• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-American comics no.16 the Green lantern

299 posts in this topic

Well that doesn't sound good! I'm gonna wait till after the holidays to ship it out, probable insure it for at least 5K just in case maybe more?

You won't be able to recover $5k (or any dollar amount for that matter) unless you have a receipt and/or certified appraisal. If the book were lost/damaged during shipment postal inspectors would ask for either of the above documents before cutting you a check. If you had neither, they'd deny your insurance claim.

Depending upon your location in The States you have a couple of options...

*Fly/drive the book down to CGC in Florida and as others have stated go through a walk-through/same day tier.

*Wait for CGC to come to a comic book convention near you where they offer what's called "on site" grading; that is where they will certify and grade the book that day of the show and you'll get it right back.

*Find a trustworthy dealer near you who's also a CGC member, has shipping insurance and can write you a certified appraisal and send the book off through them fully insured against loss or damage.

------------------

My personal advice: Given the high value of this book unless I was ready to sell I'd just buy some Mylar and Backing Boards and leave the comic as is. Then when I was ready to sell I'd have the auction house/dealer certify the comic for me through CGC. Given the dollar amount of this book the auction house would undoubtedly waive any slabbing fees associated with the cost of certifying it.

100% on the bolded part.

The best thing you can do is take a hostage photo (get a newspaper clearly showing the date) in one hand, while carefully holding the book in the other. Take photos of the front and back covers to help demonstrate characteristics to be used as undisputable proof of what you own and in what condition it was in. These photos will be important to establish what you had before you shipped it out. Take good clear photos. Put them on a usb card or stick, or back them up on your computer.

I can provide a certified appraisal for replacement cost coverage useful if you plan to insure the item prior to shipping, but the above suggestions are very important because I've had experience with the grading company being touted as the "best" here for not wanting to take any responsibility when my comic got damaged in their possession.

Great book, and I wouldn't make any rash decisions based on crowd sourcing for feedback, including my own opinion here. I'm just speaking from personal experience, as a collector for over 30 years, and as someone who would hate to see you not having the right evidence and back up should you need to go down the road of trying to recuperate replacement value in the unlikely event of a loss.

I hope you got golden age size bags and dont try inserting book into silver age bags or something

:facepalm:

I've seen it happen. It wasn't pretty.

I hope you got golden age size bags and dont try inserting book into silver age bags or something
I was thinking the same thing.

++++1

For god's sake don't try fit it in a modern bag!!! :o

I'm reading this 1,000s of miles away thinking how would my non-comic Dad handle all this (he's 80) - truth is he wouldn't at all - and the risk of accidental damage to the comic is huge

Can't one of you decent boardies who live nearby help this chap directly? Take him the appropriate bag, board etc

Then talk to one of the auction houses on his behalf - who to be honest, should offer to go out and collect the book directly, host this nice gentleman etc etc make a great story and eventual sales event

I would hate the book to be lost in the post, even if insured, or damaged

Have "we" ever had another OO AA no.16 surface?

How will it not fit? To tight, or to big, I'd like to think it will be better than the plastic bag it's been in for over 30 years! In less what I bought can cause more damage
AA16 is a big bed sheet golden age comic. Comics from the 30s - 70s were printed in different sizes --your comic is wider than silver age books, and needs a Super Gold bag and boards to fit. Sounds like you ordered bags for comics from the 1970s- modern, and you will see those bags and boards will be too small. Also, don't order poly bags. I'd recommend Bill Cole Super Gold bags with Super Gold boards.