• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable multiple you would pay on 9.9 slab vs. 9.8 for 10 year old comic?

44 posts in this topic

What does the census say? Is the higher graded book the lone top census copy? If not, how many other copies have the same grade or an even higher one?

six 9.9's

ten 10.0's

My biggest pause now is that there is barely any difference in registry points between the 9.8 vs. 9.9 for newer comics in general as I peruse this thing. So I would not pay much more given this consideration.

How many 9.8's on the census?

With that ratio, the book is very common in 9.9 and 10.0 grade not much premium,

What does the census say? Is the higher graded book the lone top census copy? If not, how many other copies have the same grade or an even higher one?

six 9.9's

ten 10.0's

My biggest pause now is that there is barely any difference in registry points between the 9.8 vs. 9.9 for newer comics in general as I peruse this thing. So I would not pay much more given this consideration.

With that ratio, the book is very common in 9.9 and 10.0 grade not much premium,

(thumbs u

Putting a trade together tonight. Non-key. What say you - 2X? 3X? 4X?

six 9.9's

ten 10.0's

Depends on the comic. If it's a $20 book then 2X is not that big a deal. If its a $1000 book then it's a big deal.

Right GPA = $50ish

With these kinds of relatively huge population numbers already in the uber HG range and current GPA price, I would say no more than $10 and that's actually being generous from my point of view. :gossip:

Any more and you are probably going to lose money on the book going forward. Even at current prices, you will most probably lose money considering that it is a non-key comic from 10 years ago with these big population numbers. hm

Thanks for stopping by Lou! Do you actually own a modern comic? lol We need to know.

I wouldn't pay any sort of premium.

I wouldn't want to own a 9.9 b/c it probably has one direction to go....down

Probably can't tell the difference between the 9.9 and most 9.8s. Why pay up for it?

Exactly. Plus even the slightest SCS damage from being in a slab would knock a 9.9 down to 9.8 or lower.

With so many copies available (for those high grades at least) and not being a key, then the premium should be smaller. I only sell slabs, never buy them so I am biased as a seller. As a guide to start my analysis, I view the pricing for a hot book double each grade. If a 9.6 is worth $100, then a 9.8 should be roughly $200. For something less hot I might halve that.

Isn't the census feature in comic collecting fairly unreliable? Don't people crack slabs and not report to census takers that book is no longer in slab? Have a hard time wrapping my head around the whole comic census thing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is an Image book.

Its a DC & some Marvel. Any independents I had/have would only be raw. I actually only have left some pre unity issues and that is it. The top two sets in that registry are going to be hard to beat so I really had no interest in pursuing slabs.

I wouldn't pay any sort of premium.

I wouldn't want to own a 9.9 b/c it probably has one direction to go....down

Probably can't tell the difference between the 9.9 and most 9.8s. Why pay up for it?

Exactly. Plus even the slightest SCS damage from being in a slab would knock a 9.9 down to 9.8 or lower.

SCS is always something I am concerned about. Especially in older books (i.e. BA) where certain runs are known for overhang corners because the underlying pages do not line up with the front and back covers.

SCS?

Shaken Slab Syndrome - potential occurrence during shipping or playing football with a slabbed comic.

No way I would pay a premium or even buy a slabbed book that is 10 years old in 9.9/10.0 and most likely wouldn't buy a 10 year old book at all but that not my collecting focus so to each his own.

I'd rather have a 10.0 Aurora Comics Scene book of which there are tons of most of the characters and go cheap for a decades old book.

SCS?

Shaken Slab Syndrome - potential occurrence during shipping or playing football with a slabbed comic.

No way I would pay a premium or even buy a slabbed book that is 10 years old in 9.9/10.0 and most likely wouldn't buy a 10 year old book at all but that not my collecting focus so to each his own.

I'd rather have a 10.0 Aurora Comics Scene book of which there are tons of most of the characters and go cheap for a decades old book.

Thanks. Learning every day.

six 9.9's

ten 10.0's

Depends on the comic. If it's a $20 book then 2X is not that big a deal. If its a $1000 book then it's a big deal.

Right GPA = $50ish

With these kinds of relatively huge population numbers already in the uber HG range and current GPA price, I would say no more than $10 and that's actually being generous from my point of view. :gossip:

Any more and you are probably going to lose money on the book going forward. Even at current prices, you will most probably lose money considering that it is a non-key comic from 10 years ago with these big population numbers. hm

Thanks for stopping by Lou! Do you actually own a modern comic? lol We need to know.

Of course I do! :gossip:

You should see my collection of Modern Comics with the Blackhawks run in them. :baiting:

six 9.9's

ten 10.0's

Right GPA = $50ish

Of course I do! :gossip:

You should see my collection of Modern Comics with the Blackhawks run in them. :baiting:

Well :news:lol(thumbs u

SCS?

Thanks. Learning every day.

I meant to type SCS=Shaken Comic Syndrome. I always call it Shaken Slabe Syndrome but you get the idea.