• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show us your TOP CENSUS copies

447 posts in this topic

This is the thread to show off in, and post your slabbed books that currently have the highest grade in the census. If you'd like, tell us about how you acquired the world's finest known copy. All genres welcome!

To start off, here is the toughest Bronze Age Spidey to find in top shape owing to the black cover, and this copy is tied with 5 others currently. I have an OO copy of this book that is fairly nice, but when looking at back issue bins in my LCS in the days before CGC, I came across a run of about 15 pristine ASMs that the shop had just purchased. I think I paid 50% over Overstreet NM guide for this one:

asm104.jpg

And they're sweet, FD. thumbsup2.gif Any good stories to share about how you came to acquire any of the "best known copy in the world", or any ish that you treasured above all others?

I bought a lot of them from Keith Contarino about 8 years ago, stuck them in the back of the pile and forgot about them until I got them slabbed. The 169 I bought raw 20 years ago.

This book is unique in that it's both the TOP census, and BOTTOM census copy - yes, it's the only one that's been slabbed to date. I don't recall exactly where I got it, but I do know that for the longest time it was just going to be a hole-filler until a nicer copy came along since one of the staples is detached. Years later and I'm still looking...anyone have a NM copy for sale/trade!?!? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

BTW - it's a slabbed 9.2Q and illustrates beautifully the benefit of the Q grading schema which I'm a big proponent of!

tom116_92.jpg

This is the thread to show off in, and post your slabbed books that currently have the highest grade in the census. If you'd like, tell us about how you acquired the world's finest known copy. All genres welcome!

I have several Modern top copies, but this is the oldest I have. Bought it from 'spectre52' last year.

710766-MarvelPremiere2cgc98_%24190_2281750091.jpg