• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Local Comic Shops (LCS) necssary for the hobby to prosper?

103 posts in this topic

Of the five closest shops I can think of, four are comics only and one is a combo games and comics place, but that's how it was originally conceived when it opened about 27 years ago. So at least in this very urban area, comics only places are more the rule than the exception.

That's good to hear, but your pov might be as a result of being urban as you said and just knowing the comics shops better. When I google Berkeley mtg shop I can find just as many of those. The greater trend, at least in this city as I suspect in most places, has been for comics shops to start carrying other things like mtg, and or shutting down while mtg stores continue to pop up. 20 years ago there were very few stores that just did table top games and these days I'd say they outnumber comics stores and they certainly seem to sell more product

I think with Half Price Books and the proliferation of graphic novels online (amazon et al), there is a shrinking market for a comics store. Someone was complaining on FB that the sales threads were basically a proxy for ebay and there were no more deals. Everyone is looking to flip, so the stores have to compete with all the online sellers that don't have the overhead. I don't know about new issues, but apparently they're flat to down.

So with having to order lots of dead stock to get the rare variants that everyone wants, having to compete with larger volume online sellers for graphic novels, and the flippers that will sell back issues without the expenses I don't see how an LCS can survive let alone prosper. Every time I see a thread about someone asking about opening a LCS, everyone says just burn your money and kick yourself in the nuts and you'll get the same effect.

It's odd, comics seem to be at an all time high in popularity and acceptance, yet the stores seem to be an endangered species. Cons, auction sites and online sellers are probably less risky endeavors, and they're all taking a piece of the pie.

You have some very valid points. I do use my LCS weekly for moderns. He does a very good job of getting good new stock, and does buy a lot of collects. With that said, as I have started selling some of my own stuff, I am doing it directly through either here or eBay rather than selling my stuff do him. Ultimately (despite the increased effort), I know I will get a greater return on my stuff than he would give me in a bulk purchase. Especially since I plan on keeping the keys, and personal favorites which is the stuff he would be looking to cherry pick.

+100 ---------- Add to it the fact that the constant re-boots and variant hunting basically took out 50-60 percent of loyal LCS pull list customers. A great number of older subscribers are fatigued by new comics. The fact that most stores played it tight for the 15 years previous to the current market (final order cutoffs ect..) They dont have huge back stocks of issues. Throw in the Barnes & nobles and amazons for graphic novels there is not much left. Ordering more than needed or ordering 6 covers for one issue has put a huge strain on the average LCS. I think that the larger LCS and the well stocked vintage shops will continue to thrive and do well , the little ones not so much.

Seriously these publishers would thrive with a couple simple moves. Tie in advertising for retail comics to the movies and TV and STOP the #1 wildly_fanciful_statement.

My wife pointed out there is a local shop that does monthly events like local artists night and I think they even have a beer tasting event (not sure the specifics on that one) and they seem to be doing very well. I think they are called Carol and John Comics and although I personally hate the shop it does seem to be pretty busy with a nice mix of people coming thru the door. Their older book selection pretty much sucks and what they do have is aggressively priced (which is why I hate it in there) but they do have an impressive wall of new books and they do have a nice selection of TPBs.

Maybe the key in todays market is to cater to the casual modern buyers by having events to bring in new blood. Sounds like a lot of work but if it keeps the shop afloat then I guess it's worthwhile.

It's odd, comics seem to be at an all time high in popularity and acceptance, yet the stores seem to be an endangered species. Cons, auction sites and online sellers are probably less risky endeavors, and they're all taking a piece of the pie.

A centrally located Vancouver, BC comic store is closing Jan. 31, 2017 and they have over 100 subscribers. A 2nd LCS that has nil subscribers should logically close by Dec. 31, 2017. Rent and monthly property tax in Vancouver is highest in Canada which pushes brick n mortar shops to close. :boo:

We have monthly comic centric cons and monthly antique show/flea markets plus weekly Sunday flea markets where pop culture can be sold. May be more time efficient to just sell on the weekends and eBay, Craigs.list or consign your goods during the week from the comfort of your home laptop and pajamas. meh

That's good to hear, but your pov might be as a result of being urban as you said and just knowing the comics shops better. When I google Berkeley mtg shop I can find just as many of those. The greater trend, at least in this city as I suspect in most places, has been for comics shops to start carrying other things like mtg, and or shutting down while mtg stores continue to pop up. 20 years ago there were very few stores that just did table top games and these days I'd say they outnumber comics stores and they certainly seem to sell more product

Yes, exactly. My point is that in a very urban setting, comics-only stores can do well. The Magic shops are separate.

When I think of the LCS in a town of 30,000 to 100,000, I see more of a strip mall store that may well carry some comics but mostly be MTG, t-shirts, etc.

To Aardvark's point, same thing going on here, especially in San Francisco. Basically every SF shop that sells back issues has closed, except one or one and a half. And those just happen to have some books but it's not really that serious. To survive in SF right now with sky high rents you have to be very clever and there is only room for so many stores. But it's not all negative. Comix Experience has been open since 1989 and in the newspaper about a year ago said his best year ever was last year. I don't think the trend is necessarily down, more flat nationwide.

