• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your comic collecting goals for 2017?

56 posts in this topic

Overall, I will try to focus on selling this year, as I try to free up space and funds to make my collection more focused and higher quality in the years to come.

Selling

• Continue to sell or give away cheap-o moderns.
  • Sell more bronze and copper books
  • Reduce overall collection size by at least 20%
  • Sell books to coincide with movie releases as appropriate
  • Track my overall quarterly budget and be disciplined about sticking to it; sell existing books to fund big ticket purchases if necessary.

Buying

• Complete my SA Teen Titans run (including mid-grade) Brave & Bold 54
  • Pick up SA Flash, X-Men, and GL books when I see them at good prices
  • Pick up high-grade BA Conans (#1-30 only)
  • Continue to dabble in: SA JLA, BA Capt. Marvel (Marvel), GA Shazam, (maybe) SA FF, and a few "big ticket" moderns for diversity
  • Focus on collecting shorter runs (15-20 books) in higher grade, rather than trying to finish epic runs of 100+ books
  • Don't waste time on low-cost books, even if they seem like a good deal.
  • Look for opportunities to buy larger sets/collections, but avoid accumulating junk!

Misc.

• Continue to track all sales and purchases
  • Continue to work on my grading skills
  • Read and enjoy more comix!

Finally, here's a nice blog entry about becoming a better comic investor.

Very nice article. One comment about the Collector vs Investor Characteristics: reasoned purchases, focus of goals and being goal-driven are not characteristics that are lacking from the Collector. They just don't use it with the express goal of making money.

I think the table actually better describes Speculator vs Investor, at least as they pertain to stock. I'm not really familiar with the nuances between comic book speculator vs comic book investor.

Goals for 2017:

• Reduce comic spending.
  • Organize and reduce collection by donating comics I don't intend on reading again.

One comment about the Collector vs Investor Characteristics: reasoned purchases, focus of goals and being goal-driven are not characteristics that are lacking from the Collector. They just don't use it with the express goal of making money.

I agree it is a false dichotomy to put collector and investor at two ends of the spectrum, when, in fact, it is possible to be both a successful investor and a successful collector... or to fail at both. :)

However, I appreciate the writer's overall recommendations, especially when it comes to separating your original biases and emotions from your decisions.

I got a great tip once. I'm gonna keep my collection to one short box. When I get a book, I sell one. Hopefully, this resorts to a higher quality collection

This is my thinking too, only I'm going with two short boxes.

2016 was a really good year for me as I met all my collecting goals including acquiring a South African Supercomix Star Wars. This year, I want to acquire:

1) Scandanavian Star Wars comics I am missing

2) the Argentinian Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back adaptation

3) the Russian Star Wars adaptation

4) Indonesian Star Wars comics I am missing

I want to say finish the Star Wars set from Turkey, but that all depends on if they allow PayPal back into the country or not.

Hunt down all my Lady Death books, complete grading and signing of books i currently have (and only those books), Sell the books I no longer need/want and live happily ever after!

1) Stop spending so much money on readers as I don't have time to read anymore

2) Attend more conventions

3) Get more celeb signed books and commissions

4) Stop buying so many convention exclusives

5) Finally get a copy of BA12 in 9.8

Finishing my Planet Comics run would be great. Not sure that will happen, but you never know.

I made some very good progress on the run in 2016, much more than I thought I would.

Have an amazing 2017 everyone!

Warmest Regards,

Jason

A good question. . . I'd like to:

1) Organize and log what I can (I got software and a scanner for Christmas), and scan the big books.

2) Work on my Doctor Who signed collections.

3) Work on my X-Men run. I'm not sure whether I should re-evaluate my condition criteria or not.

4) I've gotten more interested in some non-Big Two late-Coppers/early-Moderns, so grabbing those when I can.