• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Local Comic Shops (LCS) necssary for the hobby to prosper?

103 posts in this topic

I hear you :) it's funny I like to buy CGC online because unless I crack it I'm not going to read it... When I eventually (if ever) sell, it is hard to want to sell to my LCS because I have and they don't seem to negotiate on that end, they will however negotiate when they sell which I guess they have to account for when buying....sigh..... idk I would buy CGC graded online and only perhaps sell the same online, but when it comes to raw I prefer the LCS due to negotiating and also I can send it through them to CGC if I ever wanted to.... :angel:

Now I will caveat this by saying that I have not bought a raw comic since 1983. Prior to 1983, I spent WAY too much time in my two LCS (Queen City Comics and Grant Comics) here in Buffalo. My career took my on another path and I just rekindled my passion this past year.

Over the past 9 months I have had the pleasure of buying Sketch covers, CGC graded issues that I wish I would have bought and newer SS issues that look like ones that I will want to keep. I also lamented the many issues I sold in that year (NM copies of TOS 39, Avengers 1,X-Men 1, Hulk 1, and Conan 1-50). I am also grading and selling the many thousands of comics that I bought in the 70's and 80's. At first, I was upset that I never put backing boards on my issues until a year ago, but then I realized that 99% of all of them came back White Pages. Now, I am not so upset with my lapse in judgement.

As far as that likely 9.4-9.6 TOS #39... If you were the dealer that bought this copy in 1982-83 at a Buffalo airport hotel for 120.00, please let me know how it turned out. I bought it for 40.00 and was happy for the sale, but would love to know what happened to it.

Over this past 6 months, my LCS owner (Emil at Queen City Comics) has been such a great help with supplies and suggestions for my new hobby. I look forward to the future of this hobby online and in person.

So, YES to LCS support!

I just saw a couple videos on my Facebook pages from owners of LCS who are pleading with people to frequent a shop - any shop because sales are way low. I don't own a store and I've not been in a shop in several months so I do not even know the current market in my area but are things that bad?

I'd guess most of us found out about comics from either the local spinner racks or a comic shop so I can see the argument that comic shops help bring in the next generation but is that really happening? With the huge explosion in local comic cons have these become the place where new people go to stumble upon a cool new series and then they order additional books from either Amazon or E-Bay? If all the local shop instantly became online stores would it really effect the comic market in general?

Some of it is also lack of quality content from the publishers and the fact that there's little care shown from publishers for the retailers. I don't think it's all an online problem. Many readers are simply disenfranchised with the content these days.

There are a few stores that have aggressively pursued vintage and they are still going strong.

I think it's hard for an LCS to prosper because the amount of product they have to carry in hopes of piquing someone's interest is so large - it's probably a major drain on funds. I feel bad for owners in that sense. I don't have lots of time to visit my LCS anymore - but I do try to go just to support the local guy. Ebay and cons and places like the CGC boards make it so easy to get what you want, the LCS is on the way out, I think.

Run a comic shop like a business and it will thrive. That means bringing in young kids that are currently playing card games among other things. Get people in the store social media is a requirement as well as ebay and facebook.

Run a comic shop like a hobby and it will go out of business sooner or later.

Its that simple.

I think for those of us on here, and the many collectors who aren't that have been at it a long time, we can all figure out how to participate with or without an LCS. But I do not see a future for the hobby (new content or most vintage) without some broad means of attracting new readers (many of whom of course become the vintage collectors as we did).

If not LCS's, publishers better figure out how. And it is not movies and titles written for adults. Again, that's great for us but I do not know any adult who has taken up collecting due to casual movie exposure.

In an amalgam of what several of you have already said, the future beyond us (whether you are in your 20s or 70s), the future that would include newly minted collectors, comes from affordable, broadly available, all-ages content.

We're fine. For there to be a future for the industry (new content) and the hobby (collecting) a broader net is needed.

I have honestly been wondering whether the recent flight to keys has had more to do with older collectors thinking the future looks smaller than with new entrants driving up the price.

Run a comic shop like a business and it will thrive. That means bringing in young kids that are currently playing card games among other things. Get people in the store social media is a requirement as well as ebay and facebook.

Its that simple.

I think everyone can agree running a successful comic shop is a full time business but is it a business that is really necessary at this point in the comic industry? Has online sales and the nearby comic con every couple weeks killed the need for the shops entirely? Other then for brand new comic day I've come to think the answer is yes. I get suppplies cheaper, comic book related gifts cheaper and pretty much everything else cheaper via the online stores. I know there are a lot of people even on the boards who make money via the stores but it does not look good to me in the long (or short) term.

Its that simple.

I think everyone can agree running a successful comic shop is a full time business but is it a business that is really necessary at this point in the comic industry? Has online sales and the nearby comic con every couple weeks killed the need for the shops entirely? Other then for brand new comic day I've come to think the answer is yes. I get suppplies cheaper, comic book related gifts cheaper and pretty much everything else cheaper via the online stores. I know there are a lot of people even on the boards who make money via the stores but it does not look good to me in the long (or short) term.

its good to give the nerds a reason to go out once a week, put some pants on, etc.