A centrally located Vancouver, BC comic store is closing Jan. 31, 2017 and they have over 100 subscribers. A 2nd LCS that has nil subscribers should logically close by Dec. 31, 2017. Rent and monthly property tax in Vancouver is highest in Canada which pushes brick n mortar shops to close. :boo:

We have monthly comic centric cons and monthly antique show/flea markets plus weekly Sunday flea markets where pop culture can be sold. May be more time efficient to just sell on the weekends and eBay, Craigs.list or consign your goods during the week from the comfort of your home laptop and pajamas. meh

What shops, Allan?

No. The internet killed the requirement of any LCS. I've visited my local TFAW once in the past 5 years and didn't buy anything because they don't carry any slabbed boxes/bags, nor care (or even apparently know about) comic grading companies.

Want to read a comic? Buy it on Comixology. Can't find it online and want to read a physical book? Find it on ebay/favorite online comic shop. Need a collectible statue, CGC box? SA bags? Online, online, online. I don't know of many LCS' that get in variants for ordering X amount of books, certainly not my LCS.

Jerome

Yes, but the local comic shops have to be willing to change with the times. You have to have a online presents and sales. Most thriving comics shops are not just about comics. They have had to expand into pop culture and gaming to prosper.

I loved the old style comic shops from when I was a kid that had walls of Keys and boxes of back issues. Thats all they did. I unfortunately think those shops will be few and far between in the years to come.

Yes, but the local comic shops have to be willing to change with the times. You have to have a online presents and sales. Most thriving comics shops are not just about comics. They have had to expand into pop culture and gaming to prosper.

well said. the shops that still operate like its 1987 are closing.

Looking at the cons: they are filled with the big online stores and every year less and less small comic shop dealers with weirdos.

So I think they are not needed (anymore)

Fixed it for ya. :P

:whee:

No, but seriously, I love LCSs and conventions... there is nothing like physically going through back issues boxes..one of my greatest joys in life.

The local comic shop has been replaced by the local game shop (magic cards). These days if you want to have a shop IMO you pretty much have to sell mtg. You can sell comics on the side but the focus has to be something else for it to work

That's definitely not the case here. The comic shops outnumber, and are mostly separate from, the gaming shops. While most comic shops do carry some M:tG, it's basically limited to packs of the current set and I wouldn't consider comics to be "on the side" for any shops that sell them.

The biggest store basically has a 50/50 split of comics and gaming.

GalaxyLayout.jpg

Well, of course. Every business has to change with the times. How many businesses are run exactly the same now as they were 20 or 30 years ago?

I guess the point I'm making is that around here, the comic shops that do best are the ones that carry the least comics lol

It's tough to make ends meet just on comics. Magic is great for business, players open up packs like crack. I still think a well run, friendly shop can survive and thrive in this market.

As to the title of this thread, comic shops are very important to the hobby. It's hard enough to find sellers of comics now, every shop we lose means less physical sales and less visibility..

Media that a lot of us grew up with is going away or gone. Book stores and record stores have all but disapeared. I doubt I could find a sports card shop any more. Comic book stores are just hanging in. Sadly, it's all going electronic.

Just saw most albums sold last year in the past 30 or something like that. I could never tell if it was live or Memorex, but some people love the vinyl.

The worst thing that happened to the LCS was not necessarily online selling of new comics, but rather what eBay did to the back stock market. Books that were thought rare or hard to get were often sold at inflated prices at LCS'. Many collectors bought them, because other than cons or lots of driving we had nowhere else to get back issue. I remember it took me months and like 10 stores to put together some runs. Plus when you finally tracked down that long coveted issue you grabbed it often regardless of grade because you had found the stupid thing finally.

Enter eBay and books that were advertised as rare were now easy to find, and often very cheap. Combine that with the post 90's dark ages, and it became a perfect storm.

I still think there is a place for LCS, but the business model has clearly changed.

Most thriving comics shops are not just about comics. They have had to expand into pop culture and gaming to prosper.

Rx Comics at Main/Broadway, Vancouver closing Jan. 31, 2017. No blow out sale at the shop yet but watch for them at local comicons and online.

Comic Land, Rupert at E. 22nd Ave, Vancouver should have closed last year when they lost their final subscriber. :slapfight:

The worst thing that happened to the LCS was not necessarily online selling of new comics, but rather what eBay did to the back stock market. Books that were thought rare or hard to get were often sold at inflated prices at LCS'. Many collectors bought them, because other than cons or lots of driving we had nowhere else to get back issue. I remember it took me months and like 10 stores to put together some runs. Plus when you finally tracked down that long coveted issue you grabbed it often regardless of grade because you had found the stupid thing finally.

Enter eBay and books that were advertised as rare were now easy to find, and often very cheap. Combine that with the post 90's dark ages, and it became a perfect storm.

I still think there is a place for LCS, but the business model has clearly changed.

Shows, at least in my neck of the woods (NYC), already did that.

But remember, ebay came along at a time when the back issue market had been decimated for like 4-5 years already. 1995-1999 were not pleasant times for comic shops and then ebay comes along. People were buying comics on ebay for $1 because it was fun to buy on line that their shop would have for $1 or less. This would drive my old shop owner crazy when someone would tell him about the pile of they bought on ebay and he'd be like "I have all that stuff over there in my 50 cent boxes!"