• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Speculation

141 posts in this topic

Here are my four picks. I also noted the print run and the current CGC census for 9.8 copies.

Scalped #1. There have been rumors that this will become a TV series one day. Personally I don’t take rumors serious until they are actually filming the series. IMO this is one of the top 3 comic series that I have ever read and would make an incredible TV series if it was done correctly. The great thing about this comic is you can still pick it up for under $300. If it actually becomes a TV series I can easily see it going up to $500.

The print run is only 13,644 copies and there are currently 60 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Y: the last man #1. There have been rumors that this will become a TV series one day. This series has received great reviews.

The print run is only 15,287 copies and there are currently 231 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Invincible #1. A lot of people consider this to be the best current super hero comic. If Kirkman decided to make this a TV show the price would most likely take off.

The print run is only 10,751 copies and there are currently 190 copies that received a CGC 9.8

Walking Dead #80. This is my long shot pick. CGC 9.8 Walking Dead collectors know how tough this issue is to find. As of today it’s the second hardest issue to find (for issues #1 -#100) in CGC 9.8. You can pick this comic up for $100 - $125. If it continues to remain scarce the price should go up.

The print run is 29,526 and there are currently 32 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Invincible #1 is a real key imo. This is a forever hold book if you only have one copy. The pinnacle of modern superhero storytelling and it was an original character. It doesn't get much better that this. (thumbs u

Agree, wholeheartedly! I'm still torn about Invincible ending. But, I'd hate to see it fall into the wrong hands.

Scalped was optioned in April of 2014.

Y the Last Man was optioned in October of 2015, after the movie option didn't pan out.

Whether or not either of these actually see TV is yet to be seen. I have a feeling both are on the "optioned" pile until their rights are up.

That doesn't mean that both are not good reads. Unfortunate that the option tag has to drive the price.

Invincible is a great pick.

Walking Dead #80. Interesting pick and had not heard about it. Wouldn't you say that the number on the census is simply a result of submission? There isn't anything special about that issue that would drive submissions outside of 9.8 run collectors.

80 has 32 9.8 out of 63 total submissions. 51% return rate at 9.8.

Just looking at some other issues around that time:

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Unless WD books fall into my lap for nothing I pass on them now. Too many hands in that pot now. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I know people buying 50 copies of an issue that's when I leave.

I love Invincible and I hope the book falls in prices so I can snag it up. I used to make a killing on issues 7-12 years back.

I think American Vampire would also be a book that might be something long term to look at.

WD keys are win/wins for me. Short term instantly no but if you can hold them a few years and have patience the keys pay off dividends IMO.

I agree with you I see Walking Dead as blue chips like Amazing Spider-Man 1 to 122 and Uncanny X-Men 94 to 143. There always will be a market for them.

The one consistent thing I see on this board year after year is collectors predicting Walking Dead comics will go way down in value. I heard this when Walking Dead #1 was selling for $500, $1,000, $1,500, $2,000, $2,500, and now $3,000. I have 7 LCS that are close to either my house or work and not one store has any Walking Dead inventory before issue #100. I discussed this with all the owners/managers and they said whenever they receive back issues they sell them immediately.

I have been trying to complete a CGC 9.8 Walking Dead set and I know how hard it is to find some of the issues. The demand for these comics keeps going up so I pretty much dismiss collector’s opinions about the demise of this title. Yes I'm sure eventually when the series is cancelled the price will drop some but because of the low print run (less than 7,400 copies) it should maintain most of its value.

Also keep in mind that Kirkman stated that he has 12 seasons of story written for the TV show and if Fear the Walking Dead continues to get decent ratings that show could also last a long time. Plus once the TV show ends I’m sure there will be a Walking Dead movie. If the movie does well, which it should, you will probably see a couple more movies being produced.

Bottom Line: The Walking Dead series should be on TV or at the movies for a long time. I would be very surprised if this TV series ended before 2022. IMO there is still ample years for this comic series to continue to go up in value.

Y the Last Man was optioned in October of 2015, after the movie option didn't pan out.

Whether or not either of these actually see TV is yet to be seen. I have a feeling both are on the "optioned" pile until their rights are up.

That doesn't mean that both are not good reads. Unfortunate that the option tag has to drive the price.

Walking Dead #80. Interesting pick and had not heard about it. Wouldn't you say that the number on the census is simply a result of submission? There isn't anything special about that issue that would drive submissions outside of 9.8 run collectors.

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Unless WD books fall into my lap for nothing I pass on them now. Too many hands in that pot now. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I know people buying 50 copies of an issue that's when I leave.

I love Invincible and I hope the book falls in prices so I can snag it up. I used to make a killing on issues 7-12 years back.