Yes I know that stereotype isn't as true as it once was, but I know more than a few people who still just hang out at the LCS and pretty much go nowhere else but school and/or work, if even that much. Maybe those people will find other places to go....or just stay inside and stream Bojack Horseman for the 800th time.

IMO, LCS are beneficial for readers who are not heavily into collecting older pulls. The internet has become a resource for older books for the heavy collector, investments etc. LCS are beneficial for people who just want a good read(what's current, graphic novels etc)and not care of very expensive books. Also, they're great for kids starting out to read comics.

My own personal view is this.

I am an older purchaser and I collect amazing spider-man and Iron man, both volume 1. The worst thing I think Marvel and DC could do is start their primary series over at #1 to capture some interest. I assume they thought they believed that it was to insurmountable for new readers to get into a series that has 700 issues. But to me that is part of the fun. Once I saw the list of variants for Vol 3. of ASM I was done with new stuff.

So many LCS's I go to never have any back issues and I understand about overhead and space. I like to dig for nice copies of ASM or IM.

The point that was made about keys I think has validity. I buy CGC keys as a hedge against other investments.

When I do go into a LCS I never look at Marvel or DC but try to find the independents because they have better, fresh ideas in my mind. They are hard to find through the 10 batman or 12 spiderman titles out there. I realize that may be an exaggeration but you get my point.

I think with Half Price Books and the proliferation of graphic novels online (amazon et al), there is a shrinking market for a comics store. Someone was complaining on FB that the sales threads were basically a proxy for ebay and there were no more deals. Everyone is looking to flip, so the stores have to compete with all the online sellers that don't have the overhead. I don't know about new issues, but apparently they're flat to down.

So with having to order lots of dead stock to get the rare variants that everyone wants, having to compete with larger volume online sellers for graphic novels, and the flippers that will sell back issues without the expenses I don't see how an LCS can survive let alone prosper. Every time I see a thread about someone asking about opening a LCS, everyone says just burn your money and kick yourself in the nuts and you'll get the same effect.

It's odd, comics seem to be at an all time high in popularity and acceptance, yet the stores seem to be an endangered species. Cons, auction sites and online sellers are probably less risky endeavors, and they're all taking a piece of the pie.

I think with Half Price Books and the proliferation of graphic novels online (amazon et al), there is a shrinking market for a comics store. Someone was complaining on FB that the sales threads were basically a proxy for ebay and there were no more deals. Everyone is looking to flip, so the stores have to compete with all the online sellers that don't have the overhead. I don't know about new issues, but apparently they're flat to down.

So with having to order lots of dead stock to get the rare variants that everyone wants, having to compete with larger volume online sellers for graphic novels, and the flippers that will sell back issues without the expenses I don't see how an LCS can survive let alone prosper. Every time I see a thread about someone asking about opening a LCS, everyone says just burn your money and kick yourself in the nuts and you'll get the same effect.

It's odd, comics seem to be at an all time high in popularity and acceptance, yet the stores seem to be an endangered species. Cons, auction sites and online sellers are probably less risky endeavors, and they're all taking a piece of the pie.

You have some very valid points. I do use my LCS weekly for moderns. He does a very good job of getting good new stock, and does buy a lot of collects. With that said, as I have started selling some of my own stuff, I am doing it directly through either here or eBay rather than selling my stuff do him. Ultimately (despite the increased effort), I know I will get a greater return on my stuff than he would give me in a bulk purchase. Especially since I plan on keeping the keys, and personal favorites which is the stuff he would be looking to cherry pick.

If not LCS's, publishers better figure out how. And it is not movies and titles written for adults. Again, that's great for us but I do not know any adult who has taken up collecting due to casual movie exposure.

In an amalgam of what several of you have already said, the future beyond us (whether you are in your 20s or 70s), the future that would include newly minted collectors, comes from affordable, broadly available, all-ages content.

We're fine. For there to be a future for the industry (new content) and the hobby (collecting) a broader net is needed.

I have honestly been wondering whether the recent flight to keys has had more to do with older collectors thinking the future looks smaller than with new entrants driving up the price.

I got started reading comics because of The Avengers (2012) movie (well, primarily because Marvel wouldn't make a Black Widow movie). My entry is a very affordable $7/mo Marvel Unlimited subscription. Granted, even if digital/subscription is cheap, I did have a $1000 iPad (purchased for manga) on which to comfortably read comics to begin with. I could never get used to guided view on small smartphone displays. :D

I reckon the flight to keys is because the proliferation of TPB/omnibus reprints and digital editions means new readers don't have to pay $$$ to complete runs for series anymore. Granted, I can't ever imagine myself ever buying a 20-page $1K comic book (unless inflation increases that $1K becomes the equivalent of $100).

