• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-American comics no.16 the Green lantern

299 posts in this topic

That sounds good, nice to know the rough estimated value, I still have plans of grading and holding on to it, I'd like to think long term this will just go up in value. Note each page has a hole at the bottom of each page, all pages are there as far as I know.

Or you can sell the book graded at auction and use the funds to buy another key book that may be better to hold on to long term. Not that I am saying that AA 16 is not one of them, but I'd put heroes in the GA like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to have better long term value because of their worldwide popularity.

Or you can sell the book graded at auction and use the funds to buy another key book that may be better to hold on to long term. Not that I am saying that AA 16 is not one of them, but I'd put heroes in the GA like Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman to have better long term value because of their worldwide popularity.

I believe he's stated that this book was passed down from his grandfather, to his father, then him. I respect his decision to keep the book and the book maybe be a family heirloom of sorts

I believe he's stated that this book was passed down from his grandfather, to his father, then him. I respect his decision to keep the book and the book maybe be a family heirloom of sorts

And if that's the case than he should keep it. But it also seems that there might be a chance he will sell it later on.

Theres a very slim chance of me selling this book. Plan is to keep it long term

I would not sell it to me it is a MEGA KEY (and very rare in non restored condition....even in restored condition it is a rare book) book with still lots of potential and plus I love the book!! It's a keeper for sure!! There is nobody that would not love to have it in their collection.

But I would have it graded by CGC (and if there was rust on either staple I would have it removed before been encased in a CGC holder. Just in case you do not know rust can eventually migrate to the paper and that could cause significant damage hence why I would remove them both if rusted. Have CGC do it if possible).

In the end I would much rather own this book within a CGC holder with a detached cover than a attached cover with rust on either staple.

Edited by SupergirlDC1959

Thanks, not sure if there's rust in any staples, I'll keep that in mine, thanks!

You should it is in my opinion critical to the long term safety of the book.

If there is any rust in the staples I'd much rather have CGC remove them, as I have zero knowledge when it comes to careing for comics, I just learn from what I read and what I am told, such as from people like you which I appreciate!

Supergirl - while it is true rust can migrate some, I've never heard of anyone actually advocating their removal. Do you have a link to a discussion on that or recommendation by anyone? I thought removing them and having new staples put in would make the book restored, and I've never heard anyone advocate simply having loose pages with no staple before. How much of a grade hit is that?

Supergirl - while it is true rust can migrate some, I've never heard of anyone actually advocating their removal. Do you have a link to a discussion on that or recommendation by anyone? I thought removing them and having new staples put in would make the book restored, and I've never heard anyone advocate simply having loose pages with no staple before. How much of a grade hit is that?

I think you can have staples replaced (using vintage staples) and retain a blue label. I'm not sure of the exact criteria or age ranges (if any). On a book like this, I think it would be allowed. It would be a question for Matt or Paul.

I know of a Superman #1 where they left the extremely rusty staples in and got it slabbed. The book was otherwise a 9.0.

I think you can have staples replaced (using vintage staples) and retain a blue label. I'm not sure of the exact criteria or age ranges (if any). On a book like this, I think it would be allowed. It would be a question for Matt or Paul.

It appears I was mistaken. Here's a thread from the ASK CGC subforum:

Cleaned/Replaced Staples = Qualified Label

There you go. So I can't imagine its a good idea to replace if you're interested in preserving the value of the book. And for all the talk of rust migration, all I've ever really seen happen is some staining. Has anyone else seen anything else happen from rusty staples? Is anyone aware of how much of a grade hit it would be to have no staples at all?

All I can tell you guys is I'm not messing with anything with this book besides putting it in the proper bag and board when I get it from a fellow member of this forum, and packaging to CGC specifications, and getting whatever insurance I need e.t.c.