I think American Vampire would also be a book that might be something long term to look at.

WD keys are win/wins for me. Short term instantly no but if you can hold them a few years and have patience the keys pay off dividends IMO.

I agree with you I see Walking Dead as blue chips like Amazing Spider-Man 1 to 122 and Uncanny X-Men 94 to 143. There always will be a market for them.

The one consistent thing I see on this board year after year is collectors predicting Walking Dead comics will go way down in value. I heard this when Walking Dead #1 was selling for $500, $1,000, $1,500, $2,000, $2,500, and now $3,000. I have 7 LCS that are close to either my house or work and not one store has any Walking Dead inventory before issue #100. I discussed this with all the owners/managers and they said whenever they receive back issues they sell them immediately.

I have been trying to complete a CGC 9.8 Walking Dead set and I know how hard it is to find some of the issues. The demand for these comics keeps going up so I pretty much dismiss collector’s opinions about the demise of this title. Yes I'm sure eventually when the series is cancelled the price will drop some but because of the low print run (less than 7,400 copies) it should maintain most of its value.

Also keep in mind that Kirkman stated that he has 12 seasons of story written for the TV show and if Fear the Walking Dead continues to get decent ratings that show could also last a long time. Plus once the TV show ends I’m sure there will be a Walking Dead movie. If the movie does well, which it should, you will probably see a couple more movies being produced.

Bottom Line: The Walking Dead series should be on TV or at the movies for a long time. I would be very surprised if this TV series ended before 2022. IMO there is still ample years for this comic series to continue to go up in value.

Has Daryl ever been in the Walking Dead comics? I am sure that would be a huge modern speculation comic book.

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Has Daryl ever been in the Walking Dead comics? I am sure that would be a huge modern speculation comic book.

Dwight is probably the closest thing to Daryl imo.

Only other book I would throw out that hasn't been mentioned would be Chew #1.

:grin:

It was? Not seeing it.

31899757.jpg

But seriously, I dont know, I wouldnt invest in it at this point, but who the heck knows anymore

Hey how about a few more here

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9163194&fpart=1

I agree I used to argue with Branget about this book. You either love it or hate it. I thought it was dumb as hell, but to each their own I have learned in my old age.

I cant argue with Sales with over time it does have an audience.

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Let me be a little more specific. The strong keys aren't going anywhere like WD1. They are going to continue to see appreciation especially in high grade. The 1st app keys of some characters I think are not going to continue to appreciate as much.

I am not coming down on the series as a whole I am just saying that gone are the days of large appreciation for books under 120 other then WD1 and such.

Nor am I predicting the demise of WD as a whole. Sales are still very strong on current issues. Its a top 10 book now which is amazing.

My local shop has every key issue for sale currently including a WD1 9.0 CGC. (Like a good 20 issues of keys) They still sitting there and have been now for months. A year or two ago if they even got them in they sold with a few days. Now they sit. If that's not a sign I don't know what is.

I agree I used to argue with Branget about this book. You either love it or hate it. I thought it was dumb as hell, but to each their own I have learned in my old age.

Does Branget still post? I haven`t been in the modern forum section in awhile. I remember debating Morning Glories with him. lol.

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Let me be a little more specific. The strong keys aren't going anywhere like WD1. They are going to continue to see appreciation especially in high grade. The 1st app keys of some characters I think are not going to continue to appreciate as much.

I am not coming down on the series as a whole I am just saying that gone are the days of large appreciation for books under 120 other then WD1 and such.

Nor am I predicting the demise of WD as a whole. Sales are still very strong on current issues. Its a top 10 book now which is amazing.

My local shop has every key issue for sale currently including a WD1 9.0 CGC. (Like a good 20 issues of keys) They still sitting there and have been now for months. A year or two ago if they even got them in they sold with a few days. Now they sit. If that's not a sign I don't know what is.

They probably are still sitting there because of the jacked up prices. I learned a long time ago if I can get the same book for half of what the price tag is on similar copy in a lcs I'm picking the cheaper option every dang time. I know brick & mortar have costs to add but most high grade books raw and graded I've seen are 200% or higher markups above ebay prices on them. Pass.

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

I remember Star Wars being dead, and I mean dead in the early 1990`s. So you never know as these pop culture icons go in cycles.

Look at Pokemon as well. Dead about 10 years, now hotter than ever. I could see Walking Dead following the same path as Star Wars and Pokemon.

Does Branget still post? I haven`t been in the modern forum section in awhile. I remember debating Morning Glories with him. lol.

I think he is N/A now (name change)

I think he is N/A now (name change)

Thanks.