I got started reading comics because of The Avengers (2012) movie (well, primarily because Marvel wouldn't make a Black Widow movie). My entry is a very affordable $7/mo Marvel Unlimited subscription. Granted, even if digital/subscription is cheap, I did have a $1000 iPad (purchased for manga) on which to comfortably read comics to begin with. I could never get used to guided view on small smartphone displays. :D

I reckon the flight to keys is because the proliferation of TPB/omnibus reprints and digital editions means new readers don't have to pay $$$ to complete runs for series anymore. Granted, I can't ever imagine myself ever buying a 20-page $1K comic book (unless inflation increases that $1K becomes the equivalent of $100).

Ok, I now have an "N" of 1 for movie converts! Seriously, I'd be glad to be wrong, but I still think a broader net, cast for a younger readership, helps.

Hmmm.....you can't see yourself buying a $1k book, but you're four years into the hobby, and you have bought a $1k iPad....we need an Aerischan's first key pool! I say you one day stumble into an undergraded Avengers #1 in the wild and pull the trigger....or will it be a high-grade TOS 52 slab from a boardie??? Bwahahaha! :roflmao:

Really, welcome to the hobby and I'm glad I'm at least partly incorrect. But the collector of 20 years from now may look and operate differently from many of us veteran collectors today. (I'm 50 and bought my first back-issue key in 8th grade -- $60 for a NM X-Men 94 to go with my well-worn copy that I bought off the newsstand.)

Ok, I now have an "N" of 1 for movie converts! Seriously, I'd be glad to be wrong, but I still think a broader net, cast for a younger readership, helps.

Hmmm.....you can't see yourself buying a $1k book, but you're four years into the hobby, and you have bought a $1k iPad....we need an Aerischan's first key pool! I say you one day stumble into an undergraded Avengers #1 in the wild and pull the trigger....or will it be a high-grade TOS 52 slab from a boardie??? Bwahahaha! :roflmao:

Really, welcome to the hobby and I'm glad I'm at least partly incorrect. But the collector of 20 years from now may look and operate differently from many of us veteran collectors today. (I'm 50 and bought my first back-issue key in 8th grade -- $60 for a NM X-Men 94 to go with my well-worn copy that I bought off the newsstand.)

I definitely agree on needing a broader net. That was kinda what I was trying to say when I made the $1K iPad comment. Digital comics can be very affordable, the problem is one needs a device to read on and typically a credit card in order to buy books so it's not quite as accessible as, say, a $2 printed floppy you can buy at a convenience store. Granted, I'm sure Amazon's trying to lower the barrier to entry via cheap Kindle tablets (alas, haven't had a good experience with cheap tablets). It would be quite interesting to see the future of comics as collectibles if digital does end up becoming the new newsstand.

I originally bought an iPad because there just wasn't enough space for all the Japanese manga/Korean manhwa/Chinese manhua I wanted to read. Manga I've been reading for, hmm, 15-20 years now and I started the switch to digital around 2011 (iPad 2). I'm actually just 2-3 months into collecting American comics and I would probably never have started without Marvel Unlimited (got a 1-month free trial via Blu-ray/Disney Movie Rewards code around April/May 2016). Admittedly, it's not like I'm totally new to American comics. Just new to most super hero comics and collecting single issues. First comic I ever bought were Archie digests way back in grade school during book fairs and I used to read Spider-Man comic strips in the Sunday papers. Also bought slipcase collected editions of Peanuts, Dilbert, etc (but those were after I started working and making money).

And definitely, definitely agree on needing more kid-friendly content. I grew up in the 90s to early 2000s when there were awesome comic-based cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series, Spider-Man, X-Men, Justice League, Teen Titans, Batman Beyond, etc. I've been rewatching Batman: TAS recently and I'm quite surprised at how enjoyable it is to watch even as an adult. It wasn't just good because of nostalgia goggles. I think it's an excellent example of all ages doesn't mean you have to dumb down content. Heck, one of my all-time favorite anime/manga is Rurouni Kenshin which is all-ages and I got an A in Japanese history thanks to that. :D

My holy grail is a Tec 27 but early retirement seems a far more attainable goal. I do have an inexpensive coverless TOS 52 I got from a boardie. :D

Perhaps the bigger question is whether or not the hobby is actually prospering at all.

If this is about the distribution of comics, it brings up an interesting situation. The trend in all forms of media (movie, TV, etc) has been for those companies to either align or out right purchase their own distribution channels.

I don't know if LCSs have any impact one way or another. Some I've been to have nothing I am interested in but appeal to newer fans of the movies. Then again, I am simply into the back issues, which for the grade I care about can be had cheaper via ebay.

I don't see LCS ever dying off completely-- which is great for those who enjoy them -- as some of those who like them eventually dream of opening their own. It is not unlike the desire to open a bar or restaurant in that respect.

PS-- I sort of disagree with what someone mentioned variants as being something "everyone" wanted-- perhaps they meant people who are into modern books.

The local comic shop has been replaced by the local game shop (magic cards). These days if you want to have a shop IMO you pretty much have to sell mtg. You can sell comics on the side but the focus has to be something else for it to work

Of the five closest shops I can think of, four are comics only and one is a combo games and comics place, but that's how it was originally conceived when it opened about 27 years ago. So at least in this very urban area, comics only places are more the rule than the exception.