• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Speculation

141 posts in this topic

Just thought I would piggy back off of the Bronze Discussion I saw

Scenario: You have $300 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Modern keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $300 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

Thanks for then input and help it may provide any member

Blue chip:

Ultimate Fallout #4 = $200 in 9.8 - 1st Miles Morales, no brainer

Monstress #1 1st print = $100 in 9.8 - low print run book that would work in other mediums. Popular for the story itself.

Agressive:

East of West #1 = $40 in 9.8 - The story is unlike anything else on the shelf. While the comic is one of Image's best ever, it might transfer well to a Game of Thrones/ Westworld HBO type series

Southern Bastards #1 = $100 in 9.8 - while the book is a little over the top, it feels absolutely genuine. The real deal dirty South. Biggest twist in comics, other than Jupiter's Legacy #3, in years.

Enormous #1A = $100 in 9.8 (betting on Tim's cryptic messages on the boards) - Art, story, and big monsters with something related to China. This could still be a big deal.

Young Avengers #1 = $60 - 1st Kate Bishop. She seems to be getting a major league push in the Marvel U. Does that transfer to people collecting her books ? Who knows ?

The one I'll probably regret not including:

Vengeance #1 regular cover = $100. This seems to be the highest risk/highest reward book in the bunch. A Dell'Otto cover with a pretty significant 1st appearance of America Chavez. This really seems like a match made in heaven. The character has star written all over her both literally and figuratively.

I'm sure I've left out a bunch of stuff that will make me go doh!

This is what hit me me off the top of my head.

Blue chip:

Ultimate Fallout #4 = $200 in 9.8 - 1st Miles Morales, no brainer

Monstress #1 1st print = $100 in 9.8 - low print run book that would work in other mediums. Popular for the story itself.

Agressive:

East of West #1 = $40 in 9.8 - The story is unlike anything else on the shelf. While the comic is one of Image's best ever, it might transfer well to a Game of Thrones/ Westworld HBO type series

Southern Bastards #1 = $100 in 9.8 - while the book is a little over the top, it feels absolutely genuine. The real deal dirty South. Biggest twist in comics, other than Jupiter's Legacy #3, in years.

Enormous #1A = $100 in 9.8 (betting on Tim's cryptic messages on the boards) - Art, story, and big monsters with something related to China. This could still be a big deal.

Young Avengers #1 = $60 - 1st Kate Bishop. She seems to be getting a major league push in the Marvel U. Does that transfer to people collecting her books ? Who knows ?

The one I'll probably regret not including:

Vengeance #1 regular cover = $100. This seems to be the highest risk/highest reward book in the bunch. A Dell'Otto cover with a pretty significant 1st appearance of America Chavez. This really seems like a match made in heaven. The character has star written all over her both literally and figuratively.

I'm sure I've left out a bunch of stuff that will make me go doh!

This is what hit me me off the top of my head.

Vengeance #1 sat in junk bins for a while making 9.8's a tough find plus they weren't hoarded so that's probably the best pick so far (only 16 9.8 blues / 4 9.8 SS)

Just curious, I thought the first issue sold 30,000 copies? Or does that number include reprints, too? Mind, it's a very good story. Particularly so for me since I'm crossing over from manga.

Monstress #1 would be my pick, too, mostly because it's the only book with investment potential that I'm interested in owning. It's something I'd happily keep forever in case the speculation doesn't pan out. :)

Just curious, I thought the first issue sold 30,000 copies? Or does that number include reprints, too? Mind, it's a very good story. Particularly so for me since I'm crossing over from manga.

Monstress #1 would be my pick, too, mostly because it's the only book with investment potential that I'm interested in owning. It's something I'd happily keep forever in case the speculation doesn't pan out. :)

When I mentioned a low print run, it was relative to a Marvel or DC. Even when compared to books like Saga or East of West, the number is small. Now compared to say The Walking Dead ? Well, that would be a Monstress of a difference. lol

There's a lot of upside potential in X-23 appearances over the next 5 years, imho. Of course a lot depends on how the Logan movie does... (shrug)

You'll have a hard time finding a Nyx 3 for $300, but there are a lot of variants and early appearances that are worth a look within your budget, including:

* Nyx #4 (first cover app.?)

