• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Fall Auction

264 posts in this topic

Reprinted (with permission) from Have a Cigar....

Haven't been around in Gold much (or elsewhere on the Boards for that matter), but I figured this was the best way to say "hi" to all my ole buddies in the GA Forum. :hi:

There was one gem in this month's C-Link auction that I just had to have. Since I am never going to own a high grade Cap # 1, this seemed like a suitable alternative, and it's still a grail book for me, being a Classic Schomburg cover as well as a first issue Timely key. The recent sale of the Penn copy in the Heritage Auction for a whopping $45k made me realize it was now or never if I ever wanted this book.

The old label goodness and below OS Guide sale price were the cherry and nuts on top of my awesome Sundae. :banana:

RADFDEFA20161019_1052.jpg

+1

Congrats on a very astute and Timely (pun intended) pickup, especially considering the price for this classic cover book. (thumbs u

Looks like the price guide is finally starting to catch up to this book as I remember that it used to always sell for multiples of guide back in the day.

Best time to pick up a book is when it's a bit cool, as the market will always tend to cycle back eventually, especially with respect to these key and classic books. hm

I should have mentioned, I thought prices were soft on the Batmans

numbers look soft nearly across the board. i was tracking it all auction and forgot that it ended last night but i would have won the captain marvel jr 4.5, half guide? sign me up.

plenty of awesome wins in this thread congrats!

+1

This would generally appear to be the case unless you are talking about a key or classic cover book which is most definitely the sweet spot in the marketplace right now.

Far too many books out there right now with all of the auctions going on for collectors to spend big money on mid-run non-key or non-classic books. It would appear that there is not enough money to go around as it's being saved for the truly collectible books. hm:(

Well the Hits were certainly a hit, I thought the prices were pretty strong, but not crazy.

Probably strong relative to what they have been selling for in the recent past. But definitely not crazy though, as all of them except for Hit 5, went for only around guide or even under guide in the case of the later Hit's. (shrug)

I cannot win a single one of these Mile High Jungle.

Those really went up a lot at the end :o

Yes, it would seem that we are seeing a strong resurgence in the inherent valuation of books with the Edgar Church pedigree during the past few years. (thumbs u

War 11 in 5.5 closed super strong at over $1,700. Maybe its status as a war classic is finally being recognized.

How did this one slip by a few weeks ago? It ended about an hour after I got home from work and I fell asleep waiting to place my snipe bid. :pullhair:

image_zpsgvudgluh.jpg

Damn, that was cheap.

Subbies got some hefty last minute/second bumps.

+1

Yes, it looks like the bidders gave all of the Subbie's a lot of loving in this particular auction. :o

Not sure what's going on here or if it's potential movie hype as Subbie's have traditionally not seen this kind of price action. (shrug)

It's also good to see that Subby 13 seems to finally be catching up to Subby 11 in terms of its popularity and demand. I have always thought that issue 13 with its hooded villains and snake bondage cover was a classic in its own right relative to long sought after issue 11. :cloud9:

Seems that even Overstreet has finally gotten around to recognizing issue #13 as a classic cover in its own right by finally breaking this book out in his price guide. (thumbs u

$205K for the TTA 27.
That's what I like to see +70k in the dwindling moments :popcorn:

I actually found the listing description to be a bit confusing to me here:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D48%26y%3D9%26pg%3D36%23Item%5F1151262&id=1151262

Since the scan indicates a book with the big fat ugly label, this means it must have been slabbed within the last few months. Yet the auction listing says this book was graded back in 2011 and also last sold for $200K back in July of 2013. Does this mean the book was simply sent back in for reslabbing as opposed to regrading? ???

Either way, looks like the consignor probably lost a little bit of money on it if they had to pay the seller's commission on the sale. Certainly not as much as the consignor for the CGC 9.4 copy of JIM 83 graded way back in 2004 who probably lost in the neighborhood of $100K after paying $275K for the same book back in February of 2014, if the auction description is correct:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D40%26y%3D16%26pg%3D27%23Item%5F1150697&id=1150697

Not sure if I am reading this correctly, but that would be a lot of coin for anybody to be dropping. :tonofbricks::censored::cry:

Very strong late bidding on the Wings

+1

Yes indeed, some very strong price action on the pedigree Wings with the GGA covers. (thumbs u

Makes me wonder how much a pedigree copy of Wings 90 or Wings 94 in similar high grade condition with their even more widely acknowledged classic GGA covers would fetch in today's hot marketplace for these types of books, if any were to surfaced? hm:cloud9:

$205K for the TTA 27.
That's what I like to see +70k in the dwindling moments :popcorn:

I actually found the listing description to be a bit confusing to me here:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D48%26y%3D9%26pg%3D36%23Item%5F1151262&id=1151262

Since the scan indicates a book with the big fat ugly label, this means it must have been slabbed within the last few months. Yet the auction listing says this book was graded back in 2011 and also last sold for $200K back in July of 2013. Does this mean the book was simply sent back in for reslabbing as opposed to regrading? ???

