• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel October 1999 ~ February 2000 US Newsstand Price Variants
8 8

381 posts in this topic

But see now I'm annoyed because I'm going to have to start looking for stupid newsstand variants of books no one ever wanted :facepalm:. I'm also 100% positive that all Marvels would have had variants across the board.

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

But see now I'm annoyed because I'm going to have to start looking for stupid newsstand variants of books no one ever wanted :facepalm:. I'm also 100% positive that all Marvels would have had variants across the board.

How be thee 100% positee?

34 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Why not to try to email someone at Marvel like someone did years ago with 35 cent variants. Maybe someone there could shed some light on it.
I will keep my eyes peeled for some.

I did. They did nay reply. 

42 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

How be thee 100% positee?

If our assumption is that this was a test market, they would have to do it across the board for all titles to get the correct kind of data. There's no way, for example, they wouldn't have done it with X-Men if it was done with Cable.

11 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

If our assumption is that this was a test market, they would have to do it across the board for all titles to get the correct kind of data. There's no way, for example, they wouldn't have done it with X-Men if it was done with Cable.

But, as we discussed a few posts back, it seems unlikely that standard newsstands were produced for all titles given how low the print runs of some of them were. These variants are variants of the newsstand copies, not direct. So no $1.99 newsstand edition surely means no $2.29 / $2.49 price variants.

If you are right though, and newsstands exist for all titles, then we're buggered as you can't find $1.99 copies on eBay for most of them, nevermind variants. 

What sayeth thou? 

( @RockMyAmadeus, come on, dive in man. Dive in! )

Though out the 2000's and up to the last year that Marvel distributed comics through out newsstands, Barnes & Noble, etc., they usually had a higher price tag for their better selling titles. Like X-men, Uncanny X-men, Spidey &  Wolverine. While  titles like Thor, Avengers and others were usually priced the same as direct editions.

In fact CGC only recognizes Modern newsies that have a different price tag than direct editions.

I am going to go out on a limb here and state that I emphatically believe that these are in fact price variants and that they are in fact books that were test marketed to see price points. I am basing this on the following:

1) There's a five month time period, just like the 30 and 35 cent variant time period.
2) The "newsstand" piece doesn't seem to matter - there are "newsstand" $1.99s. If all newsstand were higher priced - as in other times - there would not be the $1.99s.
3) The indicia - this is the true giveaway - on the $2.29 and $2.49 books both state $1.99. That matches exactly with the 1976 and 1977 books, both of which only had cover change and not to the indicia.
4) These are then - by any definition - "Type 1 Variants" from Jon McClure's list. Please note that I think McClure is nearly 100% full of mess on most of his things, but this definition, "Type 1 Variants: Cover Price Test Market Variants with regional or otherwise limited distribution, published simultaneously with standard or “regular” editions. Such variants exist because publishers want to test the market prior to raising prices. The indicia and all other aspects of the book, except for the cover price, are identical to regular editions. Examples include Marvel 30 and 35¢ variants, and Archie 15¢ variants" seems to be pretty accurate.

Unfortunately we have no idea where the test marketing was done, so it is going to be damnably hard to find these things. If the above is correct and my theory is proven, all Marvels that had newsstand distribution at the time - this was not(?) all titles I think - will have $2.29 and $2.49 cover priced books.

@RockMyAmadeus I'd love for you to chime in here.

2 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Where's the Rock man when you need him. (shrug)

Sulking like a big fat gerl :baiting:

Keep going boys, this is your thread now. I've got an appointment with  Bobby Charlton :headbang:

Sooooo, like, I love hunting the ASM newsstands - I have oodles and oodles I've amassed over the years ... I'm still 50 short or so between 500-700, and am up for trades/buys if anything cares to help one another!!

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Hulk 8 $2.49, previously unseen.

42173915128.8.2.49.COVER.GIF

57 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Hulk 9 $2.49, also previously unseen

42173915128.9.NEWSSTAND.GIF

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Hulk 8 $2.49, previously unseen.

57 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Hulk 9 $2.49, also previously unseen

Sooper!  Well done FD. Wonder how I missed them on Chucks site hm 

Chart update to follow......

@Mean_Green @FlyingDonut

22 confirmed issues now with the extra two Hulks:

02_01_18.thumb.PNG.5c1112f9d102394ccbb96acd9c4cf7c3.PNG

In fact Hulk #8 and 9 are looking quite good:

Capture.thumb.PNG.f2910a4d4ac8acab327f391152341caa.PNG

(Hulk likes that Hulk 8 & 9 look good. Hulk looks good. But if Hulk 7,10 &11 variants are not found soon, and no one takes up the challenge to locate them for Hulk, then Hulk will smash! Hulk.gif.4c1c5c1c7f683f5f9cf8bc5d4f783ffc.gif)

Mean Green - dive in and find us more. We need a FF #22 or ASM #14 to prove the 5 month theory. Or any other title not on the current list! :headbang:

2 minutes ago, divad said:

Now you just need to find some buyers . . . :grin:

Tis a fair monetary point divad. Me, I revel in the fact that there are a handful of glorious lunatics who catalogue that which the majority shun. Just wait until you see my next thread.....:D