• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Speculation

141 posts in this topic

Long term moderns? hit or miss.

Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel (2008) #1

Nova (2013 5th Series) #1F 1:150---SAM + Point One

Captain Marvel (2012 7th Series) #17C--------KAMALA + Point One

Ultimate Fallout #4------Ultimate Fallout (2011 Marvel) #4B-----------Miles

Vengeance #1 -----America

Like the call on Adam #1. I missed the boat on these but the character is really growing on me. Lots of potential with him imo.

Like the call on Adam #1. I missed the boat on these but the character is really growing on me. Lots of potential with him imo.

What is a blue marvel? Is it like a red hulk? lol:baiting:

that Darth Vader #3 is already hitting over $200 for the 1:25 variant.

I've been sitting on 2 1:25s, are these a hold for now or dump into the new series hype?

I'm still buying the regular covers because to me, this is a long term play. The variants are a little outside my comfort zone but I can see that there is value in them and if you like variants, this seems like a safe bet too.

Scalped was optioned in April of 2014.

Y the Last Man was optioned in October of 2015, after the movie option didn't pan out.

Whether or not either of these actually see TV is yet to be seen. I have a feeling both are on the "optioned" pile until their rights are up.

That doesn't mean that both are not good reads. Unfortunate that the option tag has to drive the price.

Invincible is a great pick.

Walking Dead #80. Interesting pick and had not heard about it. Wouldn't you say that the number on the census is simply a result of submission? There isn't anything special about that issue that would drive submissions outside of 9.8 run collectors.

80 has 32 9.8 out of 63 total submissions. 51% return rate at 9.8.

Just looking at some other issues around that time:

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Unless WD books fall into my lap for nothing I pass on them now. Too many hands in that pot now. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I know people buying 50 copies of an issue that's when I leave.

I love Invincible and I hope the book falls in prices so I can snag it up. I used to make a killing on issues 7-12 years back.

I think American Vampire would also be a book that might be something long term to look at.

WD keys are win/wins for me. Short term instantly no but if you can hold them a few years and have patience the keys pay off dividends IMO.

1. EOSV2

2. UF4 (1st print, not variant)

3. Static 1

The first two are high are my list for good longterm bets. I like Static a little but don't love the book. I guess in people get nostalgic for it, it might blow up. I held on to a few just in case.... :)

Here are my four picks. I also noted the print run and the current CGC census for 9.8 copies.

Scalped #1. There have been rumors that this will become a TV series one day. Personally I don’t take rumors serious until they are actually filming the series. IMO this is one of the top 3 comic series that I have ever read and would make an incredible TV series if it was done correctly. The great thing about this comic is you can still pick it up for under $300. If it actually becomes a TV series I can easily see it going up to $500.

The print run is only 13,644 copies and there are currently 60 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Y: the last man #1. There have been rumors that this will become a TV series one day. This series has received great reviews.

The print run is only 15,287 copies and there are currently 231 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Invincible #1. A lot of people consider this to be the best current super hero comic. If Kirkman decided to make this a TV show the price would most likely take off.

The print run is only 10,751 copies and there are currently 190 copies that received a CGC 9.8

Walking Dead #80. This is my long shot pick. CGC 9.8 Walking Dead collectors know how tough this issue is to find. As of today it’s the second hardest issue to find (for issues #1 -#100) in CGC 9.8. You can pick this comic up for $100 - $125. If it continues to remain scarce the price should go up.

The print run is 29,526 and there are currently 32 copies that received a CGC 9.8.

Invincible #1 is a real key imo. This is a forever hold book if you only have one copy. The pinnacle of modern superhero storytelling and it was an original character. It doesn't get much better that this. (thumbs u

What is a blue marvel? Is it like a red hulk? lol:baiting:

No like Green Lantern or Yellow Jacket...

I wonder about ulti.ate fallout 4. That is a book I got a big stack of out of a 25 cent box at one shop and another had copies at $1. They are good sellers raw at $10-15, maybe $20, now. Is there something that made 9.8s particularly hard? If a book is $200 in 9.8 I'd like to see nice raw copies doing better than $10-20 raw as a sign of longterm strength. Saga 1 is often a triple digit book raw, for example.

I wonder about ulti.ate fallout 4. That is a book I got a big stack of out of a 25 cent box at one shop and another had copies at $1. They are good sellers raw at $10-15, maybe $20, now. Is there something that made 9.8s particularly hard? If a book is $200 in 9.8 I'd like to see nice raw copies doing better than $10-20 raw as a sign of longterm strength. Saga 1 is often a triple digit book raw, for example.

I opened 10-12 copies of bagged UF #4 earlier this year only to find the dreaded line down the back cover on every single issue. My books are all 9.8 except for that flaw. I have no idea what this does to the grade but after going 0 for 8 on CGC 9.8 prescreens, I'm positive I won't be sending any more copies in without figuring out how to get rid of the line down the middle.