Either way, looks like the consignor probably lost a little bit of money on it if they had to pay the seller's commission on the sale. Certainly not as much as the consignor for the CGC 9.4 copy of JIM 83 graded way back in 2004 who probably lost in the neighborhood of $100K after paying $275K for the same book back in February of 2014, if the auction description is correct:

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault%2Easp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D40%26y%3D16%26pg%3D27%23Item%5F1150697&id=1150697

Not sure if I am reading this correctly, but that would be a lot of coin for anybody to be dropping. :tonofbricks::censored::cry:

...yes, when a book is reholdered it retains it's original serial number and notes......just a new label and holder...... many of the very first books slabbed are still technically "old labels" in new slabs. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I had basketball games and missed bidding on the stars and star rangers (beyond my tracking bids). Naturally lost them all. doh!

I guess the prices on these Stars and Star Rangers would have gone even higher then if you had been in on the bidding.

I gave it a shot on the Star 3 & 6 and the Star Rangers 2, but my bids were just a tad short on the last 2 books. Even though these are relatively high grade for early Centaurs, I just could not justify bidding higher given the Slightly Brittle pages. :(

Looks like the Star 3 went for a fair bit, probably due to the supposed rarity of this particular issue. One of the few Centaur books to be designated as Rare by Overstreet, similar I guess to the Black racial humor cover on Funny Picture Stores 7 which is also designated as Rare in the price guide.

Not sure what that book would go for, but it's most certainly another book which you do not tend to see in the marketplace very often, if at all. hm

Dames in fuzzy sweaters? Its a weakness. :cloud9: My only 2 wins.

IMG_2971_zpsuhfcamxf.jpg

That Archie 50 was calling my name, but glad you picked it up. What a spectacular book!

Wow, that's an absolutely astronomical price at $4,600 smackers. Further confirmation that this classic cover book has gone absolutely ballistics during the past few years. :o

Is this a record price for this particular issue, in any grade? Especially since the highest graded copy is only a couple of notches higher at a VF/NM 9.0. hm

Definitely looks a lot nicer than my 6.0 copy with White Pages which I picked up several years ago. Of course, that was graded by PGX which I guess does not really mean that much. :censored: Although I would definitely say that the back cover is a solid 6.0, if not even higher. Of course, nobody cares about the back cover when it comes to this particular classic front cover issue. loldoh!

I guess the only saving grace is that it only cost me about $100 which was still just a shade over the condition guide price at the time. I guess I was lucky since even there was certainly a lot of buzz about the book, but it was still a couple years before Overstreet got around to finally breaking out this particular issue in his price guide. :whee:

Subbies got some hefty last minute/second bumps.

+1

Yes, it looks like the bidders gave all of the Subbie's a lot of loving in this particular auction. :o

Not sure what's going on here or if it's potential movie hype as Subbie's have traditionally not seen this kind of price action. (shrug)

It's also good to see that Subby 13 seems to finally be catching up to Subby 11 in terms of its popularity and demand. I have always thought that issue 13 with its hooded villains and snake bondage cover was a classic in its own right relative to long sought after issue 11. :cloud9:

Seems that even Overstreet has finally gotten around to recognizing issue #13 as a classic cover in its own right by finally breaking this book out in his price guide. (thumbs u

I agree 100%. I think 13 is way better than #11.

I had basketball games and missed bidding on the stars and star rangers (beyond my tracking bids). Naturally lost them all. doh!

I guess the prices on these Stars and Star Rangers would have gone even higher then if you had been in on the bidding.

I gave it a shot on the Star 3 & 6 and the Star Rangers 2, but my bids were just a tad short on the last 2 books. Even though these are relatively high grade for early Centaurs, I just could not justify bidding higher given the Slightly Brittle pages. :(

Looks like the Star 3 went for a fair bit, probably due to the supposed rarity of this particular issue. One of the few Centaur books to be designated as Rare by Overstreet, similar I guess to the Black racial humor cover on Funny Picture Stores 7 which is also designated as Rare in the price guide.

Not sure what that book would go for, but it's most certainly another book which you do not tend to see in the marketplace very often, if at all. hm

my bid that would have been placed was north of 3k on the star 3

IMG_2971_zpsuhfcamxf.jpg

That Archie 50 was calling my name, but glad you picked it up. What a spectacular book!

Wow, that's an absolutely astronomical price at $4,600 smackers. Further confirmation that this classic cover book has gone absolutely ballistics during the past few years. :o

Is this a record price for this particular issue, in any grade? Especially since the highest graded copy is only a couple of notches higher at a VF/NM 9.0. hm

Definitely looks a lot nicer than my 6.0 copy with White Pages which I picked up several years ago. Of course, that was graded by PGX which I guess does not really mean that much. :censored: Although I would definitely say that the back cover is a solid 6.0, if not even higher. Of course, nobody cares about the back cover when it comes to this particular classic front cover issue. loldoh!

