• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Local Comic Shops (LCS) necssary for the hobby to prosper?

103 posts in this topic

I just saw a couple videos on my Facebook pages from owners of LCS who are pleading with people to frequent a shop - any shop because sales are way low. I don't own a store and I've not been in a shop in several months so I do not even know the current market in my area but are things that bad?

I'd guess most of us found out about comics from either the local spinner racks or a comic shop so I can see the argument that comic shops help bring in the next generation but is that really happening? With the huge explosion in local comic cons have these become the place where new people go to stumble upon a cool new series and then they order additional books from either Amazon or E-Bay? If all the local shop instantly became online stores would it really effect the comic market in general?

The comic stores in my area cater to the role playing games and newer comics and stuff, there's nothing for the vintage collector. The only reason i ever go is for supplies. Would i love a store like Jamie Newbolds Southern California comics or Americas Heroes in Killeen,TX near me???? Absolutely.

The ability to buy comics off the local spinner rack at a deli/convenient store worked great when I was buying for reading and simply accumulating them. That ease of access created exposure to a large population of readers and offered a chance to check out a new title or new character. It also helped that you could buy several books for a $1.00 - low risk in trying something new. Plus, it was a short walk or bike ride away and half the time, my parents sent me there for milk or bread anyway....I didn't need to make an extra trip to buy comics, they were where we shopped for everyday stuff.

When I started buying back issues and creating a collection, an LCS or other outlet became necessary. That turned into online sources as well as conventions & flea markets.

Still hit up an LCS when I travel for fun, but other than maybe an "emergency" box purchase, not on my regular schedule. When I do go, don't see a lot of young blood (in our NE Ohio market), most customers are 40+.

2c To keep the hobby prospering, comics need be easily available at places people already go, reasonably affordable and have quality content.

-bc

I still go to my old LCS to pick up few of my new comics, supplies and special orders. I don't really chase the new comics a lot. Too much changes unlike what I remembered.

I've not noticed if people are still supports the new books, so I don't know.

I had to close my comic book store as people bought online and I could never compete with the online prices. My overhead, having a shop in a big town, was way to high to survive on comics.

Looking at the cons: they are filled with the big online stores and every year less and less small comic shop dealers.

So I think they are not needed (anymore)

I just saw a couple videos on my Facebook pages from owners of LCS who are pleading with people to frequent a shop - any shop because sales are way low. I don't own a store and I've not been in a shop in several months so I do not even know the current market in my area but are things that bad?

I'd guess most of us found out about comics from either the local spinner racks or a comic shop so I can see the argument that comic shops help bring in the next generation but is that really happening? With the huge explosion in local comic cons have these become the place where new people go to stumble upon a cool new series and then they order additional books from either Amazon or E-Bay? If all the local shop instantly became online stores would it really effect the comic market in general?

For there to be new blood into the hobby I think the answer is yes as newsstand/bookstore distribution is so rare nowadays. I was in Barnes & Noble and they only had about 8 different issues out there. If kids never see comics I don't see why they would want them. Of course, there are so few shops left I don't really know how much of the population has access if they want it. Probably a decent chunk in big cities.

Honestly, I'm a bottom feeder and its pretty rare for me to hit a shop and not find something worthwhile. Maybe its not worth the effort, but you can also have some nice scores too.

It's true, many shop owners don't help their cause by being surly and off-putting to "regular" people, so they loose those folks wandering in and what not and, frankly, those people may be the least price conscious of their customers, so they shouldn't scare them off. It's a fine line, because you don't want to scare off collectors too. A place near me, Bergen Street Comics, closed, and they were clearly the after school stop for yuppies and their kids in that affluent area...women who never set foot in a regular comic shop would go in there because it was so classy. They had clean people working the counter, usually a woman or a guy who knew nothing about comics but who bathed twice a day. They pushed GNs and TPBs hard. Even my wife thought it was nice. But they were so anti-collector they had no bags and boards and wouldn't let you buy dupes, even with different variant covers. On the other hand, variants went out on the rack at cover price and most of what did not sell after 4-6 months went into a 25 cent box, so if you timed things right it was nice. Of course, they closed, which does not surprise me because the space must have been very expensive (they were a block from the Barclays Center).

For there to be new blood into the hobby I think the answer is yes as newsstand/bookstore distribution is so rare nowadays. I was in Barnes & Noble and they only had about 8 different issues out there. If kids never see comics I don't see why they would want them. Of course, there are so few shops left I don't really know how much of the population has access if they want it. Probably a decent chunk in big cities.

Honestly, I'm a bottom feeder and its pretty rare for me to hit a shop and not find something worthwhile. Maybe its not worth the effort, but you can also have some nice scores too.

