritage Signature Auction is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/05/26/market-report-may-2017-heritage-signature-auction-part-1/

This also marks the Original Art Aficionado column's 6-month anniversary, with articles produced every week since 1 December 2016:bigsmile: I'd like to wholeheartedly thank all the contributors and readers for your support; here's to many more articles to come!:tink:

A particularly good "issue" 

New Article - 26/5/17)

It shows a nice price comparison between artists working on the same character as well as insights into why price points can vary. I also like that you share art with a wide range of prices so beginners get a sense of the "market".

10 minutes ago, O. said:

New Article - 16/6/17

Report on last week's ComicLink Featured Auction is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/06/16/market-report-june-2017-comiclink-featured-auction/

The X-Force #7 page looks a bit weird to me.

Inker is listed as Liefeld, but is it because I'm used to other people inking him or was this deadline crunch where other people filled in that it feels off to me?

3 hours ago, O. said:

New Article - 16/6/17

Report on last week's ComicLink Featured Auction is up!

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/06/16/market-report-june-2017-comiclink-featured-auction/

For whatever reason that Miller/Rub Wolverine #1 page can't find a home. It's up for sale again even quicker, in the CL classifieds for $12K OBO.

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

Inker is listed as Liefeld, but is it because I'm used to other people inking him or was this deadline crunch where other people filled in that it feels off to me?

So... many... teeth...

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:48 AM, Twanj said:

Hmm it looks consistent with the other X-Force issues which Rob inked himself. I think that XF #7 page is Rob's actual inking style, which as you said, differs from Barta's inks on New Mutants and the fill-in jobs. 2c

For reference, Black Tom's and Warpath's faces in XF #4 & #6 respectively (see article below), appear to be inked in the same style as that #7 page.

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/03/24/artist-spotlight-rob-liefeld/

Edited by Dick O.

Appreciate the effort you put into these reports.  As someone anxiously awaiting to find out if I've won (tonight!) and consequently entered the original comic book art world, I greatly welcome these and other avenues available for edification.  I spent maybe a year or so researching and learning about this particular niche hobby.  As I'm sure many others on this board do, I happen to have other interests.  For instance I collect fine art, but was a little hesitant to enter this world given its nuances.  For some reason fine art just seems less confusing to me.  That said, I will greatly underscore your advocating for having a blueprint.  Most of my hesitation was centered around just that, what is my concentration?  Comic book art seems ubiquitous in that one can attain work quickly at various levels from a host of suppliers whether they are the artists, art dealers, conventions, or what have you.  I decided upon a working vision statement along the lines of I will collect pieces that to me exemplify the essence of the characters I love in this hobby.  It's vague and broad and I'm sure that may change, but at least it gives me parameters.  

I've found that OA has so much more context around it for me to sort through.  What I'm trying to say here is that there are other factors that accompany a piece of OA.  You have the penciller who may or may not be inked by another person (I still struggle with this concept).  The pages also come from a story line, which brings additional nuance and context.  For example, I was looking at a modern page a while ago featuring Superman.  When I researched the story a little more, it turns out that it was Superman, but of a different time.  So...nice art of my favorite hero, but at the same time not really Superman within the context of the story.   I asked myself if something like that mattered to me, and didn't really have a good answer.  Whereas with fine art (and not to say that OA isn't fine art) I find my collection largely driven by artist and period.  

At any rate, thank you again for your work.  It is noticed and appreciated.

Cheers.

Fine art is just as easy to acquire from an even larger host of suppliers.    Maybe its just newer to you than fine art and confusing for that reason.    I do remember starting to collect art and finding it really confusing.  After a while though you just get it.   

Vision statement might be a little much (?) but there's no harm in knowing where you want your collection to go.    Just be prepared for it to change, and therefore maybe don't carve that vision statement into stone.   What you like now won't be what you like after some hands on experience in the hobby.

Oh and most importantly, good luck on your buy and welcome.

Edited by Bronty