I guess the only saving grace is that it only cost me about $100 which was still just a shade over the condition guide price at the time. I guess I was lucky since even there was certainly a lot of buzz about the book, but it was still a couple years before Overstreet got around to finally breaking out this particular issue in his price guide. :whee:

Astronomical? Compared to what? Do you know what the last 8.0 sold for? When it sold? When the last one was graded? You're entitled to your opinion but please have something to substantiate your stance on what FMV on a book/sale you are berating. I happen to think that Archie 50 aside from #1 is the best book in the run. I happen to think it's a much better cover than Phantom Lady 17 which brings 15k+ in the same grade or the poorly drawn Blue Beetle 54 (compare registry census and GPA numbers on all 3 books and justify it). I have no regrets paying 4600. It's a keeper for me. The CGC registry hasn't changed in over 3 yrs. One 9.0 and three in 8.0. GGA covers are strong in the market right now and this one is a must have, just not every one can have a high grade one. I did have to out bid someone else who actually set the tone of the price. I just out bid him by an increment. I've owned one of the other 8.0s and having held both, this one is much nicer as a piece is out of the back on the other. I would have like to have won it for less no doubt, but how else do you get one of these? The underbidder regrets not winning it, what's that tell ya?

IMG_2971_zpsuhfcamxf.jpg

Astronomical? Compared to what? Do you know what the last 8.0 sold for? When it sold? When the last one was graded? You're entitled to your opinion but please have something to substantiate your stance on what FMV on a book/sale you are berating. I happen to think that Archie 50 aside from #1 is the best book in the run. I happen to think it's a much better cover than Phantom Lady 17 which brings 15k+ in the same grade or the poorly drawn Blue Beetle 54 (compare registry census and GPA numbers on all 3 books and justify it). I have no regrets paying 4600. It's a keeper for me. The CGC registry hasn't changed in over 3 yrs. One 9.0 and three in 8.0. GGA covers are strong in the market right now and this one is a must have, just not every one can have a high grade one. I did have to out bid someone else who actually set the tone of the price. I just out bid him by an increment. I've owned one of the other 8.0s and having held both, this one is much nicer as a piece is out of the back on the other. I would have like to have won it for less no doubt, but how else do you get one of these? The underbidder regrets not winning it, what's that tell ya?

Today's "crazy price" is tomorrows bargain, especially with more an more people migrating to keys and classic covers only increasing, I can't see the price going down any time soon and would expect it to keep going up. I think you did well !

Well the Hits were certainly a hit, I thought the prices were pretty strong, but not crazy.

Probably strong relative to what they have been selling for in the recent past. But definitely not crazy though, as all of them except for Hit 5, went for only around guide or even under guide in the case of the later Hit's. (shrug)

Hit 5. :hi:

IMHO in this new era of classic cover demand, the price was high-ish but not crazy. I felt the price could've gone higher still, and was very pleased with the outcome.

hit_comics_5_zpslrqboshi.jpg

IMG_2971_zpsuhfcamxf.jpg

Hey JD;

I apologize if you thought I was trying to berate you on your purchase because that was certainly not my intention at all. :foryou:

I was only trying to imply that your purchase simply provided further confirmation that Archie 50 is one of the hottest GGA books out there right now and has been on a parabolic price trajectory course during the past few years. As Mitch has told us repeatedly on the boards here, if you want to obtain a book such as this before it's too late and especially in this type of condition, you are going to just have to MANNUP and that's exactly what you did here. Looking forward, you will definitely not regret making this purchase here. :applause:

If anything, I thought my post was more laughing at myself for buying only a PGX copy which means it could very well likely be overgraded, have hidden restoration, or possibly even be incomplete. doh! Unlike you, I was not willing to MANNUP at the time and instead, decided to take a flyer by throwing $100 down on the table and just hoping for the best in the end. :wishluck:

Since you got your Archie 50 now and like most of us here, can't really afford an Archie 1, you should probably set your sights on something like an Archie 46 instead. Similar to the Archie 50 a few years ago, I strongly believe this particular issue will one day be broken out and recognized as a classic GGA cover in its own right. :gossip: Of course I might just be a little biased here since I picked up my copy about a year after my purchase of the Archie 50 for the then near astronomical amount of $400 smackers. A lot more than my risky $100 bet on the Archie 50, but then I figured it was safer since the Archie 46 was a CGC 8.5 graded copy. Not sure if either one of these purchases will work out for me in the end, but certainly nice to own both of these books in the interim. :cloud9:

BTW: Congrats on your purchase of what is a definite keeper of a book. (thumbs u