It's true, many shop owners don't help their cause by being surly and off-putting to "regular" people, so they loose those folks wandering in and what not and, frankly, those people may be the least price conscious of their customers, so they shouldn't scare them off. It's a fine line, because you don't want to scare off collectors too. A place near me, Bergen Street Comics, closed, and they were clearly the after school stop for yuppies and their kids in that affluent area...women who never set foot in a regular comic shop would go in there because it was so classy. They had clean people working the counter, usually a woman or a guy who knew nothing about comics but who bathed twice a day. They pushed GNs and TPBs hard. Even my wife thought it was nice. But they were so anti-collector they had no bags and boards and wouldn't let you buy dupes, even with different variant covers. On the other hand, variants went out on the rack at cover price and most of what did not sell after 4-6 months went into a 25 cent box, so if you timed things right it was nice. Of course, they closed, which does not surprise me because the space must have been very expensive (they were a block from the Barclays Center).

I've come across a few stores like this in very specific places around the country. Not my bag of tea, but in all cases they were making good $$ and paying high $$ rent. Its so important now to know your market and what they're looking for, and to be able to give it to them.

LCS will continue to exist just as brick and mortar book stores continue to exist. Even if it is an ever shrinking number, there will always be a group of customers that want to feel and see the physical items before they buy. Especially in a hobby where condition is becoming more and more important to a subset of buyers.

I also think there is room for these local store to do well, but like other physical stores, they have to find ways to attract costumers and offer services that are impossible to offer online.

I got into comics by way of Marvel Unlimited and Kindle (digital). Marvel's Bonus Digital Editions got me to step foot inside the LCS ($3.99 for digital only was hard to stomach but $3.99 for both print+digital is a bit more palatable). Staff is pretty nice so I continue to patronize the LCS. The instant gratification factor that you don't get via mail order is also nice.

That said, I wouldn't say the LCS provides an essential service for me so personally, I don't really view them as necessary. Certainly nice to have but not quite necessary.

Needed? perhaps not...

But they would be missed and after long enough without one, someone would say, "Hey, I have an idea!" and open a comic store

I believe they are taken for granted by those who have them near. I mean think about it, it is like having a comic con in your own backyard that you are privy to at you leisure! And if not THEY SHOULD BE!! I don't blame star: writer's, inkers, pencilers, etc for showing up at con's, but Comic Stores should live up to the hype and come up with some kind of nostalgia, entertainment, guests, signings, CGC witness etc. (A lot near me do Pokemon, Magic the Gathering etc) With the limited number of big "stars" available for "every comic store in America ( and later the WORLD) " I don't see it as possible. But I'm sure every comic book store owner is thinking everyday, "how can I do better business?" I think some have there niche

I live in Dallas, so some stores major in back issues some statues some key's some have great music some a video describing back comic books and their characters....etc I think it just depends on when the business started what people continued to come for and what sold in what neighborhood. SO everyone did their part rantrant:makepoint: It all gets kinda blurry and then the internet happened.

but I think people find the LCS and then make the leap to the internet, unless you know about the CGC and the boards, I don't think their is a logical jump to knowing all the characters in comics to look them up and finding resulting key's----and if we're counting on movie's to generate that hype then might as well flip a penny into a well cause that would only scratch the surface....

I'd really like to say yes. I for one very much enjoy my weekly run to my LCS. The owner there is the one who initially got me excited about comics and the one who still to this day amazes me with his passion and knowledge. Sure, I can get my books cheaper online, but unless I just can't get a book from my LCS, he always gets first swing. The danger of a world w/o the LCS is very similar to an online college course. It loses its' personality, its' ability to answer questions, to make recommendations based on conversations.

So, I'm going to say YES, but the hobby would continue without LCS, but the hobby would be worse off for it.

Just my 2c

+ think what you'd pay in shipping for a single ongoing series that you like, we all have a few, but just starting out who wants to pay 2.99 for the comic and 3.+ for shipping just to try something out...... LCS will be around for a while. If they disappear, movies would come out and parents would tell their kids, "You know? There used to be an ongoing story/series..... :blahblah: etc."

I mean without LCS I don't think comics would survive as it is, it would be in TPB form or a novel...

And yes I know there is online versions of comics but I don't think that would be the same, I don't know of anyone that is purely online without having EVER had a hard copy.... to me this makes all the difference, to each his own :)

I also don't know of any PURELY online comics that are worth reading, so I don't worry about it :)

Comics started mostly in Newspapers, so until there is a publication that is PURELY online that is all the rage then I am not too concerned :foryou:

I know there was a lengthy breakdown recently about how accurately online sellers grade their books, but it is important to the discussion. I have purchased a few higher dollar GA books online, because I wanted them and no LCS has GA around me. I would much rather have purchased them locally, as all the issues (my luck maybe) came back 1 grade lower than advertised. I am not condemning the seller, and would consider buying from them again as grade is somewhat subjective. Still, if I had been able to hold these comics, and spoken to the store owner, I would still have gotten them, but may have been able to negotiate price a little better.

If I owned a LCS I would be all over the internet , facebook instagram ebay etc..

trying to sell my comics( mostly back issues) comic art action figure you name it .I think they have enough spare time to roam around the internet and help loyal customers in the shop at the same time.