* X-23 #1 (2005) - both covers

* X-23 Target X #1

* Avengers Arena #14A

Total Comic Mayhem has a nice overview of the character's appearances.

There's a lot of upside potential in X-23 appearances over the next 5 years, imho. Of course a lot depends on how the Logan movie does... (shrug)

You'll have a hard time finding a Nyx 3 for $300, but there are a lot of variants and early appearances that are worth a look within your budget, including:

* X-23 Target X #1

* Avengers Arena #14A

NYX3 is her 1st cover appearance. NYX 4 is hyped because the claws are out.

* X-23 Target X #1

* Avengers Arena #14A

Total Mayhem is a good site, but their use of the term "key" is very loose. I wouldn't consider most of those keys.

How about All-New Wolverine #1 LCSD? 9.8 is selling right around $300.

* X-23 Target X #1

* Avengers Arena #14A

Please stop it with the Avengers Arena #14. Nobody is paying more than $5-$10 for it despite the failed attempt to pump it on a certain bs site

Women Of Marvel One-shot is one worth looking for

Long term moderns? hit or miss.

Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel (2008) #1

Nova (2013 5th Series) #1F 1:150---SAM + Point One

Captain Marvel (2012 7th Series) #17C--------KAMALA + Point One

Ultimate Fallout #4------Ultimate Fallout (2011 Marvel) #4B-----------Miles

Vengeance #1 -----America

Just thought I would piggy back off of the Bronze Discussion I saw

Scenario: You have $300 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Modern keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $300 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

Thanks for then input and help it may provide any member

For short term easy profits I look for Marvel and DC modern keys,as they have the two biggest marketing machines behind them in Disney and Warner. They get eyeballs to look at their stuff in the millions. That`s very hard to beat. Walking Dead`s super success so far is anomaly for Indys.

For long-term look into the new Valiant`s. There is a lot of gold there. Get them keys now before mainstream discovers them in the movies,animated show and video-games.

I don't consider them Keys, and I didn't use that term. I consider them "modern spec". :P

Lonzilla, if you have hi grade Avengers Arena 14's to sell for 10$ I'm happy to take them off your hands. I was not trying to pump anything. I don't even own a copy. I just think it's a cool homage cover.

Ha! I've never read the series, and I just looked closely and realized it was indeed X23 on the Nyx 3 cover. It always just looked like an ink smudge to me. I much prefer the #4 cover.

Here are a few for thoughts

No brainers

NYX 3 - for a few more months.

Saga 1

Runaways 1

Hulk 92 - Long term this one is a classic, but short term will grow.

Y the Last Man 1 Long Term

Some undervalued or at least I think so.

ASM 4 variant/regular - because its still cheap

Darth Vader 3 - Until she shows up in film then she goes to top list

Zombie Tramp 1 V3 - I picked V3 just because V2 value has already exploded

I can never hold a copy very long

Some longer shots or very very undervalued

Slapstick 1

NTT 26

Alpha Flight 51

NTT 32

Planetary 1

No brainers

Curious though, is that something you would hold for long term investment (5 years) per OP? There's a lot of movie buzz right now but it feels to me like values tend to drop once the excitement for the movie wanes.

Zombie Tramp 1 V3 - I picked V3 just because V2 value has already exploded

I can never hold a copy very long

I am impressed with how well Zombie Tramp 1 V3 is doing. I thought I was finally out of the regular and phantom covers but found a couple of copies of each in a long box this week.

Are there TV rumors for the property, or is it being driven by actual collector demand?

No brainers

Curious though, is that something you would hold for long term investment (5 years) per OP? There's a lot of movie buzz right now but it feels to me like values tend to drop once the excitement for the movie wanes.

Depends what happens with the movie. Currently I wouldn't hold this book long term at all. That just me I don't see her as a long term hold in this market.