• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking to finally get into some golden age.

35 posts in this topic

I have been in the same boat for the last couple of years. I have been testing the golden age waters slowly picking up different genres, publishers, artists, and pedigrees. I usually look for something in the two to three hundred range and see how I feel about owning one in my collection. The next couple of books I will be hunting for are a Matt Baker and a Schomburg timely war cover.

Welcome to the dark side my friend. Collecting GA can be challenging and sometimes a bit expensive. Way more fun and rewarding when you finally land a book you've been looking for. Sometimes takes years to land it. If you have no patience stay with SA.

By the way. Baker and Schomburg are great choices. Two of my favorite artists. So many great books to choose from.

As someone who just started dipping into GA as well, definitely define your goals in advance. So far I've just been looking at the classic villain covers (mostly the Joker) from Batman and Detective. I ponied up for an 8.0 Batman 40 recently for two big reasons besides the cover - white pages, and excellent cover cut.

GERBER's PhotoJournals ........ 2 volume GA set........ get them. This is a good place to start...... 21,000 different GA covers with all kinds of sweetazz data and indexing. Take a month to really go through them..... after that you will be filled with the possibilities..... then perhaps you can analyze your motives and arrive at a course of action...... GOD BLESS...

(thumbs u

Tim of rtsunlimited was selling some sets in the GA Sales Forum......

They've been the ruin of many a poor boy ... :cry:

I've been VERY SLOWLY trying to make the jump to GA as well. However, I have yet to jump the gun and buy a book. I'm still trying to find what interests me, but it's way too much. Sure I love the early Batsmans, pre-robin tecs, early actions, but I love nearly every WWII cover as well. I'm still in the process of doing my research

And like others have stated, this stuff is much rarer. It's not like in SA where books are always available, and you can pretty much buy an AF 15 anytime you want as long as you have the money.

I just don't think it'd be wise to all of a sudden jump into GA by buying a $3000 book, unless any other GA collectors are indifferent to my opinion

I've been VERY SLOWLY trying to make the jump to GA as well. However, I have yet to jump the gun and buy a book. I'm still trying to find what interests me, but it's way too much. Sure I love the early Batsmans, pre-robin tecs, early actions, but I love nearly every WWII cover as well. I'm still in the process of doing my research

And like others have stated, this stuff is much rarer. It's not like in SA where books are always available, and you can pretty much buy an AF 15 anytime you want as long as you have the money.

I just don't think it'd be wise to all of a sudden jump into GA by buying a $3000 book, unless any other GA collectors are indifferent to my opinion

.....definitely take it slow. GA is not the arena to approach like a drunken sailor..... you'll quickly end up with a lot of stuff that you "kind of" like, and then when a better book shows up, you're broke. With GA you can still find some decent examples of some cool stuff, even Batman and Baker/Schomburg type books for $ 200 to $ 700. GA books are a little more solidly made than the newer books, and a nice VG/F can often be a very pretty book. One of the main things a newbie in this area needs to decide is raw or slabbed ?...... you can't read the slabbed ones, and many GA books are really cool to flip through from time to time. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Coming from Silver Age myself, the biggest shocks when starting GA were rarity, and condition.

I don't care about rarity. I don't take enjoyment of being the only guy with a book, or the guy with the best example of a book. I just want my copy, and when I want it, I want to be able to find it. Very little in the Silver Age is rare, there are copies of everything to be had on eBay. Not so much in GA. You'll find people paying 4 times guide for some books in the sales threads here, and other people being upset that they missed it. That's why I stick with common stuff.

The other thing that astounded me here was what condition people were willing to accept books in. A silver age collector normally won't touch a Fair unless it's a major key, but GA beater Fairs sell well here. Having an ugly copy is better than not having one at all. I don't mind low grade, but I have to be able to read a comic comfortably without the risk of causing further damage. If you're buying GA, and you have limited funds, you'll probably have to take a hard look at low grades, and see which ones work for you.

Yup, one of the most important thing is figuring out what you like most about collecting, and making sure your purchases serve those needs. Is the investment part of collecting important to you? What condition do you need to be happy with a book? Do you like cool covers, or does the story inside matter more? Are there characters you prefer, or certain artists? Would you rather have one big book or a run of smaller books?

You could spend 3k on a lower grade early Adventure or More Fun, or a Gaines File Copy, or a big stack of mid-grade Fawcetts. All of those are good choices for some people, and terrible for others

Figure out what condition range your comfortable with, and whether covers or contents are more important if you are only buying representative books to start. If you buy a Cap or Batman related book, do you want a cover/art by a particular artist? A war era book? A villain cover/appearance? A minor key? A particular cover motif? A classic cover? Classic stories? A pedigree book? A high grade book? Some combination?

Once you have a clearer idea of just what it is in a GA book that will make you happy, you'll be able to narrow down the choices.

Planet Comics and Venus

(thumbs u A few months ago I "took the plunge" into GA with some Planet comics and Wings comics, so many awesome covers! Still constantly finding a lot of new titles by different publishers, and this 'discovery phase' is very exciting. As previously stated by someone, it's good to pace yourself. I went a little crazy with my buying, now im trying to come up with a more strategic approach and research into grades vs prices, rarity, etc Hard to not buy when people on here post so many awesome books for sale. Very fun!

After reading all of this I'm need to come up with a plan I believe I'm gonna start with some of those cap war covers. They interest me the most. Thanks everone

A very solid decision, join da club :whee:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9699959#Post9699959

Finally gonna try and get into some GA books want to spend about 2/3000 dollars on some or one book. Any suggestions on a good comic in the price range. Thanks

You should consider a Golden Age Superman... :baiting:

superman26.jpg

Jeff;

That's certainly generous of you to offer up a CGC 8.5 graded copy of Supes 26 to a GA newbie for only $2K or $3K. :baiting:lol