Y the Last Man was optioned in October of 2015, after the movie option didn't pan out.

Whether or not either of these actually see TV is yet to be seen. I have a feeling both are on the "optioned" pile until their rights are up.

That doesn't mean that both are not good reads. Unfortunate that the option tag has to drive the price.

Walking Dead #80. Interesting pick and had not heard about it. Wouldn't you say that the number on the census is simply a result of submission? There isn't anything special about that issue that would drive submissions outside of 9.8 run collectors.

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

Unless WD books fall into my lap for nothing I pass on them now. Too many hands in that pot now. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice, but now I know people buying 50 copies of an issue that's when I leave.

I love Invincible and I hope the book falls in prices so I can snag it up. I used to make a killing on issues 7-12 years back.

I think American Vampire would also be a book that might be something long term to look at.

WD keys are win/wins for me. Short term instantly no but if you can hold them a few years and have patience the keys pay off dividends IMO.

I agree with you I see Walking Dead as blue chips like Amazing Spider-Man 1 to 122 and Uncanny X-Men 94 to 143. There always will be a market for them.

Maybe a more relevant equivalent would be Preacher. I don't know how Y and Scalped end. Preacher could be brought back though. Will this go back up though in a ten year term? The option spike has already happened.

What happened with the Preacher tv show? Anyone even watch it? I have not heard word one about it.

Slab prices dropped by almost half because the show stinks. Bad casting all around and they changed too much that didn't need to be changed. I understand certain things had to go because it's on regular cable but it's so ridiculous I can't even "hate watch" it. For all of my gripes about The Watchmen movie, it's a masterpiece compared to this drek

Wow! I didn`t know that. I haven`t watched it yet. I loved the Preacher comic book in the 1990`s.

That`s the thing with non-superhero comic books, not only do they have to be optioned by a Hollywood company,but they have to be good to succeed. Imagine if when Walking Dead first came out and the show stunk? Walking Dead was the perfect storm that will be hard for any non-superhero comic book to replicate.

That`s why the safe bets are Marvel and DC superhero modern keys for speculation.

They got the infrastructure in place to succeed.

Maybe a more relevant equivalent would be Preacher. I don't know how Y and Scalped end. Preacher could be brought back though. Will this go back up though in a ten year term? The option spike has already happened.

What happened with the Preacher tv show? Anyone even watch it? I have not heard word one about it.

Slab prices dropped by almost half because the show stinks. Bad casting all around and they changed too much that didn't need to be changed. I understand certain things had to go because it's on regular cable but it's so ridiculous I can't even "hate watch" it. For all of my gripes about The Watchmen movie, it's a masterpiece compared to this drek

I have not been a fan of the 1st season. Mainly because it didn't resemble the comic book except for a few characters, to me at least. They said they are going to get more into the comic story in the 2nd season.

Slab prices dropped because of the show, but also because that's typical for the market. Can you name an optioned Copper / Modern property that hasn't dropped once the media is released?

1. Walking Dead

2. ....(maybe throw BA12 up there)

3. ......... hm

Preacher slab prices were awfully high considering there is plenty of product out there. It was due for an adjustment. I liked the show. Not crazy liked, but I will watch the next season. My wife liked it enough to keep watching and she will shut us down on shows that don't do it for her.

I have not been a fan of the 1st season. Mainly because it didn't resemble the comic book except for a few characters, to me at least. They said they are going to get more into the comic story in the 2nd season.

Slab prices dropped because of the show, but also because that's typical for the market. Can you name an optioned Copper / Modern property that hasn't dropped once the media is released?

1. Walking Dead

3. ......... hm

NM 98 is still up there, though a couple hundred bucks less because of the supply. Several other Deadpool books havent dropped in price, the 1997 series comes to mind.

GOTG is another one that rose after the movie with the key books holding steady

1. Walking Dead

3. ......... hm

NM 98 is still up there, though a couple hundred bucks less because of the supply. Several other Deadpool books havent dropped in price, the 1997 series comes to mind.

I still say Marvel Preview 4 in low and mid-grade will see growth. Chris Pratt as Starlord is frigging cool. There is a definitely rule of 25 potential with Marvel Preview 4.

1. Walking Dead

3. ......... hm

Depends what you mean by "dropped". All of those books definitely took a nose dive compare to 1-2 months before their movie was released compared to today.

NM 98 Thread

GOTG has definitely dropped.

1_zpskdxoihn0.jpg

This isn't anything new. This is a known market trend.

64 - 40 / 83 - 48%

79 - 31 / 96 - 32%

I agree with you I see Walking Dead as blue chips like Amazing Spider-Man 1 to 122 and Uncanny X-Men 94 to 143. There always will be a market for them.

While I understand what you are saying here, but I just think that ship has sailed for a good majority of the books.(Say 120 and down) A very small amount of keys will continue good appreciation over time, the ability to buy and re-sale for good money I think is gone unless you want to hold a good long time.