• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So... Anyone going to talk about Black #3?

64 posts in this topic

I'm not American and I don't see myself as right-leaning, but this kind of thing is why politics and discussion in general is screwed today. I don't see anything productive coming from such obvious baity content. It's why things usually always devolve into name-calling etc online. Maybe it is just online that we've got such polar opposites and that's why this happens, but I find it easier to slip into blissful ignorance than engage with this stuff.

The trick is to never have a dissenting opinion from anyone on anything. And watch out if the "thing" in question is racially charged. You're then one comment away from being ignorant, part of a "white out", racist... who knows what else?

I mean, clearly, the artist that decided to swap in a certain word on that variant cover is only concerned with fighting the good fight... somehow. That really raised awareness... I guess. My entire worldview is changed... is something no one is likely to say after seeing that variant.

The cover is clearly a little history on the labelling of Blacks in America. Every single statistic in existence shows that the relationship between America and the Black community is one of systemic racism. Levels of poverty, being pulled over while driving, being shot while unarmed, etc. This cover is a dissenting opinion because it is calling out hegemony. In one cover the entire history of African American oppression in Amerika is laid out. The fact that is making some people uncomfortable suggests it is working. That is what happens when hegemony is challenged.

:golfclap: great post.

I'm not American and I don't see myself as right-leaning, but this kind of thing is why politics and discussion in general is screwed today. I don't see anything productive coming from such obvious baity content. It's why things usually always devolve into name-calling etc online. Maybe it is just online that we've got such polar opposites and that's why this happens, but I find it easier to slip into blissful ignorance than engage with this stuff.

The trick is to never have a dissenting opinion from anyone on anything. And watch out if the "thing" in question is racially charged. You're then one comment away from being ignorant, part of a "white out", racist... who knows what else?

I mean, clearly, the artist that decided to swap in a certain word on that variant cover is only concerned with fighting the good fight... somehow. That really raised awareness... I guess. My entire worldview is changed... is something no one is likely to say after seeing that variant.

The cover is clearly a little history on the labelling of Blacks in America. Every single statistic in existence shows that the relationship between America and the Black community is one of systemic racism. Levels of poverty, being pulled over while driving, being shot while unarmed, etc. This cover is a dissenting opinion because it is calling out hegemony. In one cover the entire history of African American oppression in Amerika is laid out. The fact that is making some people uncomfortable suggests it is working. That is what happens when hegemony is challenged.

:golfclap: great post.

Thank you

So at my LCS today I saw the cover for Black #3, and they had an alternate cover that is "uncensored". The comic itself has a reputation for touching the topics no one else will, but even for that book, I was kind of shocked.

At the end of the day, it is Art, it is controversial, and it is certainly going to start a whole new conversation.

Pat. :cloud9:

So at my LCS today I saw the cover for Black #3, and they had an alternate cover that is "uncensored". The comic itself has a reputation for touching the topics no one else will, but even for that book, I was kind of shocked.

At the end of the day, it is Art, it is controversial, and it is certainly going to start a whole new conversation.

Pat. :cloud9:

My dude!